Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882097 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1230 on: April 12, 2012, 11:13:01 pm »

Ideal weapons to make out of silver?
Silver Mace.  Larger surface area size than a Hammer.
Silver Hammer.  Good in a crowds, since its faster to swing.

Hard choice.  I always go with the Mace.  Since for speed, I plan to have some Obsidian Short Swords in the mix, if I get lucky with regional volcanism.  *shrug*  Otherwise I go with Hammers.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:40:29 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: April 12, 2012, 11:33:39 pm »

Actually, I think you want less surface area for blunt weapons. Less surface area means the force is concentrated in a smaller area, so you get less massive bruisings and more shattered bones. This is also why silver crossbow bolts are so deadly- very small surface area means even if you have armor, the piercing gets converted to blunt and fractures your everything.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: April 12, 2012, 11:39:59 pm »

I meant to say size.  Size determines damage in DF weapons.  Sorry, not surface area.  My mistake.  I like the BFGs.  HEH.  Silver is dense while remaining light, so it swing faster, and strikes harder.  Correct?  That's its bonus, I think.  Silver whips, being the penultimate.  If you can relinquish a goblin of one, woohoo!  Dwarven Lashers!!!  Thanks for correcting me, Monk12.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: April 13, 2012, 01:13:32 am »

What determines the size of a zombie seige?
Is it size of your fortress, number of zombies available to the necromancer, or some other factor?

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: April 13, 2012, 06:35:19 am »

my military doesn't want to bulge out of the barracks to kill some invaders
the path is not blocked, they are training so no drinking/sleeping/eating, they are all equipped
they get a job "Kill xyz" but don't rush to them and just watch the floor
they also don't want to follow a station order, eventhough they get the same job description as above

What the hell is wrong with my military dorfs?
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: April 13, 2012, 06:58:02 am »

is there any way to select which webs should be gathered? the idiots keep on targeting unreachable webs while there are other webs they can reach.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1236 on: April 13, 2012, 08:08:07 am »

my military doesn't want to bulge out of the barracks to kill some invaders
the path is not blocked, they are training so no drinking/sleeping/eating, they are all equipped
they get a job "Kill xyz" but don't rush to them and just watch the floor
they also don't want to follow a station order, eventhough they get the same job description as above

What the hell is wrong with my military dorfs?

They can't reach the invaders, or the spot you want them to move to.  Check to see if you've got a locked door, raised drawbridge, or broken stair or ramp somewhere.

is there any way to select which webs should be gathered? the idiots keep on targeting unreachable webs while there are other webs they can reach.

Go to your Stocks screen.  Forbid all webs.  Then manually un-forbid the webs you want them to collect.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: April 13, 2012, 09:06:58 am »

They can't reach the invaders, or the spot you want them to move to.  Check to see if you've got a locked door, raised drawbridge, or broken stair or ramp somewhere.
As I said the path is not blocked by doors/bridges/burrows/etc., my haulers can get easily outside to fetch the cages from my cage traps. The only thing my two military dorfs are capable of is training, they don't even obey the command to station in the dining room which is besides the barracks. Even if I disable training, they don't want to do anything but drink, sleep and eat.

I'll try to disband this squad and make another one.
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: April 13, 2012, 09:23:20 am »

WAD or BUG, it seems that only one stockpile can take from another (same) stockpile, if you define a second to take from the same parent stockpile, the first is not taking anymore.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: April 13, 2012, 09:56:18 am »

I just had a dwarf arrive with no right foot.  She has 298 kills (all in The Occult Frost, wherever that is), some pretty damned high military skills, and... no crutch-walking skill and no crutch.  She just collapsed at the edge of the map and waited.

Eventually someone brought her to the hospital.  She was evaluated ("Hmm... missin' a foot."), and given a crutch.

How on earth did she manage to survive that long without one....  (Yeah, I know, "world gen is different".)

Oh, even more fun: I just noticed a sock and a shoe, owned by her, sitting on the edge of the map.  Looks like she arrived with 2 socks and 2 shoes, saw no use for the second one, and dropped 'em.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:59:26 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:50 am »

Maybe she was running on adrenaline for the past few years, and upon seeing the beauty carnage that is your fortress she wept with joy lost all hope, and in that moment realized that she'd been going for all these years without a foot.

Cue the hovering sock + shoe dropping from where her foot should be like a cartoon character realizing they aren't on solid ground anymore.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: April 13, 2012, 12:06:56 pm »

As I said the path is not blocked by doors/bridges/burrows/etc., my haulers can get easily outside to fetch the cages from my cage traps. The only thing my two military dorfs are capable of is training, they don't even obey the command to station in the dining room which is besides the barracks. Even if I disable training, they don't want to do anything but drink, sleep and eat.

Could the squad accidentally be restricted to a burrow that doesn't include those areas?
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: April 13, 2012, 12:41:57 pm »

WAD or BUG, it seems that only one stockpile can take from another (same) stockpile, if you define a second to take from the same parent stockpile, the first is not taking anymore.
It's not a bug, stockpiles have worked like that forever. You can set up a stockpile to take from multiple, but you can't have a stockpile be taken from by multiple. You can form a ring or chain with several stockpiles, though I don't remember if items will skip stockpiles that can't hold them in a ring or get stuck at the last stockpile that can hold them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: April 13, 2012, 04:40:33 pm »

OK i looked at: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Container

But that causes me more questions then it solved. Can a large pot really store 60,000 solids of liquids?

Bin- When it says items what type of items?

Can ammunition only be stored in quivers? Can quivers be stored in anything else?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: April 13, 2012, 05:11:21 pm »

The 60,000 thing is misleading.  I'm not sure how many drinks a barrel stores, but it's a much more sane number than that.  That's probably CCs or something similar.

Bins can contain a large variety of items, but the list is pretty exhaustive and I won't try to reproduce it here.  Things like blocks, bars, cloth, leather and more can be stored in bins, whereas certain things like liquids and raw stone cannot.

Ammo can be stored in bins in a stockpile, but to be used it needs to be stored in a quiver (or held in the dwarf's hand... maybe, not sure on that one).  Dwarves will automatically do that if they have their job / uniform set up properly.

I'm not sure, but I think quivers can be stored in bins.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 422