Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882451 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #705 on: March 19, 2012, 12:54:39 am »

What's the best way to get to the magma? I normally have a bit of trouble getting to the magma sea, and I get the feeling that setting up 150 levels of an up/down staircase is a terrible idea. That said, my normal plan of digging out an up stair, flat space, and a down stair seems a bit too inefficient and time-consuming to designate.

How do you go about it?

150 levels of up/down staircases :)  With some zig-zagging when something gets in the way.  Nothing gets that far down the fort anyways-- or if it does, the fort's already toast.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 19, 2012, 01:05:10 am »

So my ghostly diplomat just turned into a ghostly were rhino.... i suppose my first reaction thinking it was a werecreature was right, am i in for some !FUN!@?
Edit: very anticlimactic.
Question: How do i slab someone? I have built a slab but it only seems to let me create a sculpture garden.

build slab at mason workshop, engrave it at a craftworkshop with a dwarf with engraving labor enabled

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
Re: Getting to the magma.
« Reply #707 on: March 19, 2012, 01:08:08 am »

What's the best way to get to the magma? I normally have a bit of trouble getting to the magma sea, and I get the feeling that setting up 150 levels of an up/down staircase is a terrible idea. That said, my normal plan of digging out an up stair, flat space, and a down stair seems a bit too inefficient and time-consuming to designate.

How do you go about it?

Pretty simple: i just build on a volcano. Pump stacks are a pain

in

the

ass

Kento

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and magma accessories.
    • View Profile
    • Uglorable
« Reply #708 on: March 19, 2012, 01:55:57 am »

I've got a number of undead dwarves stuck in cages, many of them magma safe. They don't show up on my pitting list, how do I get rid of them?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 19, 2012, 02:33:11 am »

I've got a number of undead dwarves stuck in cages, many of them magma safe. They don't show up on my pitting list, how do I get rid of them?

You can try to put them on restraints (not recommended).  You can build the cages and attach them to a lever.  You can dump the cages in magma and see what happens.  You can designate the cages for trade to caravans and station a squad at your animal stockpile.

But really, can't pit them?  Mine are showing up on my pitting list just fine.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 19, 2012, 02:48:36 am »

I couldn't get undead out of cages, either.  I ended up just making a zoo with the ruined cages.  Didn't last long, the Tower sworm got me soon after, never did get him out... Even after I setup a little rope, for him to come out of the cage on.  He still didn't make an appearance.  Curious about this too.  One of the monsters I couldn't get out of a cage was a Dwarf Necromancer.  Pen activity zones didn't show him.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 19, 2012, 07:42:54 am »

you can still setup the cage and pull a lever on it, right?

Kento

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and magma accessories.
    • View Profile
    • Uglorable
« Reply #712 on: March 19, 2012, 07:45:51 am »

I can, but it's somewhat more tedious than what I want to deal with, considering the number of undead dwarves that are coming to my fortress.

The idea of selling undead dwarves is appealing though. I can make a special stockpile near my depot. I only wonder what the elves will choose to do with them.

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 19, 2012, 09:19:32 am »

Can I set the game to announce when there's anything caught in one of my traps,
like it announces when ambushing goblins get caught?

I checked announcements.txt but there are only options for animal traps, not cage traps.

Some unicorns stumbled in my cage traps who knows when, but I only noticed it by accident much later.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 19, 2012, 09:35:50 am »

My hunter ran out of bolts.  I made more.  Now he refuses to go out and hunt.  It's the only profession he has active currently.  As for wildlife in the area, there's currently:  Hamster Man x2 and Hamster Women x 3.  Is it impossible to hunt these guys or something?  Can I force my squad to kill them?  If so, can we dine on their corpses? :D

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #715 on: March 19, 2012, 09:39:50 am »

They're intelligent, so you won't be able to butcher them.  Although your Hunter normally doesn't care about little things like whether the creatures he's hunting can be butchered, so there might be some other reason he's not hunting.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 19, 2012, 09:43:07 am »

My hunter ran out of bolts.  I made more.  Now he refuses to go out and hunt.  It's the only profession he has active currently.  As for wildlife in the area, there's currently:  Hamster Man x2 and Hamster Women x 3.  Is it impossible to hunt these guys or something?  Can I force my squad to kill them?  If so, can we dine on their corpses? :D

To force the hunter to re-equip, try disabling his Hunter labor, waiting a second, then re-enabling it.

You can give a military squad a kill order (or just station them near the animal men), and they'll generally have no problem dispatching the creatures.  But if they count as intelligent (I'm not sure whether they do or not), then your dwarves won't eat them, unless you modded them.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 19, 2012, 09:45:35 am »

can't eat sentients

there was a bug about bolts not getting destroyed after shooting and the marksdwarf not trying to get new bolts as long as one of the stack he used before was still intact. I didn't really understand it.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 19, 2012, 09:51:49 am »

To force the hunter to re-equip, try disabling his Hunter labor, waiting a second, then re-enabling it.

You can give a military squad a kill order (or just station them near the animal men), and they'll generally have no problem dispatching the creatures.  But if they count as intelligent (I'm not sure whether they do or not), then your dwarves won't eat them, unless you modded them.
That seems to have worked.  Also, how can I find exactly the item I'm looking for?  I have a ton of bolts but I can't find them anywhere.

Also, I have nest boxes but my ducks/ chickens never use them, instead, they hang out in my dining room.  It used to be a meeting area including animals, but I've since removed that zone.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 19, 2012, 10:01:17 am »

(i) (n) to make pastures and assign them there with N

they will now use the nest boxes in the pastures, and pets will go there by themself when they feel the need.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 422