Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882052 times)

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1305 on: April 16, 2012, 07:23:10 am »

When my dwarves earn titles they display in abbreviated fashion with only a few characters per word displayed, is there any way I can make them display in full?

I like reading the absurd titles my dwarves give themselves.  :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: April 16, 2012, 08:50:02 am »

I think the most space for names is on the dwarfs' personal page - you get there with (v) on the dwarf, (z) and (Enter), if I recall correctly. If the name is too long for that, try switching TrueType on with F12 (I haven't tried if that helps) or open up Dwarf Therapist and read it there.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: April 16, 2012, 09:19:13 am »

I had a naked mole dog run out of a cave and race towards my wagon.  I reacted quickly and killed it, but was he friendly and did I just kill one of the few good animals?
No.

Naked mole dogs are one of those annoying animals that steals your shit. Especially your booze. Wall off that cave, or move all your food/booze to an area where cave creatures can't access it, or you could be in trouble.

Nick

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: April 16, 2012, 09:42:47 am »

They always rushed to their room, former barracks, when I ordered them to kill something. When I locked them, they went to do the killing.

Did the rooms happen to contain cabinets/chests?  They may have been rushing to do an equipment change of some sort.

Very dumb, noob question, but for some reason none of my dwarves want to build a second wood furnace.  The building says it requires 'architecture', but of course there is no job listed as such.  Isn't it carpentry that I need activated?  I can't remember for some reason.

For this reason its often best to set everyone in the fort to Architecture, to minimize build times.  Supposedly a high architect skill improves the value of a building, but if so it is a trivial amount compared to other sources of fortress wealth.

My marksdwarves are stationed on the top of the walls of my fortress and they don't go to gram new ammo when their quivers are empty. Is there anything I can do to help it?
(all ammo is in a stockpile two levels below, in bins, both squads have 600 metal bolts assigned each).

Try also experimenting with a Patrol order, from stockpile to walls.  When dwarves are empty, they will resume patrol, and reload if they are out of sight of enemies.

Also, none of my crossbowmen are carrying quivers despite making ten of them.  Instead, my other dwarves who have no business carrying them, claimed them.  So I'm making ten more......

Sounds like Hunting labor may be active on some of your civs?
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: April 16, 2012, 10:45:24 am »

Searched all over and cannot find so here goes.

Animals with a name and no owner, can they be safely butchered?

Also haven't searched but thought I'd ask while i am here:

One of my militia captains got very badly injured and will be in hospital for years prolly. Should i remove him as the leader but still keep him in the squad? or totally remove him from the squad. Or even just leave it as it is.

TIA
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: April 16, 2012, 10:54:46 am »

Animals with a name and no owner, can they be safely butchered?

If they are tame, they can be assigned for slaughter.  If they are tame and they get killed by any other means, then they cannot be butchered.

If they aren't tame, then you can kill them however you want, and then butcher the corpses, unless they are "sentient".

One of my militia captains got very badly injured and will be in hospital for years prolly. Should i remove him as the leader but still keep him in the squad? or totally remove him from the squad. Or even just leave it as it is.

The squad will function fine without him, as long as he is alive, so you can leave it alone if you want.  If he happens to die, then you'll need to assign a new squad captain (either "promote" someone in the squad by removing them from the squad and re-adding them in the top position, or assign a new dwarf to the position).  A squad with a dead captain won't function.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: April 16, 2012, 10:57:17 am »

pets whose owner died can be butchered too.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: April 16, 2012, 10:57:38 am »

Many thanks, and they are chickens so not sentient, just didn't wanna freak out a dwarf :)
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: April 16, 2012, 11:05:24 am »

Many thanks, and they are chickens so not sentient, just didn't wanna freak out a dwarf :)

pets simply can't be butchered as long as their owner is alive. You really don't have to worry about that.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: April 16, 2012, 11:48:44 am »

