Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882055 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1245 on: April 13, 2012, 06:36:09 pm »

Quivers are definitely required in this version.  No more holding ammo in your hand.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: April 13, 2012, 09:28:26 pm »

Do I have to manually assign each dwarf to a room, or is it fine to just build them and they can come use whichever one is available? Or do they actually claim any unassigned rooms when they use them?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: April 13, 2012, 09:33:41 pm »

Do I have to manually assign each dwarf to a room, or is it fine to just build them and they can come use whichever one is available? Or do they actually claim any unassigned rooms when they use them?
This works for bedrooms, but I don't think it works for other rooms.

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: April 13, 2012, 09:43:01 pm »

Oh right, sorry forgot to mention I meant it was specifically for bedrooms. So I can just leave them unassigned, right? I have like 100+ dwarves and I don't want to have to manually assign each non-noble a room, like jeez guys, just go to sleep.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: April 13, 2012, 10:27:02 pm »

Can anything be done with feathers  or  should I just trash them?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1250 on: April 13, 2012, 11:00:57 pm »

In the vanilla game, feathers are useless.  I mod the material files in my game to make feathers usable as shells for decoration or strange moods.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: April 14, 2012, 12:29:43 am »

Oh right, sorry forgot to mention I meant it was specifically for bedrooms. So I can just leave them unassigned, right? I have like 100+ dwarves and I don't want to have to manually assign each non-noble a room, like jeez guys, just go to sleep.

if you have them set as bedrooms but not assigned, the first dwarf without a bedroom that feels sleepy will claim it. Assigning rooms is mostly for nobility.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 14, 2012, 04:01:52 am »

Could the squad accidentally be restricted to a burrow that doesn't include those areas?
I managed to get it working by deconstructing the barracks and setting them up in the dining room and then locking the doors into the former barracks

Is there any bug that prevents military dorfs from obeying orders when barracks and their designated rooms colide? I put two beds into the barracks and assigned them to those two. And other dwarfs that didn't have rooms went outside with no problem

They always rushed to their room, former barracks, when I ordered them to kill something. When I locked them, they went to do the killing.
Pretty damn annoying when a damn kobolt in between the entrance and the dining room grinds you fortress to a halt and you can just curse at your military
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: April 14, 2012, 08:04:57 am »

Hot-tubs/goblin-boilers.

So I have this idea that could have two possible uses. I was thinking of creating a small pool of water in my fort and creating a pipeline of magma o go under the floor.

Side view:

=~~~=
======
~~~~~
======

My thinking is that the magma would warm up the rock under the water which would in turn warm the water. Depending on how hot it gets it would either be a hot tub for my expedition leader or a torture device for captured goblins where I could boil them alive.

Now would it even work is the question I want to ask before I undertake it, because if it doesn't it would just ruin my forts symmetry in vain :p

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 14, 2012, 09:11:22 am »

Magma 2 z-levels below ice will melt it (so I hear) but it won't do anything special for water, other than keep it from freezing. You'll know it's warm, though. As far as I know, it won't even evaporate any faster.

What you *could* do is make a magma-powered steam room. Set up water and magma to combine in such a way that the resultant obsidian falls onto the magma flow and disappears, and let the steam rise up and fill a specially prepared area; preferably, rising from floor grates. You'd definitely want a way to turn this off, because if not you'd get a lot of cave-in messages.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 14, 2012, 01:19:48 pm »

Can anything be done with  raw green\crystal glass  besides the jeweler cutting them?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 14, 2012, 01:22:16 pm »

it's sometimes required for moods.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 14, 2012, 04:38:03 pm »

Very dumb, noob question, but for some reason none of my dwarves want to build a second wood furnace.  The building says it requires 'architecture', but of course there is no job listed as such.  Isn't it carpentry that I need activated?  I can't remember for some reason.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 14, 2012, 04:40:07 pm »

Is there any way of placing a note or label message on levers or walls??  My fort is becoming more and more complex with levers and if I pull the wrong lever for the wrong task it could become a minor or major problem.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1259 on: April 14, 2012, 04:41:58 pm »

Very dumb, noob question, but for some reason none of my dwarves want to build a second wood furnace.  The building says it requires 'architecture', but of course there is no job listed as such.  Isn't it carpentry that I need activated?  I can't remember for some reason.

Enable the 'architect' labor on a dwarf.  It's listed under 'other jobs' on the labor tab.

Is there any way of placing a note or label message on levers or walls??  My fort is becoming more and more complex with levers and if I pull the wrong lever for the wrong task it could become a minor or major problem.

Press 'N' to access te Notes function.  This lets you attach short notes to specific locations on the map.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 422