Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881853 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1545 on: May 03, 2012, 02:44:49 pm »

give them some time to put them on?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: May 03, 2012, 02:51:33 pm »

Aw shucks.  What happens if you give them a uniform with 3 cloaks and 3 shirts etc. and set it to 'wear over clothing'?  Do they only accept 'armor level' items as part of their uniforms now?
No, it still works the same as normal. It's just that uniforms that take advantage of the "4x shirt, etc" stuff have to be equipped in just the right order or they can't fit everything on their bodies. As such setting them to "wear over" often means that dwarves end up with stuff in the wrong order and can't equip the entire uniform.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: May 03, 2012, 02:58:00 pm »

give them some time to put them on?

Dude has the same thought the third year in a row.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: May 03, 2012, 03:13:56 pm »

Isn't it kind of odd how babies do not retain the parent's last name? Or is that just not how names work in DF lore?
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 03, 2012, 03:15:54 pm »

Isn't it kind of odd how babies do not retain the parent's last name? Or is that just not how names work in DF lore?
At the moment it just isn't how they work. Every dwarf is given a fully randomized name upon birth. Personally though I've been using nicknames to designate family names, that way I can tell who is related to who and watch generations go by. Sort of how in some cultures they put your surname first when they call you by name.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: May 03, 2012, 04:49:56 pm »

Another silly one. Say a dwarf likes. . .Cats. Will they also like things made out of cats, too? Like cat leather items, cat teeth, Scepters topped with a cat skull. .
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: May 03, 2012, 04:51:07 pm »

No, if they like cats they like live cats. If they liked dead cats, they would like something like cat bones.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: May 03, 2012, 05:28:00 pm »

Another silly one. Say a dwarf likes. . .Cats. Will they also like things made out of cats, too? Like cat leather items, cat teeth, Scepters topped with a cat skull. .
No, a dwarf who likes cat bone or leather will say they like cat bone or leather. Liking cats means that they like having pet cats.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: May 03, 2012, 05:33:49 pm »

Aw shucks.  What happens if you give them a uniform with 3 cloaks and 3 shirts etc. and set it to 'wear over clothing'?  Do they only accept 'armor level' items as part of their uniforms now?
No, it still works the same as normal. It's just that uniforms that take advantage of the "4x shirt, etc" stuff have to be equipped in just the right order or they can't fit everything on their bodies. As such setting them to "wear over" often means that dwarves end up with stuff in the wrong order and can't equip the entire uniform.

Ahh ok gotcha.  Building off of that, are there any problems using the 'wear over' method due to dwarves wearing too much civilian clothing, so they can no longer fit their armor over it?  I've heard stories of dwarves carrying a dozen cloaks and other such nonsense. 

I'm leaning towards the option of keeping all dwarves, civilian and military alike, on permanent uniforms just like I did in 31.25, just now adding some shoes, trousers, and shirts to the uniforms, to avoid that potential problem. 

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: May 03, 2012, 05:46:48 pm »

They will wear armor over clothes no problem. In my current fort, going on year eleven now, I used the basic "metal armor" uniform (which is set to wear over clothing) for ten years. My military would occasionally complain about wearing worn out clothing, but they would never get too upset about it. I never saw any of my military  below "content" happiness level. Eventually they would get a break, go dump their worn clothes, and pick up new ones.

Just last year, I finally formed my squad of guards and gave them a custom uniform with all leather clothes under their armor for general badassery and maybe leather protects better? I don't know for sure.

I use the following uniform, with "partial matches" and "replace clothing":
Body: leather tunic, leather robe, steel breastplate, leather cloak
Legs: leather trousers, steel greaves
Feet: any socks, Leather shoes, steel high boots
Hands: leather gloves, steel gauntlets
Head: steel cap, steel helm, leather hood

They equip everything just fine, and replace worn clothes fine too.

Just remember, miners and woodcutters have a secret invisible uniform they wear (consisting of a pick or an axe, respectively) and these uniforms do not play well with military uniforms. Otherwise, keeping civilians in a uniformed militia is a good idea.
« Reply #1555 on: May 03, 2012, 06:57:18 pm »

What exactly do mummy curses do? The wiki does not say what they do; only that they exist and it has an effect on combat.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: May 03, 2012, 06:59:01 pm »

Just last year, I finally formed my squad of guards and gave them a custom uniform with all leather clothes under their armor for general badassery and maybe leather protects better? I don't know for sure.
Does anyone know whether leather clothing protects better than regular clothing? I am curious as to this.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: May 03, 2012, 07:00:59 pm »

What exactly do mummy curses do? The wiki does not say what they do; only that they exist and it has an effect on combat.
I THINK that it gives you a percent chance (like 20% or so) to fail any of your rolls. For example, a garanteed 20% chance to, when attacking someone, fail miserably and put yourself into a position for a horrible counter attack, or fail a dodge. I am not certain of this.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: May 03, 2012, 08:37:59 pm »

They will wear armor over clothes no problem. In my current fort, going on year eleven now, I used the basic "metal armor" uniform (which is set to wear over clothing) for ten years. My military would occasionally complain about wearing worn out clothing, but they would never get too upset about it. I never saw any of my military  below "content" happiness level. Eventually they would get a break, go dump their worn clothes, and pick up new ones.

I use the following uniform, with "partial matches" and "replace clothing":
Body: leather tunic, leather robe, steel breastplate, leather cloak
Legs: leather trousers, steel greaves
Feet: any socks, Leather shoes, steel high boots
Hands: leather gloves, steel gauntlets
Head: steel cap, steel helm, leather hood

They equip everything just fine, and replace worn clothes fine too.

Just remember, miners and woodcutters have a secret invisible uniform they wear (consisting of a pick or an axe, respectively) and these uniforms do not play well with military uniforms. Otherwise, keeping civilians in a uniformed militia is a good idea.

Ah, thanks, that helps a lot!  I confirm on both counts that leather is very cool, and offers better protection than cloth (at least back in 31.25.  Leather cloaks and hoods were all the rage.)

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: May 03, 2012, 09:43:16 pm »

Trying to assign a tomb to my currently stark raving mad Queen Consort, but her name doesn't seem to be in the list. . or I just can't find it within the 175 dwarf names I have. . .wish we could filter out strings like in other places. Is there any reason her name shouldn't appear in this list or am I just missing it?
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 422