Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882415 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #735 on: March 19, 2012, 07:49:28 pm »

Yeah, you don't assign items/equipment to civilians. They figure it out on their own.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 19, 2012, 08:15:52 pm »

Yeah, you don't assign items/equipment to civilians. They figure it out on their own.
Well ultimately the problem is that my carpenter is carrying the axe and building various things, and my woodcutter is sitting on his ass instead of chopping down trees.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 19, 2012, 08:26:37 pm »

Then build more axes! You can never have enough axes. They're super useful too.

For example, today I noticed that the 2nd Deck Fire Axe bracket was loose, so I screwed it back in. Didn't have a screwdriver, so I used the fire axe. Worked a treat! Axes = screwdrivers.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 19, 2012, 09:15:11 pm »

Then build more axes! You can never have enough axes. They're super useful too.

For example, today I noticed that the 2nd Deck Fire Axe bracket was loose, so I screwed it back in. Didn't have a screwdriver, so I used the fire axe. Worked a treat! Axes = screwdrivers.
ah yeah, that's actually something I was working on... just need to figure out how to start metal production.  I'm on the cusp... really, I am!  :P

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 19, 2012, 09:21:29 pm »

Where do you all, build your farms workshops?  In the pen or outside of the pen? 

I'm finding it hard to believe its automated even though it says its automated, unless the milk/cheese is on a seperate task.  If so what is it doing? 

I'm going to try placing it in the top left hand corner of my 11x11 cow yak pen, and see if that automates stuff, its been outside the pen and I haven't got a cheese curd to my name. 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 19, 2012, 09:39:48 pm »

I think youre encountering the uniform bug. an axe or mining pick once used by military will be unusable by miners or woodcutters. Ive been told that this only applies to the ones you have embarked with.
Wood is easy enough to get since you can dismantle your wagon to build a carpenters shop and two training axes. But i have lost forts due to not being able to dig in against the undead because my picks were locked.
)=
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

badwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 19, 2012, 10:58:08 pm »

Hey, that's cool news if it only affected those from the initial embark...

Question of my own though, the reason I'm here. What are paved roads supposed to look like? I assumed they would be like smooth stone, represented by a + or something, but they instead use the ≈ symbol. I'm just making sure this is correct? I know I've seen roads as +, but I don't actually know when those versions of DF were (or maybe they were smooth stone or something). It was made out of schist if it makes any difference.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 19, 2012, 11:54:03 pm »

That sounds right. Constructed floors are +' as well so the road you were looking at was probably that. Also while being constructed paved roads will have a few +' on them untill finished.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

badwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 20, 2012, 04:00:23 am »

Thanks for the reply!

Another hopefully quick one. I was curious about barracks. How much of an impact is it to have multiple squads training on the same weapon rack/armor stand at the same time? How much room would each squad want to have, or does it not matter? I have half a dozen squads on two different barracks objects, in a single 10x10 room. I don't think it's caused that much of a problem so far... It's not six full squads, so it's around 30 dwarves, not including ones on break or on archery practice.

Just seeing if it's at all a problem to have everyone training in the same area on the same buildings, or if it was completely fine.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 20, 2012, 04:00:44 am »

If I smooth out the magnetite and lignite floor will this prevent mud if I allow water to enter?

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 20, 2012, 04:58:30 am »

If I smooth out the magnetite and lignite floor will this prevent mud if I allow water to enter?

No, I don't think so.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 20, 2012, 06:39:42 am »

Where do you all, build your farms workshops?  In the pen or outside of the pen? 

I'm finding it hard to believe its automated even though it says its automated, unless the milk/cheese is on a seperate task.  If so what is it doing? 

I'm going to try placing it in the top left hand corner of my 11x11 cow yak pen, and see if that automates stuff, its been outside the pen and I haven't got a cheese curd to my name.

farm workshop automated? I don't think it is. Need to tell it to shear and spin, or milk and make cheese manually. I never end up with wool if I don't order it, or with cheese.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 20, 2012, 06:41:01 am »

Well ultimately the problem is that my carpenter is carrying the axe and building various things, and my woodcutter is sitting on his ass instead of chopping down trees.

I'm pretty sure that that should mean that the carpenter has woodcutting active too, they only pick up an axe if it's through militairy or when woodcutting is enabled.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 20, 2012, 05:22:06 pm »

How much of an impact is it to have multiple squads training on the same weapon rack/armor stand at the same time? How much room would each squad want to have, or does it not matter?

I don't think it matters.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 20, 2012, 06:39:19 pm »

I think this got overlooked earlier, or I missed the answer, but what the heck do I do with royal jelly?  It's gumming up my jugs and preventing me from harvesting heony.  I can make new jugs and trade the others I suppose, but is there any way to reclaim the royal jelly filled jugs?  Do you have to cook it to get it out of the jugs?  Is that even possible?
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 422