Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882180 times)

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1065 on: April 04, 2012, 02:46:03 pm »

What is the minimum required number of dwarves to get access to all game features?

Init states "your population must be at least 80 to get a king and 100 to obtain the current game features."
but the wiki says "monarch requires 140 population (falsely stated as 80 in the init file)"

So, what is the minimum number? I'd like to get the king finally, but keep the number of citizens as low as possible, because of FPS.

Also, will disabling pregnancies in the init file stop my tame animalmen from having babies too?

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: April 04, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »

I am having an issue with a trade caravan arriving but me not being able to trade with them. Anyone else have this issue? I have a broker and goods there.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1067 on: April 04, 2012, 03:16:46 pm »

I am having an issue with a trade caravan arriving but me not being able to trade with them. Anyone else have this issue? I have a broker and goods there.

Need more information.  What happens when you select the depot and press 't'?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: April 04, 2012, 03:18:03 pm »

You'll need to check the following;

- Broker is at the depot with 'Trade At Depot' as job (he will also have this job if he is on his way to the depot, but can't trade until he arrives)
- The depot doesn't state 'There are no merchants trading at present' - which it will say if the merchants have aborted their trade stop for some reason (eg. death, insanity, etc)
- If you can select trade but it gives the message about 'still unloading' it usually means there's more wagons/animals/merchants on their way to the depot, and won't let you trade until everyone is there
- Ensure the depot itself isn't forbidden (the objects listed as [ B ] in the inspec't' screen are the building materials, if any of them are Forbidden - marked with an F - it may impair the use of the building) - although I'm not sure if the caravan would be able to use it either in this case

Possible solutions;

- if the broker is not at the depot, either wait until he arrives, or burrow him to the depot by creating a burrow containing only the trade depot, or allow anyone to trade in the depot options
- if the merchants are not at the depot, check that they aren't prevented from trading due to absence / death / other serious issue, ensure that they still have a clear path to the depot (buildings can sometimes get deconstructed by passing trolls or tantruming dwarves, including bridges etc) - also check that they haven't decided to just leave, sometimes this message can get buried if you're experiencing heavy message spam (usually mass job cancellations due to water, magma or badgers)
- if the depot is forbidden, you can reclaim it - if merchants are in the area then you may deliberately accidentally claim all their stuff too, so you may want to do this carefully to achieve the desired result.

I've never personally experienced the problem - my dwarves have happily exported spiky wooden balls on many an occasion - so I can only give you some general guidance. Hopefully it'll be of some help.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: April 04, 2012, 03:19:25 pm »

t is greyed out

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: April 04, 2012, 03:20:49 pm »

What is the minimum required number of dwarves to get access to all game features?

Init states "your population must be at least 80 to get a king and 100 to obtain the current game features."
but the wiki says "monarch requires 140 population (falsely stated as 80 in the init file)"

So, what is the minimum number? I'd like to get the king finally, but keep the number of citizens as low as possible, because of FPS.

Also, will disabling pregnancies in the init file stop my tame animalmen from having babies too?

140 is the number you're looking for, all but certain.  No idea about disabling the pregnancies.  Animal men don't count as part of your population as far as I know... so I suspect it won't have any effect, but I've never tried it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: April 04, 2012, 03:21:13 pm »

I just now had an issue with my dwarf caravan not trading... I *think* what happened is that the human caravan was slow getting their stuff packed and getting off the map, and by the time they were leaving, it wouldn't let me trade, it said there were no merchants (although the dwarves were actually still there). Is it possible something like that happened?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1072 on: April 04, 2012, 03:21:44 pm »

t is greyed out

Then either your broker isn't at the depot, or you don't have a trade caravan at the depot.  Make sure your broker is actually going to the depot.  If necessary, cancel all his other jobs.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: April 04, 2012, 03:22:28 pm »

Are pond turtles supposed to come in "swarms"? I ran across such a swarm while swimming in a river fork in adventure mode. There was a normal pond turtle right next to it. DF is (nearly, couple minor entity changes) unmodded on my computer.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: April 04, 2012, 06:23:34 pm »

^ this

and indeed only the original tiles will 'catch the rain'. There is one more thing, if you're in a colder biome, when the water freezes, it will unfreeze as 7/7, even if it was 3/7 when it froze.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: April 04, 2012, 06:40:36 pm »

If I change [POPULATION_CAP:] in d_init, will it effect my current world, or will I have to gen a new one?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: April 04, 2012, 06:51:25 pm »

If I change [POPULATION_CAP:] in d_init, will it effect my current world, or will I have to gen a new one?

It will affect, won't need to regen.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: April 04, 2012, 09:21:21 pm »

t is greyed out

Then either your broker isn't at the depot, or you don't have a trade caravan at the depot.  Make sure your broker is actually going to the depot.  If necessary, cancel all his other jobs.
My broker wasn't brokeraging for some reason.  Changed broker and fixed. Thanks

Some more questions:
#1. Cave moss- Where does cave moss grow? I have some muddy loam that has been around for 3 years and never got any moss there. Does it only work on stone floor tiles?
#2. How tough is a minotaur to weak troops? I have one right outside <_<;;.
#3. WTF do I do with all these cats? I have like 50.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:28:17 pm by Darthlawsuit »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: April 04, 2012, 09:54:06 pm »

Some more questions:
#1. Cave moss- Where does cave moss grow? I have some muddy loam that has been around for 3 years and never got any moss there. Does it only work on stone floor tiles?
1. Cave moss grows underground on soil or muddied floor. It only grows after breaching one or more caverns.

2. I'm fairly certain that a minotaur will be at least moderately challenging in a straight fight. If you don't think your militia is up to the task, consider using traps.

3. Good news: you are unlikely to get anymore cats after you reach 50. You can mark any that aren't pets to be butchered through the Z-animals screen.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: April 04, 2012, 11:41:16 pm »

Some more questions:
1. Cave moss grows underground on soil or muddied floor. It only grows after breaching one or more caverns.

2. I'm fairly certain that a minotaur will be at least moderately challenging in a straight fight. If you don't think your militia is up to the task, consider using traps.

3. Good news: you are unlikely to get anymore cats after you reach 50. You can mark any that aren't pets to be butchered through the Z-animals screen.
Thanks! Guess I will have to go to one of those caverns <_<;;. Have to prepare to flood the thing afterwards so I don't have to defend against anything.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 422