Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882280 times)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #990 on: April 01, 2012, 03:11:14 am »

ALWAYS have important levers in places where lots of people will be that are NOT panicking because of a goblin ambush. Near bedrooms, dining halls, statue guardens, meeting areas (if you use those) in secure locations is favorite.

Would it work to have important levers inside the "civilians hide here during sieges" burrow?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 01, 2012, 03:22:49 am »

your bedrooms are not in that burrow? My siege burrow is everywhere except outside and the entrance hallway. Life has to go on even though some idiot green skins are camping outside.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:26:36 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 01, 2012, 04:13:43 am »

Are Burrows bugged now?  When I designing them, encompassing non digged areas, then upon digging I realize that only the not yet digged, but uncovered squares are in the burrow, and the others are not.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 01, 2012, 04:19:35 am »

I don't understand what you are saying.

I have about 8 completely safe levels and I just set the whole area in the burrow, top right to bottom left, then scroll down (or up, depends where I started) and press enter again and the whole level including not yet dug areas are in the burrow now.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 01, 2012, 06:22:19 am »

Have you designated already the areas to be dug before designing the burrow?

For me it don't work. Let me rephrase. Say you have a tunnel, with 2 walls. You define a burrow that should encompass, the tunnel, the 2 walls plus extra tiles on each side. Then you tell your miner to dig all the area. For me, it will dig the 2 walls (and uncover new tiles in the process), and then stop. If I look at the burrow, I see that the newly discovered tiles are not in the burrow, even if the rectangle I used to define it (the burrow) encompassed them all.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 01, 2012, 06:29:01 am »

Hm, a tantrumming child because she's not covered. Except she's wearing a dress. She's also picked up a pair x(sheep wool trousers)x but still complaining. I suppose a shirt is needed? AWdeV and I thought she might want a tunic, but I have one of those lying in the clothier, so it can't be that. Wait; that's claimed.

E; tantrum stopped, now just miserable.
E2; newer pants (and one glove), very unhappy.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:33:27 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 01, 2012, 07:16:11 am »

one word: shoes

and on the burrow, I understood perfectly. It's just that it's working fine for me and I'm happily digging out a soil layer to use as tree farm while everyone is burrowed.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 01, 2012, 08:56:58 am »

I have a guy who claimed a workshop and he's just sitting there "sketching" a forest, a quarry, square blocks, cut gems and skeletons.  I have all of this stuff, but he just sits there... ???

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 01, 2012, 09:10:12 am »

he may want some special material. My advice is to use dfhack showmood to see what he wants. he might want a metal bar, or rock blocks, or whatever

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 01, 2012, 11:05:43 am »

one word: shoes
oh, kay. thanks.

Also, I just chucked a naked mole dog from +4 to -6 yet it survived. I thought a depth of ten was guaranteed splatter? :( Of course, it's still dying as the nervous tissue of the upper spine is eviscerated, but still.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: April 01, 2012, 12:09:44 pm »

I had a migrant wave include a dwarf missing half of one leg. He was in the middle of hopping his way into my fort, but then a giant arrived. The other migrants made it into the fort, but that one dwarf was caught by the giant. The giant attacked him, tearing the other leg off, and has been strangling that one dwarf for the past three seasons. My dwarf won't die, and the giant is too busy strangling to do anything else. I'm not particularly attatched to that dwarf, but I would like to cage the giant. Will the dwarf die eventually, or have I encountered a bug of soem sort?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 01, 2012, 12:12:57 pm »

Also, I just chucked a naked mole dog from +4 to -6 yet it survived. I thought a depth of ten was guaranteed splatter? :( Of course, it's still dying as the nervous tissue of the upper spine is eviscerated, but still.

science in that area has shown that it is fatal in 99% of the cases, variety possible for different creatures and possibly armor, which is why I always go for about 14 z levels.

____

The dwarf should die at some point

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 01, 2012, 12:15:18 pm »

I have a guy who claimed a workshop and he's just sitting there "sketching" a forest, a quarry, square blocks, cut gems and skeletons.  I have all of this stuff, but he just sits there... ???

He might want multiple of each, or a specific type of item.  Check his Thoughts page for stuff he likes.  Also if you (t) his workshop you can see what he's collected so far.  If the last item is bones, for instance, see if you have more bones available.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: April 02, 2012, 01:37:04 am »

1. is silver slightly better than iron for bolts, as it is more dense (I think?)

2. if you abandon your fortress, are the dwarves sent to limbo space or they are added back to the Dwarves settlements?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 02, 2012, 02:58:58 am »

1. is silver slightly better than iron for bolts, as it is more dense (I think?)

2. if you abandon your fortress, are the dwarves sent to limbo space or they are added back to the Dwarves settlements?

Silver is better because crossbow bolts are a BLUNT attack (for some reason).  So heavier bolt == better bolt.  Copper is also heavier than iron, but lighter than silver.

Yes, I just had dwarf from an abandoned fort migrate to my new fort.  He still had his nickname!  Oh "__omni__", you did every job until almost everyone died of thirst.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 422