Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882358 times)

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #855 on: March 25, 2012, 10:58:04 pm »

One last question for the night...

My trade depot has suddenly become inaccessible just beyond my drawbridge.  It's up, I removed seemingly all obstacles, slopes, etc.  There's a diorite boulder that could be in the way I guess, not sure how it got there, don't know how to move it, hasn't been a problem before...

What could be the cause?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 25, 2012, 11:33:36 pm »

I think you can get rid of builders by making a paved road.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 25, 2012, 11:35:31 pm »

You can smoothe it, but you can't build a road over it, i think you can build constructed floor on it though.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 26, 2012, 01:35:52 am »

boulders shouldn't block the path. When you say the drawbridge is up, you mean raised? Or is it a retractable and it is extended?

fire damages the fat layer and can cause a lot of bleeding. A wildfire can kill everything on the map on one z-level, especially if they path through it/get caught in it more than once.

A little note on titans and FB: sometimes they are made of weird things like water or mist or other rather weak substances. When that happens, one hit to anything will sever it. Just wait till you get one made of steel or something. Preferably with deadly dust.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 26, 2012, 03:57:05 am »

Can milk be consumed as is?

Milk page on the wiki says it can be eaten raw, but few other places say it has to be turned into cheese or cooked.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 26, 2012, 04:04:23 am »

Yes I think so.

Also; is it just me or is bismuthinite FAR more common now than before?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 26, 2012, 05:55:14 am »

boulders shouldn't block the path. When you say the drawbridge is up, you mean raised? Or is it a retractable and it is extended?

fire damages the fat layer and can cause a lot of bleeding. A wildfire can kill everything on the map on one z-level, especially if they path through it/get caught in it more than once.

A little note on titans and FB: sometimes they are made of weird things like water or mist or other rather weak substances. When that happens, one hit to anything will sever it. Just wait till you get one made of steel or something. Preferably with deadly dust.
To clarify, the drawbridge is not blocking the path.  The trading caravans have never had trouble reaching my fort before.  The entire map is in red except to the very entrance of my fort, just beyond the drawbridge.  The only thing I can think of that could be blocking my entrance is that boulder, but I've never even noticed it until examining the ground in detail.

Could all of the ash left behind from the fire titan somehow block traffic?

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 26, 2012, 07:02:15 am »

Hm, what is the thing that triggers "a corpse has been found"? I had a real problem recently when my broker simply disappeared without a trace. I tried to search him but he wasn't among living nor among missing/dead. I thought it was a bug (damn annoying to find a dwarf with appraiser skill from a metropolis of 200+ dwarves in order to trade) but after a week he was reported missing, which finally indicated that he died at some point.

A cloud of miasma finally revealed the place of death. Too bad that broker's wife had been living in the same room with the corpse and sleeping on the corpse few weeks without noticing that her husband was dead. Also my guards stormed the room but none of them made a report that "trader X has been found dead".

It took a month after that, in a random moment, when dwarves decided that "hey that rotting corpse *might* be her husband/ the broker that is missing" and finally carried the corpse to a tomb.

I find it amusing that even if a murder doesn't have witnesses one can see the culprit from a memorial dedicated to a victim. It's pretty good detective work from that engraver.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:07:04 am by Kuikka »

Myiagros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 26, 2012, 07:15:56 am »

Stagnant Water  >:(

For some reason my brook goes from being perfectly clean water to stagnant whenever I crack it open to create a well. All water on my map is stagnant and infections are present for every injured dwarf. I've tried pumping the water out of my cistern into a newly made and smoothed one but it stayed stagnant as well. Is there any way to get clean water? If only dwarfs knew how to make chlorine....

Edit: I see, there is a bug....
There is currently a bug that if stagnant water and a river or a brook share a wall, the river or the brook will become stagnant. Bug:5232
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:21:14 am by Myiagros »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 26, 2012, 07:38:26 am »

damn annoying to find a dwarf with appraiser skill from a metropolis of 200+ dwarves in order to trade)

When you replace your broker, the list of dwarves is sorted by skill, in decreasing order.

Too bad that broker's wife had been living in the same room with the corpse and sleeping on the corpse few weeks without noticing that her husband was dead.

She was just so happy that he'd finally stopped snoring....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 26, 2012, 08:15:16 am »

My dwarfs are doing great with their clothing although... I've had to remove cabinets from rooms, they tend to store their used clothing there. Also, the used clothing is simply stored in a stockpile instead of being moved to a refuse pile to rot in pieces, so I still end up with a lot of used clothing... Is it actually decomposing on my regular stockpile? am I doing something wrong?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 26, 2012, 08:16:12 am »

To clarify, the drawbridge is not blocking the path.  The trading caravans have never had trouble reaching my fort before.  The entire map is in red except to the very entrance of my fort, just beyond the drawbridge.  The only thing I can think of that could be blocking my entrance is that boulder, but I've never even noticed it until examining the ground in detail.

Could all of the ash left behind from the fire titan somehow block traffic?

The depot's accessibility is measured from the depot outwards. So hit 'D' and follow the depot outwards. Where the green changes to red, that's your blocking problem.

The ash and the boulder both shouldn't be the problem. Trees grown from saplings? A bridge retracted or so?

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 26, 2012, 09:04:05 am »

map still on fire?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 26, 2012, 09:31:21 am »

It is the boulder.  Boulders and trees can block wagons.  You need to d-(s)mooth the boulder.  We've been so used to the wagons being gone that most people have forgotten or never seen this problem!

(and as an aside, I'm pretty sure boulders can spontaneously appear in terrain, from season to season which explains why it wasn't a problem before - so players use roads to keep boulders/trees from growing and blocking the depot.  And an easy little exploit is to designate a dummy stockpile 'road' instead, as nothing will grow on that)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:37:08 am by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 26, 2012, 09:54:34 am »

(damn annoying to find a dwarf with appraiser skill from a metropolis of 200+ dwarves in order to trade)
What. :o You don't have to have the person with the appraisal skill actually trading. Any schlob can trade and as long as the actual broker has the appraisal skill you can see the right values.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 422