Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882048 times)

J75Ghost

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1290 on: April 15, 2012, 03:17:41 pm »

I found that if I destroy the Trade Depot, everyone leaves. I lost the chance to trade with my Dwarfs from the mountain home.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: April 15, 2012, 03:18:22 pm »

I had a naked mole dog run out of a cave and race towards my wagon.  I reacted quickly and killed it, but was he friendly and did I just kill one of the few good animals?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: April 15, 2012, 03:51:30 pm »

wild/hostile creatures that get a title turn friendly. It might have killed a FB made out of water or something.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: April 15, 2012, 04:34:04 pm »

How deep and how long does it have to be till a troll drowns?

Also can they knock down flood gates when the water is 4/7?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: April 15, 2012, 04:36:32 pm »

6/7 untill drowning starts, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure they can always knock down floodgates, but are much much slower while submerged/swimming.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: April 15, 2012, 05:48:39 pm »

Why won't my hammerer beat my prisoners? I have a chained prisoner in my jail sentenced to 50 hammerstrikes, a hammerer, and a hammer, but for some reason the hammerer won't pick up the hammer and beat him.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: April 15, 2012, 06:54:41 pm »

Why won't my hammerer beat my prisoners? I have a chained prisoner in my jail sentenced to 50 hammerstrikes, a hammerer, and a hammer, but for some reason the hammerer won't pick up the hammer and beat him.

In the current version, I believe you're supposed to include the Hammerer in your Captain of the Guard's squad, and put a hammer in his/her uniform yourself.  (Or at least, that certainly works, even if it's not all strictly required.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: April 15, 2012, 08:58:27 pm »

Having a tough time with my crossbow squad.  First of all, my great crossbowman, is not carrying a crossbow, but in the military>equipment screen, there's a green checkmark beside his 'individual choice, ranged' slot.  I assume the checkmark means he has a crossbow equipped?  I checked his inventory... nope.

Also, none of my crossbowmen are carrying quivers despite making ten of them.  Instead, my other dwarves who have no business carrying them, claimed them.  So I'm making ten more......

All of this is preventing me from training a ranged squad.  Everytime I try to train them, I get the 'no soldier activity' readout.

Jeez... how can I make sense of this mess?

edit:  welp, my "great" crossbowman is now a bloody smear... apparently he was wandering around outside (???) when I activated my 'ambush' alert, so instead of going back behind a wall of traps, he wandered blindly (without a fucking crossbow, of course) into a nearby troop of goblins.

I'm having a hell of a time making bolts out of bone, too.  Plenty of skeletons and skulls around, but I keep getting a message 'no unrotten bones'.

I've never had so much trouble with these mundane tasks before, I feel like I'm falling backwards :(
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:01:14 pm by ClawlessVictory »

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: April 15, 2012, 11:48:59 pm »

The nearby goblin civ apparently lost all its important leaders. Does this mean I am in for eras of . .oh God no. .peace?!?
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 15, 2012, 11:57:13 pm »

Having a tough time with my crossbow squad.  First of all, my great crossbowman, is not carrying a crossbow, but in the military>equipment screen, there's a green checkmark beside his 'individual choice, ranged' slot.  I assume the checkmark means he has a crossbow equipped?  I checked his inventory... nope.

Also, none of my crossbowmen are carrying quivers despite making ten of them.  Instead, my other dwarves who have no business carrying them, claimed them.  So I'm making ten more......

All of this is preventing me from training a ranged squad.  Everytime I try to train them, I get the 'no soldier activity' readout.

Jeez... how can I make sense of this mess?

edit:  welp, my "great" crossbowman is now a bloody smear... apparently he was wandering around outside (???) when I activated my 'ambush' alert, so instead of going back behind a wall of traps, he wandered blindly (without a fucking crossbow, of course) into a nearby troop of goblins.

I'm having a hell of a time making bolts out of bone, too.  Plenty of skeletons and skulls around, but I keep getting a message 'no unrotten bones'.

I've never had so much trouble with these mundane tasks before, I feel like I'm falling backwards :(

Squads that weren't set as archers from the beginning won't pick up ammo unless you manually assign some ammo to them. On the squad screen, go to ammo and set them to something like "CT 500 bolts" - resist the urge to set it to anything more specific because AFAIK the ammo bugs haven't been fixed yet.

You also want to set them to inactive - uniformed, and disable hunting/mining/woodcutting.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: April 16, 2012, 01:12:29 am »

The nearby goblin civ apparently lost all its important leaders. Does this mean I am in for eras of . .oh God no. .peace?!?
No. If a goblin civ loses all of its leaders then it will still siege you. What it does do, though, is stop them form being mounted on or bringing any creatures that those leaders tamed. So you will still get goblins, just no war cave dragons or jabberers to make them a passable threat.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: April 16, 2012, 01:17:48 am »

Huh. Makes me wonder why the bug report was closed then...

Haven't had any luck with Station orders either, I don't use station with archers.  I use 1x1 burrows.  I call them murderholes, they don't have to by attached to one another.  I paint adjacent to each slit in the wall a 1x1 burrow.  A fortified block in a wall is a slit.  Not the whole gosh darn wall.  They have about 30 degrees out of 1 slit. 

I've got 4 1x1 burrows in this current fort.  Under each one I have a 3x2 ammo+drink stockpiles.  0 bins/3 barrel.  So when its full; I'll have 3 stacks of bolts, and a 3 barrels of booze at that Murderhole.  So far my only problem is where to place a bunker and a table.  But I have tons of unassigned tables and chairs sitting in corners all around the place.  So its just a toss, do I want them running down to their bedroom or sleeping near their post?  Hard call.  Different with ea murderhole.

I set my Archer squad up like this.  Archer uni.  No drink.  No food.  Dunno if this lets them carry more ammo, or not.  But it would be logical, less wt, more room to carry other stuff.  Right?  I order them to Defend Burrow, all seasons.  8 out of the 10 soldiers.  So two can goof off.  This has been working, fairly well, for me.  Sometimes they lump up, 3-4 to one murderhole burrow...  But other times they give me a nice spread.

Inbetween sieges, I send them out to plink Ravens.  I don't alter their ammo.  I DO NOT make bone ammo, stacks too small.  All bone goes into making Xbows.  What happens during a siege is, the Craftsdwarf making ammo or a hauler, runs over more ammo to that 3x2 stockpile.  Whether they reload is anyones guess.  But I held off a SIEGE with just them, killing all the goblins and caging the trolls.  Got some 'interupted by WHATEVER' alert msgs of course, but they never stopped shooting, they did swap murderholes, and send their doggies out, everyonce in awhile, to mix it up.  Sincerley, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 16, 2012, 01:23:02 am »

What does this extra knowledge about grizzly bears, mean?  I've tamed 3 war grizzlies, and got a msg in scroll regarding this.  Nothing knew showed up in the tame window.  Does this mean I can make grizzlies mounts now?  Where do I do that?  Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: April 16, 2012, 03:00:42 am »

in the animal screen press a cursor to left or right to go to animal knowledge screen. The more you know about an animal the easier training a wild one will be.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: April 16, 2012, 07:19:10 am »

Update: Looks like if criminals get sentenced to jailtime plus hammering, they do the time first, then get the hammering. Thankfully, my mayor did eventually get hammered to death.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 422