Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882124 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1185 on: April 09, 2012, 12:56:03 am »

l-create squad appointed by this leader

Okay what does this mean?  When I use it in the military it just creates a squad with 10 empties, and no leader.  The choice only appears in the Commander's squad.  So I'm thinking its somekind of interwoven 'leader' skill function.  However, it doesn't seem to be working in this [06]version.  Any ideas?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: April 09, 2012, 01:03:48 am »

l-create squad appointed by this leader

Okay what does this mean?  When I use it in the military it just creates a squad with 10 empties, and no leader.  The choice only appears in the Commander's squad.  So I'm thinking its somekind of interwoven 'leader' skill function.  However, it doesn't seem to be working in this [06]version.  Any ideas?

It just makes as new squad, AFAIK.  The dwarf in the first slot will be a Militia Captain.  I've never seen any special interactions between the commander and the captains.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: April 09, 2012, 01:22:50 am »

I was under the impression as a result of this extra command/feature, l, in the commander's squad, that the commander squad was a training grounds for captains.  As a result I have all my leader types in the command squad, for awhile, and then I move them off into their own commisioned squads.  However first I put anyone with Leader in the command squad. 

This doesn't appear to have any bennies, as Teacher and Student appear to be disabled and not progressing.  You got any Teacher and Student progression going on there in your fortress?  Am I banging my head against the proverbial wall, fer naut?  LOL!  Wouldn't be the first time I did something completely and utterly wrong.  I think I should keep a wrong log, just so I can go back and read it, and lol at myself.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 09, 2012, 03:33:29 am »

How many and which clothing choose dwarves to wear, if they would have enough of all clothing?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 09, 2012, 04:21:05 am »

How can I build (deploy) an artifact table in my dining room? I can't select it as a table from the build table menu.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 09, 2012, 04:31:17 am »

If the table is still in the workshop or being hauled you can't select it for building yet.
That's all i can think of, as i recall being able to build artifacts in the past.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 09, 2012, 04:54:02 am »

This doesn't appear to have any bennies, as Teacher and Student appear to be disabled and not progressing.  You got any Teacher and Student progression going on there in your fortress?  Am I banging my head against the proverbial wall, fer naut?

I fooled around with Teacher/Student for a bit, embarking with Proficient teachers and seeing what they would do.  I liked the idea of a sword "master" going out in the woods to train new students.  It worked ok, not great.  Now I'm doing squads of 2, or 3 with 2 set to train at a time.  And the results are impressive.  Swordmasters in a little over a year.  Because they spar all the time.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 09, 2012, 06:21:46 am »

Will my patroling marksdwarfs with ambush skills, walk in stealth?  I have ambush disabled so as to avoid a uniform conflict, but they still have it, some upwards to ambush lv10.  So since they HAVE it, will they use stealth on walks between points?  I tried testing this, but I think the goblins the patrol went past, were bugged.  They didn't shoot at the dwarf on patrol.  This makes me think it does work.  But I cannot be certain.  What do you think?

The last time I tested it, it didn't work. Dwarfs are too trigger happy. I recommend more testing!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 09, 2012, 07:42:38 am »

Only hunters use stealth afaik
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 09, 2012, 08:40:30 am »

How many and which clothing choose dwarves to wear, if they would have enough of all clothing?

We're still learning the new clothing system, but as far as I can tell, dwarves will wear one of everything if given the chance.  Except for socks, shoes, mittens and gloves -- they wear two of those, barring any remaining "can't figure out how to wear socks and shoes at the same time" bugs.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 09, 2012, 09:55:43 am »

My dwarves absolutely refuse to make charcoal.  I have a shit-ton of wood surrounding my wood furnace, I have furnace operation enabled on several dwarves, and even one worthless dwarf with ONLY furnace operation selected, but he sits around with NO JOB active.

Not sure what's wrong...

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 09, 2012, 09:59:08 am »

My dwarves absolutely refuse to make charcoal.  I have a shit-ton of wood surrounding my wood furnace, I have furnace operation enabled on several dwarves, and even one worthless dwarf with ONLY furnace operation selected, but he sits around with NO JOB active.

You want "Wood-burning" enabled, under the Farming section.  I often wish these two 'jobs' were folded together because I frequently forget they are separate tasks too.  Furnace operator is for smelting activities.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 09, 2012, 10:02:42 am »

You want "Wood-burning" enabled, under the Farming section.  I often wish these two 'jobs' were folded together because I frequently forget they are separate tasks too.  Furnace operator is for smelting activities.
aw jeez... I feel so dumb haha... thanks.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 09, 2012, 01:01:22 pm »

I fooled around with Teacher/Student for a bit, embarking with Proficient teachers and seeing what they would do.  [...] Swordmasters in a little over a year.  Because they spar all the time.

Heh.  Yeah, sparring beats the hell out of teaching (demonstrations) every time.

Unless you're saying that teaching skill leads to fewer demonstrations and more sparring...?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 09, 2012, 01:30:31 pm »

We're still learning the new clothing system, but as far as I can tell, dwarves will wear one of everything if given the chance.  Except for socks, shoes, mittens and gloves -- they wear two of those, barring any remaining "can't figure out how to wear socks and shoes at the same time" bugs.

greedy drunk bastards  :P

Thank you for answer.

BTW, another one about clothing:
At wiki (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Armor#Lower_Body) I read about "baries" and it isn't marked as foregin, but I couldn't find out where such thing is made (even through job manager). Is it wrong at wiki or I'm blind?
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 422