Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881911 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1515 on: May 01, 2012, 01:23:12 am »

Trading is over with, the caravan is long gone, no trader at the depot, so that option no longer exists.  However, there's a lone diplomat that has been wandering around my fortress since the very first caravan came and I'm now 5 years into the game haha... not sure what the hell is going on there.  I guess he's trying to meet with my mayor or leader but they're always busy doing things.

The stockpile in question is clear of debris and is located on a clay floor.

there are probably more diplomats leaving upset etc, might give tha major some time off

regarding the stockpiles:
1: inaccessible, PEBKAC
2: wrong settings, PEBKAC
3: dwarfs are too busy
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 02, 2012, 12:34:32 am »

I have two masterwork obsidian short swords... so my question:
    A}  Is obsidian one step above wood  OR  somewhere near iron quality ?

I'm trying to decide if I should use them as weapon traps or weapons for soldiers.

*Update>>>  Looks like it's one step above wood... so to the weapon traps.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:45:17 am by NTJedi »

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: May 02, 2012, 12:54:39 am »

I had a squad of legendary swordmasters and gave them masterwork obsidian swords and during the next siege looked at the logs.

Every fight was 4 pages of "mastersworddude hits gobbo in the head.  copper helm deflects it."
I think they would do better if swordmasters didn't get headshots 95% of the time.

I've personally given up on obsidian swords for anything but flavor after that fight.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: May 02, 2012, 01:02:08 am »

I believe that rock swords have been !!science!!d as being more effective than wood, but less effective than any metal

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 02, 2012, 10:40:42 am »

Questions (Well, duh): What age are dwarves capable of getting married, raising a family, etc? I figure they live longer than humans, and are probably fertile/virile longer, but I'm not sure. And I haven't been able to find it on the wiki.

Also, what's the current status, if anyone knows, of how the baronetcy/other nobility works and is handed down? If I recall correctly, it *was* so that if your baron/whatever died, you could never get it replaced, and while the post was intended to be inherited if the noble had any children, that wasn't working? it's a bit hazy. Anyhow, I don't recall any of that being changed/fixed, but am I misremembering? Did I miss something?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out who I want to recommend for my baron, whenever that comes around, since it should be soon. I usually like to recommend my initial expedition leader, but since he's unmarried and doesn't even have a lover yet and is 77 years old...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: May 02, 2012, 11:16:13 am »

dwarves can marry and produce children as soon as they become adults, so at 12 years old, in theory, and won't stop untill death, which is somewhere past 150 (before 175). Titles should be ineritable, but are not. If the baron dies, too bad for you.

material mandates have been removed, so considerations for baron depends solely on items. If you can find one that likes menacing spikes or serrated discs, I want to borrow him/her.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1521 on: May 02, 2012, 11:17:05 am »

Questions (Well, duh): What age are dwarves capable of getting married, raising a family, etc? I figure they live longer than humans, and are probably fertile/virile longer, but I'm not sure. And I haven't been able to find it on the wiki.

Dwarves become adults at age 12, at which point they can marry and have children.

Also, what's the current status, if anyone knows, of how the baronetcy/other nobility works and is handed down? If I recall correctly, it *was* so that if your baron/whatever died, you could never get it replaced, and while the post was intended to be inherited if the noble had any children, that wasn't working? it's a bit hazy. Anyhow, I don't recall any of that being changed/fixed, but am I misremembering? Did I miss something?

As far as I know, the position isn't actually functionally inherited at the moment, but I haven't actually tried killing a King or Baron with adult children in any of my fortresses recently.  Of course, positions other than those are manually appointed (or elected).

Dwarves live about 150 years, so your 77 year old expedition leader isn't in danger of dying of old age anytime soon.  However, he might never take a lover.  Some dwarves just never meet that special someone.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: May 02, 2012, 11:53:50 am »

material mandates have been removed, so considerations for baron depends solely on items. If you can find one that likes menacing spikes or serrated discs, I want to borrow him/her.

Natural selection seems to have reduced the number of menacing-spike- and serrated-disc-loving dwarves in the wild. ;)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: May 02, 2012, 12:06:54 pm »

Thanks guys. I guess it doesn't matter much if he does/doesn't take a lover, if titles aren't functionally inheritable at the moment, which I feared was the case. Hrm, I really need that one known vampire I have again to meet an "accident" involving hostiles and his naked "squad" consisting of... himself.

Edit: Oh yes, and my expedition leader doesn't like menacing spikes or anything (well, any more than every random dwarf), but his likes *are* short swords, mail shirts, coffins, and... well... animal traps. So, still fairly useful.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:08:44 pm by Stormfeather »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: May 02, 2012, 04:01:03 pm »

make the animal traps out of metal and melt them down again. slight loss of materials though (oh noes, I lost some lead!)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: May 02, 2012, 09:37:41 pm »

I apologize for not searching more thoroughly for the answer, but I already spent the past several free hours this week setting up and fixing my computer :P  Has something changed with the military uniform mechanics?  Back in 31.25 I used the trick to put all civilians into squads with basic leather armor and shortswords, which worked great.  I just started a new fort in DF2012, and for some reason my civvies only pick up their bucklers, leaving their trousers, cloaks etc. which are also part of the same uniform on the floor and generating tons of unhappy naked thoughts.  Am I missing something?  Additionally, I had omitted a lot of clothing types like I did in 31.25 as I understood it contributed to lag, but now perhaps my dwarves needs proper shirts and shoes, not just leather armor and low boots?

I just want the same thing my dwarves do; to stop being naked.  I just can't get them to understand how to accomplish this...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: May 02, 2012, 10:01:50 pm »

Have you set the uniforms to replace clothing, rather than going over?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: May 03, 2012, 12:00:15 am »

dwarfs equip clothing on their own now, though they are a bit picky about it. Putting all your civilians in military now will mostly just cause a lot of bad thoughts from being unhappy about the draft. For the record, dwarfs now need feet covering, lower and upper body covering.
armor does not count as clothing for this purpose, it seems

Pare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: May 03, 2012, 01:55:47 am »

This is a basic question, but anyway:

How to get the dwarves to dump certain stones? I dug a corridor for powering my pumps, and on the last square, where the hole should go for the power contraption, there is a stone lying there. I designated it to be dumped, and there's a garbage pile near it, but nobody seems to pick it up and dump it.

I have idle dwarves with hauling labors on. They have dumped a lot of stuff designated to be dumped after that, so they are not doing anything else, either.

One solution I thought of was making a burrow with the offending stone and a garbage pile, restricting one dwarf to it and waiting. Should that work?

Another question, I channeled the square already (because of said requirement to have power transferred through it, but the stone stayed there already.

It's like this:

Side view: 
                  XXXXXX   X = untouched stone
                  ____oX    _ = dug out space and floor
                  XXXX%X  o = boulder (with no floor)
                                 % = pump

Can the rock still be picked up even when there's a hole and a pump underneath? Deconstructing the pump would probably help if nobody is willing to stand on the pump.

The dwarves didn't pick up the boulder even before I channeled the square, so that wasn't the original problem.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: May 03, 2012, 02:13:56 am »

My best guess is that you somehow made it unreachable. If the pump is constructed, set someone idle on pump duty and activate it. If that never starts you made it unreachable. Just a guess though
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 422