Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882229 times)

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1050 on: April 03, 2012, 08:44:45 pm »

Is it worthwhile to build silver walls for a prison  OR   does only quality furniture and quality food make a difference?
I don't think room quality affects the moods of prisoners. I could be wrong.

I have started in a mountain biome. So far the only water to be found is above ground. Do mountains have aquifers or should I try to just use the ponds.
Mountains don't generally have aquifers, since very few types of stone carry the [AQUIFER] tag.
Any way of getting non-murky water? Just fresh clean water?

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:02 pm »

I have started in a mountain biome. So far the only water to be found is above ground. Do mountains have aquifers or should I try to just use the ponds.

If you dig deep enough the caverns should have clean water to use... because those ponds are stagnant water.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:57 pm »

[...]
There's the caverns, but I find is easier to just use a well and keep water at least 2 Z's deep to keep mud out of the bucket.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: April 03, 2012, 08:56:07 pm »

[...]
There's the caverns, but I find is easier to just use a well and keep water at least 2 Z's deep to keep mud out of the bucket.
So if I have a reservoir 2Z deep it will clean the murky water due to mud falling to the bottom?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: April 03, 2012, 08:59:04 pm »

[...]
So if I have a reservoir 2Z deep it will clean the murky water due to mud falling to the bottom?
The water will still be stagnant, but you'll be getting buckets of stagnant water, rather than buckets of stagnant water laced with mud.
Dwarves should drink it just fine.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: April 03, 2012, 11:19:10 pm »

My dwarves keep going insane or throwing a tantrum since the last goblin attack. I appointed a captain of the guard but he kept throwing tantrums and eventually went insane.

How does justice work? Does the captain of guard just go around arresting tantrum people and killing the insanes or do I have to order my troops to kill them like usual?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: April 03, 2012, 11:32:35 pm »

My dwarves keep going insane or throwing a tantrum since the last goblin attack. I appointed a captain of the guard but he kept throwing tantrums and eventually went insane.

How does justice work? Does the captain of guard just go around arresting tantrum people and killing the insanes or do I have to order my troops to kill them like usual?
Justice dwarves will punish dwarves who attack other dwarves or commit other crimes, like toppling furniture.
Any military dwarf should also attack berserk dwarves on sight.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: April 04, 2012, 12:11:51 am »

Justice hasn't really worked for me so far.  Only 3 tantrum spirals, but while I did send a few dwarfs to prison for murder through the (z) justice menu, no one else got punished for breaking stuff, starting fights.

I've given up on it for now. 

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: April 04, 2012, 02:59:28 am »

I generally find it better to keep my dwarfs so happy that they won't start a tantrum even if hubby and eldest son snuff it together.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: April 04, 2012, 03:13:03 am »

I generally find it better to keep my dwarfs so happy that they won't start a tantrum even if hubby and eldest son snuff it together.
I had a string of deaths associated with a goblin attack.... They screwed up economy because of it and people were dehydrated.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: April 04, 2012, 09:08:10 am »

Try digging deeper!  There's other sources of underground water besides aquifers.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 04, 2012, 09:11:01 am »

I... 'found' some really cool domesticated animals in my trade depot... after the elves... left with no explanation... and left stains all over the place...

but i digress, how do i take these giant brown recluse spiders, giant ticks, giant brown bears, eagles and stuff, and implement them effectively into my military? war training on the z animals screen is disabled for all of them.

they're all already 'domesticated' status btw. they are caged in my animal stockpile at the moment

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: April 04, 2012, 09:34:33 am »

the giant bugs are pretty much useless, their lifespan is 1 year unless you mod them a bit. I'd make the spider live longer and be able to reproduce, and trainable, because they're probably just as deadly as GCS: webbing and poison. Trainable might not even be needed with carnivorous tag.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: April 04, 2012, 11:15:23 am »

I have noticed that my above ground ponds are growing. How do I encourage this more?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: April 04, 2012, 01:43:23 pm »

I have noticed that my above ground ponds are growing. How do I encourage this more?

Above-ground pools can fill when it rains (and evaporate when the weather is too hot).  You can expand the pool by channeling (d->h) its edges.  The water will slosh into the new space, lowering the overall water level, and if you are in a rainy enough biome the periodic rains will refill the whole pool back to 7/7 eventually.  The only tiles that can gain water in this manner, however, are tiles marked "murky pool", IIRC.  I don't believe the newly channeled portions of the pool gain this tag - only the original 'pool' spaces that were there when you embarked.  So, you can not create an entirely new pool by channeling a big hole in the ground and waiting for it to fill.

Be aware that the above-ground pools are not ideal water sources - the water is stagnant, which means your dwarves get bad thoughts from drinking it, and more infections from giving it to wounded dwarves.  It can be cleaned using a screw pump to pump it into a cistern, but that can be very tricky/buggy - IMHO its simpler to 'dig deeper' to get to clean water.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 422