Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882446 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #690 on: March 18, 2012, 08:35:16 am »

Assigning a bedroom TO a dwarf is used for nobles.  You want to give a good bedroom to your mayor and your baron and your captain of the guard, so you assign those ones manually.  The peasant quarters, you just let the dwarves claim on their own.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cleaning floor
« Reply #691 on: March 18, 2012, 10:26:02 am »

Is it possible to somehow clean "inside" "above ground" floor (blood is on it) and remove corpse off that floor (dump item doesn't work)?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 18, 2012, 10:44:27 am »

If dump isn't working, then you probably forgot to enable "collect refuse from outside" o r o
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 18, 2012, 10:49:22 am »

If dump isn't working, then you probably forgot to enable "collect refuse from outside" o r o
Thanks, it helps. Any idea about cleaning that floor (I have free buckets and soap and well and idlers)?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 18, 2012, 10:55:00 am »

Above ground floors will not be cleaned AFAIK. Rain will wash the blood away if it rains on your map.

I think you could remove the blood by building a wall or a floor on the space that you want to clean and removing it afterwards. No guarantees though!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 18, 2012, 11:21:54 am »

Above ground floors will not be cleaned AFAIK. Rain will wash the blood away if it rains on your map.
It rains, but not under roof
I think you could remove the blood by building a wall or a floor on the space that you want to clean and removing it afterwards. No guarantees though!
Thanks for info, but it won't work for blood covered pressure plate (building present).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 18, 2012, 12:10:46 pm »

Thanks for the advice.  And yeah, I've been assigning rooms manually :(  Why is that option even there if it's unnecessary?  Also, how do you set your population cap?

Nobles want better rooms and you need to tell the other dwarfs that 'no, you can't have this one, these rooms are for the baron, yes, I know they are nicer than yours, which is why they are for the baron.' And then tell the baron to leave his old grimy room and live in these new quarters.

pop cap: in your df folder: data - init and then either init or init_d, forgot which one.

I cheat in cleaning blood like that with dfhack
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 18, 2012, 06:56:02 pm »

I'm playing 34.04 and have just had a large migrant wave.

One of my migrants has 469 kills, including a dusk bride and some insert-creature-name-here-men.  They're wearing a lot of insert-creature-name-here-men jewellery.  And they don't show up in Therapist.

Obviously I'm assuming they're a vampire.  :P  One odd thing I noticed is that in the Wnd display, all of their limbs and organs appear yellow - everyone else's are white - despite no injuries being apparent.  Is this a known way to identify vampires, or just something odd?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 18, 2012, 06:59:08 pm »

Vampire most likely yes.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 18, 2012, 07:01:24 pm »

Vampire most likely yes.

Wait a second...she just got thirsty.  No, I mean, actually thirsty, for booze/water, not blood.

Hmm.  Okay.  So not a vampire.  Wonder what the hell's up with her, then.  Vampires don't get thirsty, right?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 18, 2012, 07:19:37 pm »

Vampires donīt drink booze and water, usually. After a while they start working slower and their thoughts say something like "starts working slower because of the lack of alcohol" even though your stockpiles are stuffed with it.

Then again I had guys I was sure about being a vampire because of that behavior who suddenly died of thirst. Maybe their curse was suddenly lifted and they died of dehydration right away.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 18, 2012, 07:28:49 pm »

I think it was mentioned vampires still thirsted for booze, maybe an effort to blend in. Keep an eye open anyway.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 18, 2012, 11:42:38 pm »

Really wish there was a topic on the wiki or on here regarding night creatures.

In adventurer mode, I played as a vampire recently, and it was great fun. However, how do I become the other night creatures? Becoming a werebeast seems like a chore; do you have to get bit by them in order to become one of them? What's the easiest way to become a werebeast? Also how do you become a husk? Thanks in advance.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 18, 2012, 11:59:03 pm »

So my ghostly diplomat just turned into a ghostly were rhino.... i suppose my first reaction thinking it was a werecreature was right, am i in for some !FUN!@?
Edit: very anticlimactic.
Question: How do i slab someone? I have built a slab but it only seems to let me create a sculpture garden.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:19:10 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
Getting to the magma.
« Reply #704 on: March 19, 2012, 12:43:13 am »

What's the best way to get to the magma? I normally have a bit of trouble getting to the magma sea, and I get the feeling that setting up 150 levels of an up/down staircase is a terrible idea. That said, my normal plan of digging out an up stair, flat space, and a down stair seems a bit too inefficient and time-consuming to designate.

How do you go about it?
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 422