Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882381 times)

badwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #765 on: March 22, 2012, 02:19:50 pm »

My farms are near the surface, and aren't really too close to my brewery/cooking area. It's not a bad trek, but it would be nice to figure this out for future forts. What's a more efficient way involving stockpiles? It sounds like a good idea to create a plant stockpile right near the farm for my farmers to stock, and then haulers can pick that up to bring it to the brewer plant stockpiles.

I guess my question really is this: how will they handle the plants in barrels? Will they pick up the barrels from the farmer's stockpile and transport them to the brewery stockpile, or do they move the individual stacks of plants instead and leave the barrels be? It'd be nice if the barrels were left alone, so the farmers wouldn't have to constantly fetch new barrels...

Why don't you build the still next to the farmers stockpile, after which haulers will transport the drink to the booze stockpile.

Fish have run dry and I don't like dealing with hunting for this site, so it's up to farming for food and booze. I suppose in the future, I'll keep the cooking and brewery close to the farms, and use haulers to deliver those to the dining room instead of stationing the cooks near the dining room. Only took me half a dozen forts and a suggestion from the forums for me to figure that one out, huh :P

Thanks!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 22, 2012, 04:25:12 pm »

I actually use z-levels. let's say on 0 is the farm with a seeds stockpile next to it, -1 will have farm related stockpile with in the middle the staircase. -2 has farm related workshops, -3 has the mass stockpile, no food, wood or stone, staircase in the middle again -4 has the other workshops, -5 the wood and stone stocks (stone is more important to me, so I focus on the deep) with the staircase the dividing line, -5 booze and food stockpiles, seperated since I don't keep meals in barrels or pot, again stairs in between the stockpiles. Most of the time the stack is too big anyway, so it's a waste of pots. -6 dining hall, nobles rooms, hospital. After that I get chaotic.

This may not be the most efficient setup, but it's easy to keep an eye on your supplies. Later on I split up the mass stockpile, puting the cages somewhere else for example, oving bar/blocks closer to the smiths, charcoal to the smelters etc, but that is for later, when I have time to dig it all out.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Weazal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 22, 2012, 06:15:03 pm »

I keep having my Dwarves walk to where the mob I gave them a command to kill was at when the command was given and stop, ignoring the fact that the creature has moved since then.
Is there any good way around this besides spamming more kill commands?

Additionally with the above issue, my dwarves will randomly decide it's necessary to later visit the location they had orders to go to in the past. Despite the orders being long canceled.

Is there anything I can do about these two things?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 22, 2012, 06:22:01 pm »

Quirks of the game, I'm afraid. I have much better results using Move Orders to thrust my dorfs at my foes, since I am much smarter about where their target is going and they (usually) go straight to the active move order, not the order I gave 5 seconds ago. Once they have line of sight they'll chase on their own.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 22, 2012, 08:02:53 pm »

once dwarfs get a station order, they remember the order, no matter if you remove the station later, and will go there, and to the next station etc. similarly, untill you cancel a kill order the dwarfs involved will hand around the corpse, poking it to see if it's really dead.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Weazal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 22, 2012, 08:37:07 pm »

Is that intended? I'd think cancel orders would clear all orders as if they never had any and returned to scheduled orders if any.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 23, 2012, 01:30:57 am »

My dwarves love dumping all of my cut gems into my garbage dump.  There they sit, and I'm ready to trade, but I can't retrieve those gems!  Could someone tell me how to remove those items from my dump?  Also, some of my crutches and splints ended up there too instead of in my hospital...

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 23, 2012, 01:35:50 am »

d-b-r to paint off and reclaim an area of forbidden stuff. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  Take care, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 23, 2012, 01:40:52 am »

Howthreads do I get my dwarves to clean blood outside?

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 23, 2012, 03:53:20 am »

Child grew up, I made her make an iron pick (for a strange mood) and the little rascal made it a masterpiece. With absolutely no skill.

What are the odds?
Extremely low, but higher if she has good mental stats or likes picks or iron. I once had a dwarf with no Mechanics skill but a ton of green text in his thoughts screen, and the first pageful of mechanisms he turned out were mostly *quality* or higher.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 23, 2012, 04:09:09 am »

not

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #776 on: March 23, 2012, 07:47:45 am »

Build a roof over the blood to make it inside.  Or build a floor directly on the blood to cover it up.  Or flood the area with water to wash the blood away, or with magma to burn it away.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 23, 2012, 09:43:36 am »

Advice required...

Here's my problem.  I can never get very far with my forts because I eventually end up with a ton of dwarves and seemingly nothing for them to do.  I usually designate and area for dumping or smoothing just to keep them busy.  Am I doing it wrong?  :(

Another problem:

I just encountered my first case of insanity.  I had a dwarf take a strange mood and claim the leatherworks workshop.  He sat there for seemingly forever, until finally he snapped and went crazy.  What should I have done to prevent him from going nuts?  What should I do with him now?  I had a couple pieces of leather sitting around for him to work with.  I checked his moods and it seemed like he didn't require anything.  Confused :(
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:50:04 am by ClawlessVictory »

TheTinCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 23, 2012, 10:15:57 am »

a dwarf went into a mood, and made a pair of rose gold greaves
does anyone know how good these would be, in comparsion to iron?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 23, 2012, 10:31:34 am »

Advice required...

Here's my problem.  I can never get very far with my forts because I eventually end up with a ton of dwarves and seemingly nothing for them to do.  I usually designate and area for dumping or smoothing just to keep them busy.  Am I doing it wrong?  :(

Another problem:

I just encountered my first case of insanity.  I had a dwarf take a strange mood and claim the leatherworks workshop.  He sat there for seemingly forever, until finally he snapped and went crazy.  What should I have done to prevent him from going nuts?  What should I do with him now?  I had a couple pieces of leather sitting around for him to work with.  I checked his moods and it seemed like he didn't require anything.  Confused :(

I have 20 out of 80 dwarfs idle and I really don't mind. two ambushes are killing themself in my halls at the moment and I really need those extra hands by the time they finish. Except for them suddenly making friends (the idea), having idle hands around will do you no serious harm.

did you check wih q and wait some time? he probably required more than leather and you didn't have it. Unless he wen berserk he will stop doing anything but walk around untill he dies.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 422