Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882057 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1260 on: April 14, 2012, 10:09:45 pm »

Doesn't appear, that tame vermin, catch vermin, produces train animal xps.  I had a nice catch and release setup going.  What do you guys do with the vermin that DON'T ever tame?  Like Butterflies?  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: April 14, 2012, 10:31:34 pm »

Does it usually take FOREVER until a dwarf training with a certain weapon becomes 'skilled' from competent?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: April 14, 2012, 10:37:17 pm »

Training times depend on a wide variety of factors, including how many other dwarves are in his training group, their relative skill levels, and whether they have teacher or student skills. In my experience, highest skill gain comes from small 2-3 dwarf squads of roughly similar level training all the time, since they spend more time sparring and less time organizing demonstrations.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 14, 2012, 11:19:43 pm »

Does it usually take FOREVER until a dwarf training with a certain weapon becomes 'skilled' from competent?
How long is forever?
I usually expect my dwarves to be completely useless without at least three years of training.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 14, 2012, 11:30:56 pm »

What type of traps do you prefer? the Large, serrated discs look good to me. Anything else I should be using?

Also are stone traps the only ones that require reloading?

Also what do I do with the insanely huge number of junk clothing that is going into my stockpiles?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:06:51 am by Darthlawsuit »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 15, 2012, 12:27:24 am »

What type of traps do you prefer? the Large, serrated discs look good to me. Anything else I should be using?
Disks are pretty much the standard. You may also want to try upright spike traps.

Stone and cage traps need reloading, as well as weapon traps using ranged weapons. Weapon traps can be jammed by corpses.

Also what do I do with the insanely huge number of junk clothing that is going into my stockpiles?
I recommend trading it away to a caravan.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 15, 2012, 12:55:42 am »

Doesn't appear, that tame vermin, catch vermin, produces train animal xps.  I had a nice catch and release setup going.  What do you guys do with the vermin that DON'T ever tame?  Like Butterflies?  Knutor

nothing.

It's the trapping skill in any case.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 15, 2012, 12:58:16 am »

Disks are pretty much the standard. You may also want to try upright spike traps.

Stone and cage traps need reloading, as well as weapon traps using ranged weapons. Weapon traps can be jammed by corpses.

I recommend trading it away to a caravan.
So weapon traps work until a corpse stops them?

Also Should I use 10/10 for my weapon traps?

How do I make an up stairwell? It works fine when I make it in rock but when I try to build it where there is no rock it just doesn't do anything.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:02:58 am by Darthlawsuit »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 15, 2012, 01:03:57 am »

I personally use spiked balls in my traps too if I don't have spare iron or steel, since I've had ogres walking through the traps without getting seriously hurt, but the spiked balls will break bones when discs bounce off.

It's just my feeling, but I think 10/10 weapon traps get jammed with a corpse faster than one with less. Also, 3x 3/10 will let you cover a larger area, which can be useful against high dodgers. It's been recorded that a highly skilled dodger litterally jumps 10 or more squares to the other side of the hall.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 15, 2012, 01:46:13 am »

I personally use spiked balls in my traps too if I don't have spare iron or steel, since I've had ogres walking through the traps without getting seriously hurt, but the spiked balls will break bones when discs bounce off.

It's just my feeling, but I think 10/10 weapon traps get jammed with a corpse faster than one with less. Also, 3x 3/10 will let you cover a larger area, which can be useful against high dodgers. It's been recorded that a highly skilled dodger litterally jumps 10 or more squares to the other side of the hall.
Que'ing the spiked balls then :D

Well its a good thing I use corners non-stop to prevent jumping.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 15, 2012, 04:05:50 am »

a) What is the right sequence of furniture for a good hospital. A bed, a table adjacent to bed for surgery, then a traction bench adjacent to the table? Right? No chair at all or people will eat on your surgery table.

b) how to make plaster when you don't find gypsum and the caravans don't bring any?

c) smth unrelated, Dwarves pick equipment by targeting the most priced one first, if no further restrictions exist? That would be the most logical and easiest way for them to determine quality and interest?

d) except that artifacts weapons are never picked, except if specified by name in the (e)quip screen, right?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:10:35 am by vorpal+5 »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 15, 2012, 04:06:11 am »

the discs are more likely to cause bleeding and such but I stick like 2 discs with one spiked ball as an extra, just in case, you know.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 15, 2012, 07:08:20 am »

How do I make an up stairwell? It works fine when I make it in rock but when I try to build it where there is no rock it just doesn't do anything.

Thanks!

If you are digging, using the 'd' menu - as you say, that works fine. If you've already dug away the tile you want as an up stair, construct one rather than digging one, using 'b'-'C'-'u'.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1273 on: April 15, 2012, 07:13:10 am »

Ok, this has been bothering me for quite some time:
My marksdwarves are stationed on the top of the walls of my fortress and they don't go to gram new ammo when their quivers are empty. Is there anything I can do to help it?
(all ammo is in a stockpile two levels below, in bins, both squads have 600 metal bolts assigned each).
<3

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: April 15, 2012, 07:16:40 am »

Ok, this has been bothering me for quite some time:
My marksdwarves are stationed on the top of the walls of my fortress and they don't go to gram new ammo when their quivers are empty. Is there anything I can do to help it?
(all ammo is in a stockpile two levels below, in bins, both squads have 600 metal bolts assigned each).

They are stationed and firing at something, then? What happens if you unstation/restation? Do you have fired bolts set in orders to be forbidden? If so, what happens if you unforbid them? What happens if you make some new bolts? What happens if you delete all the assigned bolts and reassign them?

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 422