Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881852 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1560 on: May 04, 2012, 12:10:14 am »

Can animals see thru Fortifications at any location or do they have to be standing against the fortification?   I'm 98% sure animals can see thru fortifications at any location.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: May 04, 2012, 03:40:41 am »

Can animals see thru Fortifications at any location or do they have to be standing against the fortification?   I'm 98% sure animals can see thru fortifications at any location.
Yes, they can.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: May 04, 2012, 05:42:17 am »

Trying to assign a tomb to my currently stark raving mad Queen Consort, but her name doesn't seem to be in the list. . or I just can't find it within the 175 dwarf names I have. . .wish we could filter out strings like in other places. Is there any reason her name shouldn't appear in this list or am I just missing it?

stark raving mad. not available for anything anymore except to upset others by dieing
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: May 04, 2012, 06:57:29 am »

Hi

I got a couple of wounded soldiers that cannot walk. How do I get my dorfs to pick them up and send them to hospital? Right now they just pick up almost everything else, even dead bodies, but they leave their wounded comrades thirsting on the field. What kind of hauling is ambulance duty? I have been in the orders menu and prohibited most, if not all of the regular jobs there, but the little buggers prefer to stay idle in the dining room rather than rescue my brave warriors  >:(.

And another question: There is a vampire on the loose in my fort. I believe I have found him, he never thinks about sleep nor food, he is very old and has been a member of two times as many societies as the average dwarf. Only problem is, he is one of the original seven. Which means he cannot be a vampire, according to the wiki. Is this correct? I don't want to frame him if he isn't guilty, because he is one of my best dwarves (Legendary Gem Master, Legendary Trader, Expert Stone Crafter) :-\.

Please help ???
DF: where imagination beats animation

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: May 04, 2012, 07:04:54 am »

as long as they are not unconcious, dwarfs won't be hauled to the hospital but have to make it there themself. Try to get them to drop their armor, that should speed things up.

A member of your starting seven CAN NOT BE an ex member of anything. He can be former mayor or trader if that changed a bit during the game. Also, for me, none of my starting seven ever become legendary in gemcutting or setting. If you use dwarf therapist, you won't see his name but can match him with his false name through skills.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: May 04, 2012, 07:40:12 am »

One of the starting seven could become a vampire during the fort though if you somehow manage to get vampire blood in the well and he or she then drinks from it.  A contrived and unlikely scenario, but possible.

In any case, try locking him in his room for a while and see if he gets thirsty.  If not, he's a vampire.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: May 04, 2012, 07:58:30 am »

Thanks Garath and Telgin, I was wrong about him being among the original seven, I checked in DT and he was with the second wave of immigrants. Hypothetically he could have been poisoned by another vampire that I believe I had gotten rid of, but now I think that this earlier vampire perhaps wasn't a vampire after all, and that my legendary broker has been the culprit all along. I will lock him up and see, too bad about the legendary appraisal skill. And yes, he is only expert at gem-cutting, my bad.

And the wounded soldiers: One lost consciousness and went to hospital, the other one got rid of his uniform, so now he is very miserable. Still not moving. Perhaps he wil pass out from thirst, and then he can get hauled to hospital. I hope he survives.

:)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: May 04, 2012, 06:26:54 pm »

I apologize for not searching more thoroughly for the answer, but I already spent the past several free hours this week setting up and fixing my computer :P  Has something changed with the military uniform mechanics?  Back in 31.25 I used the trick to put all civilians into squads with basic leather armor and shortswords, which worked great.  I just started a new fort in DF2012, and for some reason my civvies only pick up their bucklers, leaving their trousers, cloaks etc. which are also part of the same uniform on the floor and generating tons of unhappy naked thoughts.  Am I missing something?  Additionally, I had omitted a lot of clothing types like I did in 31.25 as I understood it contributed to lag, but now perhaps my dwarves needs proper shirts and shoes, not just leather armor and low boots?

I just want the same thing my dwarves do; to stop being naked.  I just can't get them to understand how to accomplish this...

Putting this out there in case someone has the same problem months from now;  I think my issue was that all the trousers and cloaks were 'owned' by my the dwarves (still on my starting seven, haven't produced anything new yet), and so were not eligible to be used as 'military equipment.'  Does that make sense?  I used DFHack's "cleanowned all" and gave a move command to my civvy squad, and a lot of them put on more than a buckler.  It wasn't quite good enough, since apparently some of them claimed some items on the floor before they could equip them, but I think I narrowed down my issue:  make surplus clothes.

Is that right, that 'owned' items can't be used by your military?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: May 04, 2012, 06:34:16 pm »

Correct.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: May 04, 2012, 07:00:10 pm »

Correct.

Thanks.  A few months away from DF and I start to forget all sorts of things :P  We still hate Elves, right?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: May 04, 2012, 07:43:56 pm »

Correct.
Thanks.  A few months away from DF and I start to forget all sorts of things :P  We still hate Elves, right?
Yep, 'cept when they bring giant animals for your trainers to train into war animals.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #1571 on: May 05, 2012, 12:11:10 am »

Anybody know where I can find a feature list at? I just got through with a 28 year old fortress (2 Fps FTW!) from version..31.25 and can't remember all the new stuff thats been added.

I know there was a list somewhere.

I almost conquered hfs. But almost doesn't get you a cigar T.T
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: May 05, 2012, 12:24:25 am »

Anybody know where I can find a feature list at? I just got through with a 28 year old fortress (2 Fps FTW!) from version..31.25 and can't remember all the new stuff thats been added.

I know there was a list somewhere.

I almost conquered hfs. But almost doesn't get you a cigar T.T
You can check the Announcements Page to see the changes of every individual version, or the Current Development/Download Page for a more detailed log.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: May 05, 2012, 02:48:39 am »

Anybody know where I can find a feature list at?
There's an update change list in your DF folder called "release notes.txt".

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: May 05, 2012, 10:02:02 am »

Hi guys

My immobilized but not unconscious soldier died of thirst. He managed to crawl four-five tiles closer to the entrance before he died of dehydration. I even told him to get rid of his steel uniform, but he didn't get it. (I made a new squad, and assigned just him, and then equipped it with "no uniform" - is there a better way?). It took perhaps 20 minutes for him to die; during that time a lot of different dwarves just passed by, ignoring him. But when he died, they took immediate interest and buried him right away, very efficient little a**holes. But of course, as long as he was alive there were no free socks to get.

Anyway, I managed to lock up my mayor/expert gem cutter/legendary broker in his throne room. He has been sitting there for two years now, not complaining at all. On the contrary, I gave him a steel weapon rack (he loves steel and weapon racks) so he is actually more happy than ever. And the killings have stopped!!! He is definitely my vampire, even goes by another name in DT. So what am I to do now? I am inclined to do nothing, as long as he is happy with his imprisonment.

On another note: When I realized that no one was going to help my immobilized soldier, I decided to get him arrested, so I charged and convicted him for the vampire murders. I guess I expected that the guard would come and arrest him or something, but nothing happened. At all. So I took a closer look at my prison complex and justice departement. It seems it is not working. I have since convicted a few dwarfs, but noone cares, they never get a sentence. Perhaps I have made the jail too comfy? I have put a bed and a small food and drink stockpile next to every chain, so now I believe they are by far the most popular bedrooms in my entire fortress, there is always someone sleeping there. Never the convicted ones, though.

Ok, here is my questions:

How do I get a wounded soldier to drop his uniform?
What shall I do to my vampire, if I decide nothing is not enough?
Is the justice department bugged, or have I done something wrong?
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 422