Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882027 times)

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1365 on: April 18, 2012, 09:08:39 am »

2. Migrants come, as a result of the number of blocks you use in stuff, and amount of walls you smooth.  There is a direct correllation to the number of migrants you get, and smoothing/engraving.  But don't ask me what it is.  More come the prettier your fortress is.  Limit smoothing, and block use in paved roads and you will have the problem solved without a mod.

Can you source this?  I'm 99% sure this is not true.  My last fort had an immigrant wave of ~30 around the 2nd year, and there was hardly a single block used outside of the few workshops that needed them, nor a wall smoothed in the entire joint. 

Although there is very little 'science' done on this AFAIK, the commonly held view is that migrant wave size is based on fortress wealth (as in, everything, not just architectural value that comes from smoothing/engraving/blocks), and caravans making it back to the Mountainhomes to report it.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: April 18, 2012, 09:28:50 am »

^this

my forts usually start out slow and hardly generate wealth in the first two years. As a result, while my 3rd migrant wave is still large, the 4th and the 5th are only around 10 or 12 in size, while others report 20 to 30. Due to my pop cap settings I don't get more waves. Another clue is the fact that if you had a mass dieing suddenly huge migration waves show up, as your wealth far surpasses the population.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: April 18, 2012, 10:14:05 am »

Another clue is the fact that if you had a mass dieing suddenly huge migration waves show up, as your wealth far surpasses the population.

Is this a change in v34?   After a major death event I usually got small waves showing up, with that one immigration message that goes something like "Immigrants have arrived, despite the danger".  There's a few others IIRC.  In a lot of my older forts (~v31, 40d), I liked to drop entire immigrant waves to their deaths just to keep the dwarf count low for awhile (and discorage immigration), and that's when I'd often see that message.  (My favorite was dropping them all to splatter in a dining room where a party was being held, then having the party-goers start mass-engraving the walls.)  Are the 'dangerous fort' messages gone now?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:16:56 am by Werdna »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: April 18, 2012, 12:45:44 pm »

No. Every time a dwarf dies it provides a significant penalty to incoming immigrant waves (with a larger penalty if the dwarf was a noble!), thus resulting in smaller waves after a mass death event. However if you have you pop cap set to something only slightly below your population (80 and you have 82) and you lose a small handful of dwarves (taking you to 79), then a huge wave will show up, potentially pushing you up to something like 120ish.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: April 18, 2012, 01:06:37 pm »

2. Migrants come, as a result of the number of blocks you use in stuff, and amount of walls you smooth.  There is a direct correllation to the number of migrants you get, and smoothing/engraving.  But don't ask me what it is.  More come the prettier your fortress is.  Limit smoothing, and block use in paved roads and you will have the problem solved without a mod.
Can you source this?  I'm 99% sure this is not true. 
Somewhere on the last version's wiki.  No longer have that link, coulda changed in this version, but I have my doubts.  I am sorry.  Hmm.  Maybe someone else can confirm what I said.  I sometimes do come off the wall with wild speculations.  However with this, I'm fairly certain I'm right.  The first two migrations are fixed, in relation to your starting 7 dwarfs, after that...  Migration size is based on how attractive your fortress is(smoothing + blocks). 

Its why people don't recommend building craftstations out of block, this'll limit their pop to a manageable size.  Wish I could remember where I read this, darn.  I feel kinda ashamed not to have a ref for ya, Werda.  I always build with block, I love overwhelming numbers.  Well until the lag spikes me to a crawling pace.  Take care, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: April 18, 2012, 01:22:08 pm »

I will tell you that the number of migrants is not, and never has been (at least since 40d) based on how many tiles you had smoothed/engraved or paved over with blocks. The amount of migrants that you receive is based on the wealth of your fortress, mostly on the exported and created wealth categories. The amount of wealth you have in architecture (smoothing/engraving, blocks instead of boulders) does make a  small difference, however it is greatly outshined by the amount of wealth created and exported. After the wealth is calculated, a modifier is then thrown on that by the number of recent dwarven deaths. More deaths will throw a higher negative modifier on it, with noble deaths counting for several times the amount of a normal dwarven death. This negative modifier can actually stop all migration completely for a short time if you have lost massive amounts of dwarves recently.