How can I isolate a gigantic muscular female dog for breeding?  I've reached my limit and have a bazillion dogs, mostly females.  The men went off to die in battle.  I'm thinking possibly setting it to available, and penning it in a high travel area.  Once its someone's pet, should be easy to isolate.  The pen activity zone has no view option.  And caging or restraining them, doesn't have a view option, either. Also,  does anyone know what features are good for hunting animals?  It doesn't display speed or retrival instincts in the description.  Is there a better color for hunting animals and stealth?  Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: April 16, 2012, 12:11:49 pm »

hunting animals currently have little to no use, except as meatshield for hunters. You'll want to train as war animals. The only benefit of the hunting animal is that it will go into ambush mode, just like the hunter, it won't usually help attacking or finish off an incapacitated prey.

In the u meny under pets/livestock you can go to each dog you have. The order of that list should be the same as in the animal screen in the z menu, except, as I just found out, inversed. So, if the fifth dog from the top is muscular, fat and has a gigantic build, it's the fifth from the bottom in the animal screen. Just write down the numbers (3, 5,6,9,11,12,17,18 etc). You should already have some idea of having enough females and males to keep breeding. Set the numbers for war training, butcher the rest. After all dogs are butchered (you may not want to do them all at once) you can remove the ones reserved for training from their cages and start their training.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: April 16, 2012, 01:43:29 pm »

Inverted.  Ahh. Great, ty Garath.  Will do.

I think I also ran into a hard limit for Animal Training.  A specific trainer can only maintain so many DT's after a DTW or DTH, in the list, and then he no longer works.  Doesn't say so, but he just doesn't juggle that many.  I'm not sure if a DT isneeded after the beast becomes what he was meant to be.. War or Hunting.  But I haven't been removing them.  In case there is some benefit to repeat and continuous training(DT).  I'm working on putting a number on that hard limit for the community.  If you know it, please share.  If DT isn't needed after end result is obtained, please share that too.  Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

shinkunosuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: April 16, 2012, 01:44:42 pm »

Quick question:  I got 3 dwarf traders that are sitting at the very edge of my map (2 in the south, 1 in the north) doing absolutely nothing.  I assume they are part of my yearly trade caravan, but alas they ain't budging a square.  Trade Depot is accessible, trees are chopped, stones smoothed over.  Trade Depot also says that "there are no merchants trading right now".  What do I do to fix them?  And if I can't, will another caravan come the following year?  And are they really members of the caravan I'm expecting or goblins in disguise?

In addition, I don't know if this caused them to dig their feets in the soil or if it happened post trader zonking out, but a flock of keas (annoying birds that steal your stuff) came and stole their stuff.  Now some of their goods are sitting in the middle of the map, but neither them nor my own adorable dwarves are interested in picking it up (dump, claim, leave alone all have no effect).  There is a clear path to and from the goods.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: April 16, 2012, 01:44:58 pm »

after they were trained for war or hunting, you can remove the trainer, Knutor.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: April 16, 2012, 01:47:29 pm »

Quick question:  I got 3 dwarf traders that are sitting at the very edge of my map (2 in the south, 1 in the north) doing absolutely nothing.  I assume they are part of my yearly trade caravan, but alas they ain't budging a square.  Trade Depot is accessible, trees are chopped, stones smoothed over.  Trade Depot also says that "there are no merchants trading right now".  What do I do to fix them?  And if I can't, will another caravan come the following year?  And are they really members of the caravan I'm expecting or goblins in disguise?

In addition, I don't know if this caused them to dig their feets in the soil or if it happened post trader zonking out, but a flock of keas (annoying birds that steal your stuff) came and stole their stuff.  Now some of their goods are sitting in the middle of the map, but neither them nor my own adorable dwarves are interested in picking it up (dump, claim, leave alone all have no effect).  There is a clear path to and from the goods.

known bug. Maybe someone else can provide a link? Trader bug, btw

no clue about the items.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 422