Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881809 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1575 on: May 05, 2012, 10:30:48 am »

Did you actually set the chains in your luxury prison bedrooms to be usable for Justice?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: May 05, 2012, 10:41:30 am »

How do I get a wounded soldier to drop his uniform?

"Dropping his uniform" isn't the solution to your actual problem, which is "How to get a wounded soldier to Rest so he can be dragged to the hospital".

I don't have a surefire answer for that either.  I'd start by taking the squad off duty.  If he reverts to a civilian, that might trigger him to consider Resting, or something.  I dunno.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: May 05, 2012, 12:44:47 pm »

What shall I do to my vampire, if I decide nothing is not enough?
Is the justice department bugged, or have I done something wrong?

Re the justice thing, my first thought was also to make sure you've declared your chains for justice. And make sure you have nobles in the proper slots.

Re: vampires, my current preferred method of disposal is to assign any known vampires to a naked separate squad (without food or water to keep them from collecting it), and assigning them to go out solo to fight any invasions, or to fight in the arena against captured enemies. You could also try stationing them somewhere that you can atom-smash them, or something. Or you could just lock them into a room, but you'd have to watch and make sure they don't get assigned as mayor or what have you.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: May 05, 2012, 12:58:22 pm »

I decided to get him arrested, so I charged and convicted him for the vampire murders. I guess I expected that the guard would come and arrest him or something, but nothing happened.

Whoah, what? 

I'm coming in from 31.25.  Is manually being able to charge and convict dwarves of crimes a new feature?  I didn't see anything about it on the wiki... I'd assumed the best course was the old "Don't even bother assigning a sherriff or hammerer" as they're more trouble than they're worth.  Though I haven't seen much mention in the changelogs for justice, has the system been improved?  Is it worth actually having a justice system now?  And is it possible to manually arrest dwarves?

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: May 05, 2012, 01:10:22 pm »

When a murder is committed it is reported by whomever witnesses it/discovers the body. If it is a witness they will accuse a dwarf. You then convict that dwarf, if you choose to, by selecting it on the justice screen. Vampires will falsely accuse/counter accuse.
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: May 05, 2012, 01:26:34 pm »

When a murder is committed it is reported by whomever witnesses it/discovers the body. If it is a witness they will accuse a dwarf. You then convict that dwarf, if you choose to, by selecting it on the justice screen. Vampires will falsely accuse/counter accuse.

Ah, interesting!  So I can only veto accusations, not make fake charges and arrest whatever noble I want?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1581 on: May 05, 2012, 01:37:44 pm »

Actually, I believe you can charge any creature with the crime, once an unsolved murder has occurred.  So you can if you want pin the blame on a child or stray duck.  I have heard that this will then cause bad thoughts among your dwarves as to the ludicrous injustice of the conviction.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: May 05, 2012, 01:46:23 pm »

Indeed. The first time, I convicted a dead goblin figuring he must have been killed during an ambush or siege. This generated the thought among dwarves ". .was outraged by the ridiculous conviction of a dead body lately."
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: May 05, 2012, 04:18:15 pm »

Indeed. The first time, I convicted a dead goblin figuring he must have been killed during an ambush or siege. This generated the thought among dwarves ". .was outraged by the ridiculous conviction of a dead body lately."

Hey, you're either with us, or with the dead goblins!  Vote Urist McSwiftConviction today!

Anyway, another question I had about the DF2012 update, though not sure if this is the right place:  [PET_EXOTIC] tags.  In 31.25, if we wanted to train exotic animals to be tame, or to be war/hunting animals, we had to mod those to normal [PET] tags, I believe.  With the animal training overhaul, is this still the case?  Or can I cut out the big chunk of my modding which removes all the [EXOTIC] tags?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: May 05, 2012, 04:35:33 pm »

You can cut the big chunk out of your modding. Your fort can naturally attempt to tame any Pet_Exotic critters they get their grubby lil' paws on, they'll just need to work up their skill with each particular animal type in time.

E: Some other stuff I figured I should add, although I'm not going to try to give a very in-detailed run-down of all the minutae of taming/training...

a) Exotic animals still may not be hunting/war trainable, it depends on the breed. But yes, if they were trainable for that before with a simple removal of the "_exotic" tag, they should still be trainable for hunting/war I think?

b) Taming (making a wild animal into a non-killing-dwarves animal) requires the animal to be in a cage, or... maybe on a chain? I'm not really positive, now that I come to think of it, since I always just leave them in cages after capture, until I get them tamed.

c) For training (taking an animal that doesn't want to eat your dwarves, and training it for hunting or war), you'll need the animal to be assigned to a pasture or chain, or make sure you add a "training zone," which is a new (i) zone. Kennels are now only used for capturing and taming vermin-type critters.

d) Pretty much all taming/training is now done via the animals screen, (z) (a).

e) You don't need a dungeon master, just one or more (I suggest more) dwarves with the animal training job enabled.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:41:36 pm by Stormfeather »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: May 05, 2012, 04:47:14 pm »

pretty much that yes

taming can be done anywhere, but untill you got to a decent stability, it's safest from a chain or a cage
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: May 05, 2012, 04:50:04 pm »

b) Taming (making a wild animal into a non-killing-dwarves animal) requires the animal to be in a cage, or... maybe on a chain? I'm not really positive, now that I come to think of it, since I always just leave them in cages after capture, until I get them tamed.

In my experience so far, when you capture a wild animal in a cage trap, you can give it 1 level of training while it's still in the cage.  This will make it semi-wild.  If you do nothing else at this stage, it will revert to wild, and then your trainer will come along again and convert it to semi-wild, etc.

If you want to get better than semi-wild, then it seems you need to move them from the cage to a pasture (or possibly a restraint).  Then the trainers will do additional levels of training in the pasture, faster than it reverts.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: May 05, 2012, 04:56:27 pm »

In my experience so far, when you capture a wild animal in a cage trap, you can give it 1 level of training while it's still in the cage.  This will make it semi-wild.  If you do nothing else at this stage, it will revert to wild, and then your trainer will come along again and convert it to semi-wild, etc.

If you want to get better than semi-wild, then it seems you need to move them from the cage to a pasture (or possibly a restraint).  Then the trainers will do additional levels of training in the pasture, faster than it reverts.
pretty much wrong

it will be trained to the best result your knowledge level, trainer skill and RNG will get at. In the beginning, knowledge level limits it pretty much to semi wild. Train it for a few times after it reverts, gain "knows a few facts" and you can train it better and let it out of the cage when it is trained instead of semi-wild. The only thing you got right is that, if you have available trainers you can train (reinforce) faster than it reverts. The downside is when you're busy they might forget. and you suddenly got a giant lion rampaging.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: May 05, 2012, 05:01:47 pm »

Yeah, the tricky part though is when it's a fully wild animal, since you can only specify those to be trained while they're still in the cage (or like I said, MAYBE on a chain, I'm really not sure about that one one way or another.) Since otherwise any time a wild animal entered the map you could just tell your dwarves to go tame it. :p

That makes it tricky if you tame them to semi-wild, release them, and they convert, since they'll then avoid traps and you can no longer assign a trainer to tame them again. Not sure if there's any option at that point, but to kill them.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: May 05, 2012, 06:02:08 pm »

Atom smashers. Were they nerfed? My recent attempts to clear hte map of unwanted debris resulted in a rather humorous explosion of rock and goblin/elf corpses. .
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 422