So yes, if you want to avoid migrants you shouldn't make massive amounts of blocks; but this comes mainly from the large amounts of wealth created when you carve the blocks in the first place, not on the fact that your fortress looks pretty. Of course if you really want to stop migrants then just use the pop_cap option in the init.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: April 18, 2012, 01:45:17 pm »

Of course if you really want to stop migrants...

Store artifacts outside.  Or in downward passageways.  :)
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: April 18, 2012, 02:05:33 pm »

you're right, mass extinctions prohibit new migrants, but yes, just enough to go below pop cap could trigger huge waves. I have a 16M fort with only a 120 or so inhabitants, I could do some science.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: April 18, 2012, 02:49:23 pm »

No. Every time a dwarf dies it provides a significant penalty to incoming immigrant waves (with a larger penalty if the dwarf was a noble!), thus resulting in smaller waves after a mass death event. However if you have you pop cap set to something only slightly below your population (80 and you have 82) and you lose a small handful of dwarves (taking you to 79), then a huge wave will show up, potentially pushing you up to something like 120ish.

Ah, that makes sense now. 

Lorathor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: April 18, 2012, 05:53:52 pm »

Hi and hello :)

I'm new into DF (since 1 or 2 weeks)... keeps fascinating me over and over again :D
But now I got some questions in my bag for wich I couldn't find the right answers yet -.- but still keeping eyes on the wiki / forum all the time :)

-First of all, what can I do to get rid of all these clothes lying around in my fortress ? I know, they're a bit
buggy right now but I can't get rid of them. My Stock-Status for armor, hand- leg- and headwear are confusingly overloaded with loads of XclotheX, marked for dumping but still lying around. I know I could hide them but are they listed in the stocks if I do so ?

-Are fired bolts used do "rot away" outside ? Got tons of 'em in the outskirts waiting to be claimed or dumped but I won't let my dwarves claim them from the last known tile on my map. In case of a siege that would end up in a huge mess and im afraid of this... just barely evaded the last necromancer's blow -.- phew

-Why aren't some of my prepared foods stored in barrels ? Got enough of them available but anyhow they won't be stored properly. Some are in bins and some not... Keeps confusing me.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1375 on: April 18, 2012, 06:07:05 pm »

-Why aren't some of my prepared foods stored in barrels ? Got enough of them available but anyhow they won't be stored properly. Some are in bins and some not... Keeps confusing me.

I assume you mean barrels, not bins.  Prepared meals can't go in bins.  Barrels can only hold a stack of up to 10 items, so a prepared meal stack with more than 10 items (which is easy to achieve) won't go in a barrel.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: April 18, 2012, 06:09:32 pm »

Clothes go into the finished good pile. Having a huge stockpile next to the trade depot is a good idea.

Bolts will sit there for all eternity.

How many bags do you have? sometimes food goes into bags then into barrels.

My question is how old can a child get?

I have a 22 year old chilling in my fortress
May the mass times acceleration be with you

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: April 18, 2012, 06:40:38 pm »

Have you edited the child age? Editing the age after a world has already been generated can mess things up and cause problems with children growing up.

If you haven't then your child is probably a vampire, werewolf, or necromancer and should be killed/harnessed.

-Are fired bolts used do "rot away" outside ? Got tons of 'em in the outskirts waiting to be claimed or dumped but I won't let my dwarves claim them from the last known tile on my map. In case of a siege that would end up in a huge mess and im afraid of this... just barely evaded the last necromancer's blow -.- phew
The best way I find to avoid sieges is taking advantage of the fact that they generally show up right at the start of a season. So what you need to do is wait until a siege hits and then quickly finish it off. Then use the remainder of the season to clean up everything around the map and you are incredibly unlikely to be hit by a second siege or attack.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 18, 2012, 06:51:25 pm »

Have you edited the child age? Editing the age after a world has already been generated can mess things up and cause problems with children growing up.

If you haven't then your child is probably a vampire, werewolf, or necromancer and should be killed/harnessed.

Nope he showed up as a 22 year old. His parents also came. (This is vanilla with nothing changed)

Though on his 23'rd birthday he became a peasant
May the mass times acceleration be with you

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: April 18, 2012, 07:59:57 pm »

How many bags do you have? sometimes food goes into bags then into barrels.

Only seeds get stored in bags.  However, bags are required to process quarry bushes, or to mill things.

Nope he showed up as a 22 year old. His parents also came. (This is vanilla with nothing changed)

Though on his 23'rd birthday he became a peasant

Sounds like bug #5551.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 422