Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882043 times)

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1350 on: April 17, 2012, 07:19:59 pm »

Question:
I have a cage with two live goblins and a goblin corpse.  I want to just remove the corpse and leave the two live goblins where they are.  How can I do this?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: April 17, 2012, 07:23:09 pm »

Question:
I have a cage with two live goblins and a goblin corpse.  I want to just remove the corpse and leave the two live goblins where they are.  How can I do this?
Try dumping the corpse.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: April 17, 2012, 08:20:09 pm »

I can only dump the whole cage.  I've tried with t, q, and k.

... and literally less than a second of me posting this response, the dwarves just disposed of the corpse on their own.  Nevermind.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:22:06 pm by Hamsmagoo »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: April 17, 2012, 08:49:16 pm »

I can only dump the whole cage.  I've tried with t, q, and k.

... and literally less than a second of me posting this response, the dwarves just disposed of the corpse on their own.  Nevermind.
For future reference, you can dump things in cages by mass-dumping the cage's tile then undumping the cage itself, or using the stocks screen.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: April 17, 2012, 10:45:33 pm »

I'm ashamed I don't know this... But, usually I handle Forgotten Beasts with my military (expendable militia, potentially, depending on the particular beast). I've never tried to use traps on them. I know they are trapavoid, but do they still get caught by spike traps? What about collapsing ceilings? Drowning chambers? Magma? How can you tell whether a FB will be vulnerable to, say, drowning or magma?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: April 17, 2012, 10:57:14 pm »

I'm ashamed I don't know this... But, usually I handle Forgotten Beasts with my military (expendable militia, potentially, depending on the particular beast). I've never tried to use traps on them. I know they are trapavoid, but do they still get caught by spike traps? What about collapsing ceilings? Drowning chambers? Magma? How can you tell whether a FB will be vulnerable to, say, drowning or magma?
Upright spikes and cave-ins will always work. I don't think drowning ever works.
Not sure about the magma, but I wouldn't count on it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: April 17, 2012, 11:26:44 pm »

I don't think drowning works, and magma depends on what the creature is made of. If it's made of olivine for example, or other magma safe materials, you're out of luck.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:27:39 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 18, 2012, 12:38:24 am »

For the purposes of avoiding cave adaptation, will channeling a hole in the roof over my meeting hall(then covering it up to block out eagles/etc) serve as a "sun-lit" area? Or do I have to really leave it open to reap the benefits of them being exposed to the elements?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: April 18, 2012, 12:39:46 am »

@Monstahart,

1. Milk Farming. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2. Migrants come, as a result of the number of blocks you use in stuff, and amount of walls you smooth.  There is a direct correllation to the number of migrants you get, and smoothing/engraving.  But don't ask me what it is.  More come the prettier your fortress is.  Limit smoothing, and block use in paved roads and you will have the problem solved without a mod.

edit: cooler word choice.. milkdry FTW!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:43:24 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 18, 2012, 12:56:45 am »

How can you tell whether a FB will be vulnerable to, say, drowning or magma?

Dunno. 

I do know, I had a FB turtle dodge off my pit ladders.  See I line my mass pit with up/down stairs.  Well this turtle got in this 17 z-level pit, before I could seal it.  Almost reached the top, too.  I had some fellas smoothing and stuff up there.  I wasn't quick enough, the FB got in.  Someone knocked him off the up/down stair, and he fell kerplunk to his death.  Got 66 shells off him, at the bottom of the pit, is his smited ruin.

They are vulnerable to falling death, if they do not have wings.  Trust me.  I cannot be certain how to tell, however, I think the mystery of them is part of the thrill.  Maybe their vulnerabilities were truely forgotten, afterall.  HEH!
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: April 18, 2012, 01:26:17 am »

For the purposes of avoiding cave adaptation, will channeling a hole in the roof over my meeting hall(then covering it up to block out eagles/etc) serve as a "sun-lit" area? Or do I have to really leave it open to reap the benefits of them being exposed to the elements?

channeling and then roofing it over works fine
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 18, 2012, 02:07:25 am »

Mayve you could make a FB dodgeme trap with randomly selected animals chained along a 1 tile wide bridge of constructed floor surrounded by a pit.
Most of the animals would be slaughtered but you might get in a dodge before they're corpsified.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Nibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: April 18, 2012, 04:07:02 am »

I captured some (named, hostile) voracious cave crawlers and rutherers during a seige, and I trained them in their cages. Now, after removing them from their cages and putting them on restraints, every time a trainer runs up to upgrade/maintain their training, I just get "... cancels Train Snodub, Stray Rutherer: No Creature" job cancellation spam. If I unrestrain them, they start attacking my dwarfs, despite still being listed as "+trained+."

Are they untrainable outside of cages? If so, is it still possible to breed them and tame their children?

|EDIT| Actually, it seems that my dwarfs are attacking the creatures, while the creatures passively take a beating.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:10:43 am by Nibble »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 18, 2012, 05:08:33 am »

their children yes. Animals captured in a siege will always be flagged as enemies and dealt with accordingly.

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 18, 2012, 06:59:21 am »

channeling and then roofing it over works fine

thanks
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 422