Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882041 times)

shinkunosuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1320 on: April 16, 2012, 02:02:47 pm »

Okay, thanks.  Do you know if I'll get a caravan next season? Or am I completely on my own now?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: April 16, 2012, 02:12:33 pm »

You'll get a caravan next year, but it might be less rich than before.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: April 16, 2012, 03:00:57 pm »

I'd like to make my king into an Authority equals asskicking kind of king. However you cannot draft nobles. Should I be able to do this with DFhack?
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: April 16, 2012, 03:19:32 pm »

don't think so.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: April 16, 2012, 04:02:56 pm »

Darn. So much for having a royal who actually does something.

How about this? I want to make an outdoor farm, but there's no soil. I can't seem to figure out how to make my dwarves create soil.
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: April 16, 2012, 05:06:01 pm »

You can't create soil.  You can't even move soil from undergroud to above-ground.  If your biome has no naturally occurring above-ground soil, then you simply can't do above-ground farming.  ("Mountain" biomes can't do above-ground farm ever, not even if you do have soil, because they are categorized as "freezing" biomes.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: April 16, 2012, 05:52:15 pm »

I think the most space for names is on the dwarfs' personal page - you get there with (v) on the dwarf, (z) and (Enter), if I recall correctly. If the name is too long for that, try switching TrueType on with F12 (I haven't tried if that helps) or open up Dwarf Therapist and read it there.

Thanks, I didn't know about the truetype thing, i'll try that.  :)
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: April 16, 2012, 07:08:22 pm »

@shinkunosuna - I'm interested in the answer to this too.  Those traders come with migrants.  And some don't leave the edge, or move inward in a timely manner.  This blocks the rest of the migration, and causes all kinds of refreshing headaches within Therapist.  They are marked as Friendly, and just linger out there, near the piles of Vampire goodies.  They appear to be human, the ones lingering around my fortress.  Game just crashed.  That pointless and vague. 'Windows has closed DF.  A crash occured' error.  *golfclap* for dumbed down tech.  I'm into year 6 of my fortress.

Question: The problem I'm facing tonight, in this fortress is with mass pitting.  The usual method of dumping items and reclaming them out of a goblin cage, troll cage, whatever cage, no longer works.  Does it?  All that sweet goblinite, stripped off the prisoner, goes right into the dump, where it poofs, thanks to this new clothing FIX.  I don't want my goblinite poofing.  How do you get around this problem?  Leave gear and goblinite on the caged baddies?  Then pick it up off their corspe, after tossing them in the pit?  Seems the logical and safe way to recoup items.  Just not as safe as before.  Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: April 16, 2012, 07:24:17 pm »

Don't ignore Knutor, but I'm wondering if vampires *really* start a tyranny. I have yet to observe this nor read about anyone observing this and it seems like it doesn't actually happen.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: April 16, 2012, 08:28:34 pm »

Does anyone know how to unmuddy a floor without rebuilding it?

My hospital got flooded and I managed to drain it except now I have shrubs growing all over
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1330 on: April 16, 2012, 08:48:28 pm »

Build a constructed floor over the muddy parts.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: April 16, 2012, 08:53:46 pm »

If I build then remove that floor would it still work?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1332 on: April 16, 2012, 08:57:19 pm »

Yes, that will remove the mud, but if you just leave the constructed floor in place then nothing will grow there even if it gets muddy again.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: April 16, 2012, 11:11:52 pm »

I'm trying to make a reservoir underneath my hospital, but unluckily my designations messed up and I muddied the floor with stagnant water. Is there anyway to unflag those tiles as stagnant so I can still use the room I dug out? I have DFhack.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: April 16, 2012, 11:21:08 pm »

I believe that as long as you use a well, it wouldn't be considered stagnant water
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 422