Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882411 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #720 on: March 19, 2012, 10:01:30 am »

Also, how can I find exactly the item I'm looking for?  I have a ton of bolts but I can't find them anywhere.

If your bookkeeper's been doing her duty, you can go z -> stocks -> ammo -> Tab, then scroll down through the list.  Ammo that you've fired become forbidden by default, so you may have to unforbid a bunch of it.  Or use can use (z)oom from there to go to it, and then mass-reclaim stuff in the physical vicinity using d b c.

Ammo that hasn't been fired yet is probably sitting in your ammo stockpiles, or in the workshops where it was made.

Also, I have nest boxes but my ducks/ chickens never use them, instead, they hang out in my dining room.  It used to be a meeting area including animals, but I've since removed that zone.

Make a pasture (ducks/chickens don't eat, so it can be in a dark stone closet for all you care), assign the fowl to it, build the nest boxes inside the pasture, and then lock the door behind them.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 19, 2012, 10:04:05 am »

only lock the door if you want to breed them.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 19, 2012, 10:40:10 am »

Okay, thanks guys.  One more thing that's really bugging me.  My woodcutter simply refuses to chop trees.  I have one axe, and currently my militia leader seems to be equipped with it.  How do I get my layabout lumberjack to snatch to damn axe from this guy and do his job?

Also, my mechanic seems to sit around on his hands while there are mechanisms to be made! :(

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 19, 2012, 10:57:32 am »

got a mechanics workshop?

anyway, your militia leader won't let go unless he gets a better one. You'll have to make new axes or order him a different weapon, something like that.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 19, 2012, 11:04:34 am »

How do I get my layabout lumberjack to snatch to damn axe from this guy and do his job?

Assigning a different weapon to your militia commander works definitely, but he'll have to wrestle afterwards. I'm not sure if he'll just drop it if you put him off duty. Your best bet is probably to make a wooden training axe at a Carpenter's workshop and use that for tree killing.

Also, my mechanic seems to sit around on his hands while there are mechanisms to be made! :(

Check your burrows and if you have some non-economic stone lying around.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 19, 2012, 11:27:26 am »

Man, it seems like just as I'm starting to get the hang of things, something crazy happens and I'm totally lost again...

Looks like for whatever reason, we got into a fight with elves?  An elven caravan showed up at my place, suddenly a goblin snatcher showed up, I sent my squad after him, and all of a sudden I have a couple of seriously injured dwarves and it looks like all of the elves disappeared.  I check the kills on one of my dwarves and she killed 6 elves!  So now all of their stuff is just sitting in my trade depot and I have 3 dwarves near death and I'm not sure how to heal them...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 19, 2012, 02:45:10 pm »

Did you use the kill everything in an area order, or did you order the dwarves to attack a goblin specifically?  There used to be issues with area kill orders, and probably still are, where your soldiers will attack anything not specifically part of your fortress (including friendly dwarves from caravans!).  As for healing them, do you have a hospital set up?

Anyway, question of my own: what the heck can I do to keep royal jelly from gumming up my jugs and forcing me to make more to get honey?  Is there any way to dump the jelly from the jugs, do I have to cook it, or what?  This is in .31.25 actually, but I assume the same principles apply in .34.x.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 19, 2012, 04:41:13 pm »

How do I get my layabout lumberjack to snatch to damn axe from this guy and do his job?

Assigning a different weapon to your militia commander works definitely, but he'll have to wrestle afterwards. I'm not sure if he'll just drop it if you put him off duty. Your best bet is probably to make a wooden training axe at a Carpenter's workshop and use that for tree killing.

Uh... how the hell do I assign someone a different weapon???  These menus are making me cross-eyed :(  I hit 'm', 'e', 'W'... and then ????  I can't make sense out of it.  Enter on 'specific weapon', then there's a list of like 15 weapons including the copper battle axe that I don't want him to use, but when I hit enter on it, it vanishes and he's still using it.  So confused :(

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 19, 2012, 05:01:03 pm »

Uh... how the hell do I assign someone a different weapon???  These menus are making me cross-eyed :(  I hit 'm', 'e', 'W'... and then ????  I can't make sense out of it.  Enter on 'specific weapon', then there's a list of like 15 weapons including the copper battle axe that I don't want him to use, but when I hit enter on it, it vanishes and he's still using it.  So confused :(

What you're doing is assigning him the weapon with that menu.  Since he's already assigned the weapon, you're not seeing any change.

To deassign a weapon, use the arrow keys to move to the right until you're highlighting parts of the equipment (the third, rightmost column).  Use the up and down arrow keys to change which piece of equipment is highlighted.  When you get to the one you want to de-equip, hit enter, and the item will disappear from the list.

Now, assign him a different weapon, maybe a specific weapon (not the weapon you just deassigned!).
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 19, 2012, 05:15:26 pm »

What you're doing is assigning him the weapon with that menu.  Since he's already assigned the weapon, you're not seeing any change.

To deassign a weapon, use the arrow keys to move to the right until you're highlighting parts of the equipment (the third, rightmost column).  Use the up and down arrow keys to change which piece of equipment is highlighted.  When you get to the one you want to de-equip, hit enter, and the item will disappear from the list.

Now, assign him a different weapon, maybe a specific weapon (not the weapon you just deassigned!).
Hmmm I figured that much out, but the battleaxe ended up laying in a farmplot, unused.  Meanwhile, the woodcutter sits around with a thumb firmly planted up his ass.  Woodcutting is the only labor assigned to him.  I even went as far as putting him in my militia, assigning the axe to him, and he still refused to chop the trees I have designated.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 19, 2012, 05:21:27 pm »

Ugh I give up... after assigning this woodcutter the battleaxe and still not seeing it in his inventory, I located the battleaxe and it ended up in the possession of my carpenter!!!

Christ... think I'll wait for a version with cleaned up, more user friendly menus :(

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 19, 2012, 05:54:00 pm »

how did you assign it to the woodcutter? woodcutters have an invisible uniform that conflicts with the militairy, causing them to do nothing. Same goes for miners btw.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 19, 2012, 07:40:54 pm »

Christ... think I'll wait for a version with cleaned up, more user friendly menus :(
Ha ha ha. Dwarf Fortress laughs at your "friendly".

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 19, 2012, 07:43:17 pm »

how did you assign it to the woodcutter? woodcutters have an invisible uniform that conflicts with the militairy, causing them to do nothing. Same goes for miners btw.
Wait, what?  Well, I assigned the axe to my woodcutter via the military menu.  I have no idea how to assign items to dwarves otherwise.

And as far as this invisible uniform thing goes, I'm clueless...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 19, 2012, 07:45:20 pm »

Wait, what?  Well, I assigned the axe to my woodcutter via the military menu.  I have no idea how to assign items to dwarves otherwise.

And as far as this invisible uniform thing goes, I'm clueless...
If you go into the labors menu and turn on woodcutting, the dwarf should just pick up an available axe. Don't touch the military, that has nothing to do with woodcutting.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 422