Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882181 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1110 on: April 06, 2012, 10:24:11 am »

is there any way other than building an animal cage to get rid of "tame" vermin? one person in my fort is unhappy from repeatedly seeing a hamster in a regular cage that I got from an elf caravan that traded with goblins, or tried to at least.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

shinkunosuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: April 06, 2012, 12:13:35 pm »

Quick question.  I am trying to build a magma smelter/forge but it won't let me place the buildings.  I trying to build them on a constructed segment (constructed floors) with holes in the appropriate places and magma on the level below with a depth of 7/7.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I have to make tunnels and divert lava for my magma furnaces/forges?

As for the vermin in cages, I always have to place the cage, attach a lever, then pull the lever.  Wish there was a better way.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: April 06, 2012, 12:34:09 pm »

When you're placing it, does it say anything in the menu on the right side of the screen, like "site blocked"?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: April 06, 2012, 12:43:38 pm »

As for the vermin in cages, I always have to place the cage, attach a lever, then pull the lever.  Wish there was a better way.
Could you just de-assign the vermin from the built cage, or assign it to a pasture?
(I don't know for sure here, my general process of dealing with vermin cages is to either toss them into magma or melt them down and let the cats eat the vermin.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

shinkunosuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 06, 2012, 12:51:41 pm »

Magma smelter/forge problem -- Yes it does say site blocked.

Vermin problem -- De-assigning doesn't work, haven't really tried assigning to pasture, give me a few minutes.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: April 06, 2012, 12:55:04 pm »

I usually get spammed with job cancelations if I try it
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

shinkunosuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: April 06, 2012, 01:03:24 pm »

Magma forge/smelter -- It doesn't even let me place a construction site, giving the site blocked reason. 

Vermin in a cage -- Vermin don't show up as animals thus you are unable to de-assign/assign them to pasture.  I rather not throw them into the magma, I want the cages ^.^

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: April 06, 2012, 01:08:45 pm »

Magma forge/smelter -- It doesn't even let me place a construction site, giving the site blocked reason. 

Vermin in a cage -- Vermin don't show up as animals thus you are unable to de-assign/assign them to pasture.  I rather not throw them into the magma, I want the cages ^.^
For the magma forge this means that there is something there such as a wall that you need to remove first.

Vermin- Guess that means that the answer to your original question of "is there an easier way then building and connecting to a lever" is "no".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

shinkunosuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: April 06, 2012, 01:19:45 pm »

Magma Smelter/Forge problem -- my site looks like:

F  F F F F
W F O F F
W F F F F
W F F F F
W W W W

Where W = Constructed wall
          F = Constructed floor
          O = Open space to level below (which is 7/7 magma)

I'm trying to build the smelter over the bold.

I'm getting the error: "Smelter placement blocked"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: April 06, 2012, 01:27:37 pm »

use k to see if there is something hidden, it shouldn't be blocked.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1120 on: April 06, 2012, 01:29:36 pm »

Magma Smelter/Forge problem -- my site looks like:

F  F F F F
W F O F F
W F F F F
W F F F F
W W W W

Where W = Constructed wall
          F = Constructed floor
          O = Open space to level below (which is 7/7 magma)

I'm trying to build the smelter over the bold.

I'm getting the error: "Smelter placement blocked"

Are you building a Smelter, or a Magma Smelter?  You can't build a Smelter if any of the tiles are open space over magma, but you should be able to build a Magma Smelter there.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

shinkunosuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: April 06, 2012, 01:32:29 pm »

What's the hot-keys/menu options to get a magma smelter as opposed to a regular smelter?  I don't see an option for a "magma" smelter in my menus.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: April 06, 2012, 01:43:01 pm »

it should be (b) (e) (l)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1123 on: April 06, 2012, 01:51:15 pm »

The magma smelter and other magma workshops will not actually appear in your build menus until you discover magma.  You need to actually have the 'you have discovered a great magma sea' message pop up to enable them.  If you just created magma with dfliquids instead, you won't be able to build them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

shinkunosuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: April 06, 2012, 01:55:34 pm »

Yeah, there's the problem.  Well that explains why all of a sudden I fail at dwarf fortress.  Then the question becomes how do I trigger the message and "breach" the magma.  I'm looking at a very large (naturally made) pool of it and am building in the chasm over it. 
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 422