Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882483 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #630 on: March 15, 2012, 01:28:15 am »

Does any advantage exist for a chain compared to a pen zone? Seems mile the latter is superior in anyway? In older version sometime animals moved from their pen zone, not so anymore, so basically this is like chaining, except you don't need a rope and can revoke (and thus free) the animal from a distance, which is quite handy.

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 15, 2012, 02:56:37 am »

Is there anything I can do to stop dorfs from filling up their own coffins with zombie corpses, when Tower is my neighbor?  Hoping something can be done, normal dorf corpses are not making it into the graves.  Will keep the fort, but won't embark until I find a tip.  Thanks, Knutor

Build coffins but don't make them available for burial. Instead make rooms (tombs) out of them and
assign them to each dorf specificaly. That way the coffins are reserved for those dorfs no matter what.

I do this the moment any immigrants arrive. I assign them coffins before I assign them rooms.

BTW Are your dorfs burying your own zombified dorfs or undead goblin arms and legs?

Does any advantage exist for a chain compared to a pen zone? Seems mile the latter is superior in anyway? In older version sometime animals moved from their pen zone, not so anymore, so basically this is like chaining, except you don't need a rope and can revoke (and thus free) the animal from a distance, which is quite handy.

If an enemy spooks the pastured animal, it will ignore the pasture. Your legendary armoursmith may
hear an animal is out of the pasture and quickly run to return it to the pasture, right toward the ambush or worse.

An alternative is to wall in the pasture. or let the animals feed on cave moss and fungi deep underground.

Nibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 15, 2012, 05:46:54 am »

I caught two vampires, and I've decided to try turning my 150-dwarf fortress into a vampire colony by contaminating the well water. If all my dwarves are vampires, will they get negative thoughts or become sluggish because they don't have any blood to drink, similar to normal dwarves without alcohol?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 15, 2012, 05:51:09 am »

I locked a vampire dwarf in his bedroom for years and he never had a bad thought related to no food or drink.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 15, 2012, 12:34:21 pm »

how do ramps work in terms of rampways in place of stairways? I tried to make several, none of which are working:

Code: (Rampway #1:) [Select]
< - Down Ramp
> - Up Ramp
X - Wall
Z-0
<>>>>
<XXX>
<XXX>
<XXX>
<<<<>
Z-1
><<<<
>XXX<
>XXX<
>XXX<
>>>><
Code: (Ramp #2:) [Select]
Z-0
<<>
<X>
<>>
Z-1
>><
>X<
><<

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 15, 2012, 04:43:56 pm »

I don't really understand what your question is. A ramp is a ramp, sloping ground.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 15, 2012, 05:10:38 pm »

how do ramps work in terms of rampways in place of stairways? I tried to make several, none of which are working:

Ramps need a wall next to them and a floor on top of that wall.

This works:

Code: [Select]

# _
 _/#

This does not:

# _
 #\_

Does that answer your question?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 15, 2012, 05:38:56 pm »

I'm unsure how I can have my military dwarves without a station/kill order without them 'reverting to <insert civilian job>' messages... and they switch also to the icon of their previous job. I want them to retain the icon of the military they are in. How can I do that?

They also only train if without a station/kill order, so I need to do that from time to time it seems, so they can train.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 15, 2012, 05:50:12 pm »

Ramps need a wall next to them and a floor on top of that wall.

This works:

# _
 _/#

This does not:

# _
 #\_

Does that answer your question?
Yes, thank you!

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 15, 2012, 06:02:23 pm »

What exactly happens if, lets say for example, I need a rock throne, but I have no stone workers available to make one, so I just grab a random no talent dwarf and set him to work?  Will it be of poor quality, will he waste materials, will it be built slowly?  What happens?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #640 on: March 15, 2012, 06:05:44 pm »

The rock throne will be built slowly, and be of poor quality, but it will be built.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 15, 2012, 06:33:58 pm »

A} What's the difference between the merchants selling:

1}    -<< bronze buckler >>-

2}    +<<+ bronze buckler +>>+

I'm uncertain how to even search for such symbols in the forums.

B}   Is there some place which provides a key or explanation to these symbols?

C}   Why are the merchants able to sell items with multiple symbols when our dwarves creating items\weapons\furniture can only provide one symbol?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #642 on: March 15, 2012, 06:40:56 pm »

Quality levels and decorations.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Item_quality

Your dwarves can produce items with multiple symbols, by encrusting or otherwise decorating them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 15, 2012, 06:44:02 pm »

A} What's the difference between the merchants selling:

1}    -<< bronze buckler >>-

2}    +<<+ bronze buckler +>>+

I'm uncertain how to even search for such symbols in the forums.

B}   Is there some place which provides a key or explanation to these symbols?

C}   Why are the merchants able to sell items with multiple symbols when our dwarves creating items\weapons\furniture can only provide one symbol?

The << >> indicate that the item is decorated. So -<<bronze buckler>>- indicates a bronze buckler with - quality decoration, and a +<<+bronze buckler+>>+ indicates a +bronze buckler+ with + quality decorations. You can view what specifically they are decorated with by viewing the item itself. Decorations make the item much more valuable, if not any more useful. This page is for an older version of DF, and explains the numbers in detail if you are interested- I'm fairly certain the general formula is the same, although the value of individual material multipliers is different in some cases.

You can decorate your items at a forge, craftdwarfs shop, jeweler, or clothier depending on whether you want it to be decorated in metal, bone, jewels, or cloth, respectively. You can decorate multiple times per category, but not multiple times per material (so you can encrust something with a diamond and a ruby, but not 2 rubies, for example.) AFAIK cloth embroidery only works on cloth items like bags and clothing.

EDIT: NINJA!

DifferentFrogs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 15, 2012, 07:34:50 pm »

Hi everyone, I have another question - let me just say thanks in advance for the awesome community that responds to desperate pleas like mine. You guys really are awesome, and I would have given up on the game long ago if it weren't for the quick responses on these forums.

My first problem is that I can't get my farms to work. I have 3 dwarves set to farm, and they appear to have plowed most of my plots. I have also made certain that plump helmets are set to be planted in all seasons. But for some reason no planting is occurring, and I received the following message:

"Deruk Onulablel, Fish Cleaner cancels Plant Seeds: Needs plump helmet spawn."

I have plump helmet seeds in my stockpile, and I haven't used any yet as I'm just starting out. Does anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: Just found a video tutorial; apparently if a plot is hoed that means stuff has been planted. My next question would be how do I tell if those hoed plots are actually producing anything? Will I see plants start to grow?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:43:46 pm by DifferentFrogs »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 422