Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881979 times)

redsector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1440 on: April 26, 2012, 04:31:00 pm »

Thanks Garath! I will try that.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: April 26, 2012, 05:25:07 pm »

A giant louse wandered into one of my cage traps. I managed to tame it to semi-wild status, so far no problem. But, now what? I released it from its cage and it's currently sitting in a combined pasture/animal training zone and a trainer is assigned to it, but.. nothing happens. He's listed as having "No job" on the status screen.

After a while, there will be more rounds of training.  It's not a continuous process.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: April 26, 2012, 05:52:35 pm »

I'm getting confused and frustrated with the different list of names in game. What is the order they are in? I noticed that the units list is obviously ordered by profession, and many other lists are ordered by migration wave/time entered the map. Which lists are in which orders? Any tips for navigating them quickly? (I know I can often press /* or 39 to scroll faster - but then I need to make sure I don't skip over the dwarf I want). I wish there were a find command in these lists.

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: April 26, 2012, 08:33:10 pm »

I'm getting confused and frustrated with the different list of names in game. What is the order they are in? I noticed that the units list is obviously ordered by profession, and many other lists are ordered by migration wave/time entered the map. Which lists are in which orders? Any tips for navigating them quickly? (I know I can often press /* or 39 to scroll faster - but then I need to make sure I don't skip over the dwarf I want). I wish there were a find command in these lists.

use Dwarf Therapist. It makes sorting through and managing a fort of 200 dwarves so much easier.

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: April 26, 2012, 08:36:48 pm »

How do I get webbed cage traps?

Never done it but check out: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Giant_cave_spider for the silk farm.  You could do the same to web cages.

sorry I missed your answer, just to follow-up though, should i be putting the bait guy inside a constructed cage to web it? or just put it somewhere in the vicinity so it can get webbed if he's missed? or would placing a stockpile for cages near the bait cause them to get webbed by stray webshots?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1445 on: April 26, 2012, 09:14:32 pm »

You web cage traps, not cages.  You need to build the cage traps, then arrange for a giant cave spider or other webbing creature to spray webbing at a creature nearby, miss the creature, and spray webbing over the traps.  They won't spray web at a caged creature.  This is actually all somewhat tricky to set up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: April 26, 2012, 09:56:20 pm »

Use the same principle as  Quiettrusts' GCS silk farm on a smaller scale. When done, restrain spider in another location, take target to another location, add bait, close DB
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: April 27, 2012, 02:27:21 am »

You web cage traps, not cages.  You need to build the cage traps, then arrange for a giant cave spider or other webbing creature to spray webbing at a creature nearby, miss the creature, and spray webbing over the traps.  They won't spray web at a caged creature.  This is actually all somewhat tricky to set up.

ahhhh, I gotcha now. Let's see if I can somehow pull this off, thanks for the help.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: April 27, 2012, 08:44:18 am »

Hi. One of my craftdwarves has made an artifact, a bracelet. My question is: Is there a way I can somehow manipulate this bracelet so that it comes into some specified unhappy dwarfs' possession? Or a way to put it on show in the dining hall,  like I do with furniture?

I have searched this thread and the whole site without results (or rather with way too many irrelevant hits on the word "artifact"), and I don't want to have to read all the 97 pages of this thread right now. I read some 20-30 pages the other day and got answers to a lot of questions I didn't know I had, but right now I want to play, so if someone has a quick answer or can point me somewhere on the wiki or the forum I would be most thankful.
DF: where imagination beats animation

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: April 27, 2012, 09:01:28 am »

Hi. One of my craftdwarves has made an artifact, a bracelet. My question is: Is there a way I can somehow manipulate this bracelet so that it comes into some specified unhappy dwarfs' possession? Or a way to put it on show in the dining hall,  like I do with furniture?

I do not know of anything useful that can be done with artifact trade goods.  You can't even trade them.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: April 27, 2012, 09:27:40 am »

I have searched this thread and the whole site without results (or rather with way too many irrelevant hits on the word "artifact"), and I don't want to have to read all the 97 pages of this thread right now. I read some 20-30 pages the other day and got answers to a lot of questions I didn't know I had, but right now I want to play, so if someone has a quick answer or can point me somewhere on the wiki or the forum I would be most thankful.

I don't believe they will pick up bracelets.  Maybe someone will chime in with a neat trick to do so, but I don't think its possible atm.

There are mods that add display cases, but short of that, what I like to do is create a 1x1 stockpile (for a bracelet, I believe Finished Goods) somewhere for display, say near the entrance of the dining room, and change its setting to only accept artifacts.  Or you could place it in a dwarf's bedroom, or as bait for thieves.  I think that's about the limit of what you can do with it.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: April 27, 2012, 10:52:11 am »

There are mods that add display cases, but short of that, what I like to do is create a 1x1 stockpile (for a bracelet, I believe Finished Goods) somewhere for display, say near the entrance of the dining room, and change its setting to only accept artifacts.  Or you could place it in a dwarf's bedroom, or as bait for thieves.  I think that's about the limit of what you can do with it.

I'll try that out.

I do not know of anything useful that can be done with artifact trade goods.  You can't even trade them.

It says it is worth 12000. Not that much, but I had hoped that if I couldn't find any other way to use it, I could always sell it. Too bad, then.

Thanks guys.
DF: where imagination beats animation

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: April 27, 2012, 11:40:22 am »

Can you link multiple spike traps to a single lever?

redsector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: April 27, 2012, 12:04:26 pm »

Ok, another one - how do I stop two tantruming children? Sorry if this is a totally noobish question, other people seem to deal with tantrum spirals on a regular basis, but I've never had to cope with this in 3+ years of playing the game.

Dwarf Therapist lists their happiness at 0, a quick glance at their thoughts implies that they were pissed about having to run around naked. Yeah, so I uh.. kinda forgot about that, I'm still getting used to DF2012. My newly appointed clothier is now churning out shirts, trousers and shoes nonstop, but they won't pick up anything. Probably no time with all that furniture toppling, workshop destroying and punching adults in the face that's on their schedule right now.

I've already built a jail and appointed a guard captain, to no avail. The fortress is otherwise running great, so please.. help me do something about the rebellious kids 8(

Oh, and I'd prefer a solution that does not involve magma, goblins, my pair of giant anacondas, or anything else potentially fun, since they're part of a frighteningly large family.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:06:25 pm by redsector »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1454 on: April 27, 2012, 12:45:10 pm »

Can you link multiple spike traps to a single lever?

Absolutely.  A single trigger device (lever or pressure plate) can be linked to an unlimited number of targets.  You just need two mechanisms for each link.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 422