Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881997 times)

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1380 on: April 18, 2012, 10:29:41 pm »

How do I get webbed cage traps?

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: April 18, 2012, 11:04:19 pm »

Fun with strange moods again...

So the dwarf requests:

square blocks
shining bars of metal
stacked leather
forest
stacked cloth

I have:

a wide variety of leather
5 different types of cloth, tons of each
plenty of logs
silver, copper, pig iron, billon, sterling silver bars
limestone and phyllite blocks

None of this stuff is forbidden or anything.  He's not confined to a burrow.  The only things I can think of that he might want are bars of gold?  What's the deal with this guy?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: April 18, 2012, 11:10:44 pm »

[34.06]Question: For some odd reason, the cut gems are not getting hauled out of the jewel workshop.  Going to deconstruct the workshop, and see if they haul the cut jewels to the cut jewel stockpile.  Think I'm gonna do this before I issue engraving orders.  The workstations have clutter, CLT, flags on them.  Is this how you empty your jewellry workshops?  Deconstruct.  I'm not talking about large gems.  Only cut gems.  Well and cut rock, clay and what have you.  Its a shame our dorfs don't get xps for all the cutting they do, do.  Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: April 19, 2012, 01:36:45 am »

Hi and hello :)

I'm new into DF (since 1 or 2 weeks)... keeps fascinating me over and over again :D
But now I got some questions in my bag for wich I couldn't find the right answers yet -.- but still keeping eyes on the wiki / forum all the time :)

-First of all, what can I do to get rid of all these clothes lying around in my fortress ? I know, they're a bit
buggy right now but I can't get rid of them. My Stock-Status for armor, hand- leg- and headwear are confusingly overloaded with loads of XclotheX, marked for dumping but still lying around. I know I could hide them but are they listed in the stocks if I do so ?

-Are fired bolts used do "rot away" outside ? Got tons of 'em in the outskirts waiting to be claimed or dumped but I won't let my dwarves claim them from the last known tile on my map. In case of a siege that would end up in a huge mess and im afraid of this... just barely evaded the last necromancer's blow -.- phew

discarded clothes are still owned. Current version makes the "owned" tag go away after a while, after which they will be brought to your clothes/finished goods/whatever stockpile. Dwarves will put on the xsockx if they have an XsockX, but noone will ever bring them to the refuse by themself. Clothes dropped in someones room never seem to lose the owned tag. The dfhack workaround still seems needed (cleanowned scattered x=remove owned tag from things on the ground that are also damaged to level x)

Bolts.. Fired bolts that are not destroyed on impact will remain forever.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: April 19, 2012, 01:40:05 am »

What's the deal with this guy?

Thread?  What's his highest tradeskill?  Please don't say Wax Working.  :o
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: April 19, 2012, 01:48:08 am »

So the dwarf requests:

square blocks
shining bars of metal
stacked leather
forest
stacked cloth

I have:

plenty of logs

None of this stuff is forbidden or anything.  He's not confined to a burrow.  The only things I can think of that he might want are bars of gold?  What's the deal with this guy?

yeah, he may want specific metal bars. I once had someone go insane because I had a lot of different bars, but he demanded zinc. What did he pick up so far?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: April 19, 2012, 06:00:08 am »

So the dwarf requests:

square blocks
shining bars of metal
stacked leather
forest
stacked cloth

I have:

plenty of logs

yeah, he may want specific metal bars. I once had someone go insane because I had a lot of different bars, but he demanded zinc. What did he pick up so far?
He picked up 2 logs so far.  Also, it doesn't specify what type of bars he wants, so I have no idea.  He's just sitting in the craftdwarf's workshop ready to snap :(

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: April 19, 2012, 06:07:03 am »

What's the deal with this guy?

Thread?  What's his highest tradeskill?  Please don't say Wax Working.  :o
I have plenty of thread.  Not sure why his highest trade skill should matter, but it's fish dissection followed by the other fishing skills.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: April 19, 2012, 07:31:44 am »

So the dwarf requests:

square blocks
shining bars of metal
stacked leather
forest
stacked cloth

He picked up 2 logs so far.

Then he either wants a third log, or he wants "stacked cloth".  Which, according to the wiki, can be any of plant fiber cloth, silk cloth, or animal-hair (yarn) cloth.  Make sure you have all 3 of those available.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1389 on: April 19, 2012, 07:47:07 am »

I have plenty of thread.  Not sure why his highest trade skill should matter, but it's fish dissection followed by the other fishing skills.

Do you have cloth?

Also, is all your cloth and thread stored in a Hospital?  Hospital supplies won't be used for moods, so you might have to temporarily remove your Hospital zone to make that material usable.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

badwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: April 20, 2012, 03:04:25 am »

What do militia captains actually do? Up until now, whenever I needed a new squad I'd appoint a new militia captain, but recently I learned I can just appoint new squads from the militia commander instead of appointing new captains. Is there a real difference with one method or the other?

Also is it true I should keep Macedwarves, axedwarves, etc. in separate squads? Is it that much of a major concern?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: April 20, 2012, 03:21:26 am »

if they do demonstrations, it can get to be a problem, as each dwarf will start to teach the others his specific weapon. As long as they keep to sparring and dodging demonstrations you're fine. I currently have a squad with 2 sword, a hammer, an axe and 3 pickaxe wielders and they spar just fine with the occasional shield lesson.

I don't think one way of creating a new squad differs from the other. Captains perhaps give bonuses based on some social skills, leader, organizer and such sound like it could get the squad on their feet faster, get squadies to pick up equipment faster, such things, but I really have no idea.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 20, 2012, 03:39:56 am »

Maybe i'm being stupid but i could of sworn this wasn't the case in previous versions:

Every immigrant i get comes with exactly the same attributes:

ie
900 Agility
1250 Analytical
1250 Creativity

and it goes on, every attribute, all the same, for 200+ immigrants and counting.
My initial embark dwarves weren't like this, just anything that has come along since. Babies born at the fort seem to have what i'd call a normal attribute spread.

I could have sworn it wasn't like this in 31.25, but maybe it was?

Edit: forgot to add, this was a 34.06 world, but playing in 34.07 atm.

Any thoughts on this? or should i query this in the Bug Report section?

TIA.

Edit: i'll add i have already checked Mantis and searched pretty thoroughly in general but not found anything.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:43:34 am by Intrinsic »
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: April 20, 2012, 07:35:24 am »

What do militia captains actually do?

They get a special title ("militia captain"), and they appear on the Nobles screen.  Really, that's it.

A squad's captain must be alive in order for the squad to function.  If the captain dies, none of them will train, or pick up equipment, or do anything else that's useful.  Apart from that, the captain is just another squad member.

Up until now, whenever I needed a new squad I'd appoint a new militia captain, but recently I learned I can just appoint new squads from the militia commander instead of appointing new captains. Is there a real difference with one method or the other?

There is absolutely no difference.

Also is it true I should keep Macedwarves, axedwarves, etc. in separate squads? Is it that much of a major concern?

Having all the dwarves in a squad use the same weapon speeds up training.

Having both of the dwarves in a squad use the same weapon (i.e., having squads of 2 dwarves) speeds up training as far as it'll go.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

badwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: April 21, 2012, 03:58:07 am »

Thanks for the informative replies!
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 422