Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882505 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #615 on: March 13, 2012, 06:30:20 am »

will do... so a bug?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 13, 2012, 08:27:42 am »

You can make everyone off-duty soldiers and keep their uniforms on always. They'll effectively be civilians in gear.

Yup.  This is a great thing to do.

They'll train sometimes when they're bored, and won't drop it to do whatever you want them to. If they aren't trained soldiers though, they won't do it much.

They only train if you assign their squad to a barracks.  If you don't assign them to a barracks, they'll just grab their equipment and then wear it while they do their civilian jobs.  There really is no drawback other than the time spent getting equipment and then storing their clothing in their bedroom, if they had to remove any to wear their uniform.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for miners, woodcutters, or hunters.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 13, 2012, 08:55:48 am »

They only train if you assign their squad to a barracks.  If you don't assign them to a barracks, they'll just grab their equipment and then wear it while they do their civilian jobs.  There really is no drawback other than the time spent getting equipment and then storing their clothing in their bedroom, if they had to remove any to wear their uniform.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for miners, woodcutters, or hunters.
My bad, I don't have much experience with this trick :>

Do uniforms not work at all for miners etc, or does a no-weapon one work?

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 13, 2012, 01:57:59 pm »

Is there any way to find out the seed of a world after it has been made using "create a new world"? I messed up my embark to a spot, and I need to find a way to regen the world...

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 13, 2012, 02:51:16 pm »

Can animals detect/prevent/(report?) the dry sucking of your legendary+5 weaponsmith if they're next to the bed?

No.  (Although testing probably needs to be done with pet tigermen.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 13, 2012, 03:20:10 pm »

Is there any way to find out the seed of a world after it has been made using "create a new world"? I messed up my embark to a spot, and I need to find a way to regen the world...

In fortress mode, hit ESC, choose Export Local Image and see the text files generated in your DF folder. In legends mode just hit p.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 14, 2012, 12:04:39 pm »

Is anyone else having a lot of trouble with the cave-in method of getting past aquifers not working bug?

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 14, 2012, 06:36:52 pm »

Yes the layers i drop in to it are never enough.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

DifferentFrogs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 14, 2012, 07:50:54 pm »

Hi everyone. Complete noob here, starting to build my very first first fortress!

In this fortress, I wish to place stairs. This isn't working. What I have so far:

And the level below looks like this:

Unfortunately, my miner refuses to dig out the rooms on the lower level. Can anyone tell me why? (even video tutorials haven't helped me here!)

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 14, 2012, 07:54:32 pm »

You need to designate either up stairs, or up/down stairs, directly below your down stairs.

DifferentFrogs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 14, 2012, 08:07:23 pm »

You need to designate either up stairs, or up/down stairs, directly below your down stairs.

That has worked! Thanks!

DifferentFrogs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 14, 2012, 08:19:27 pm »

Alright, another brief question.

I'm using the Phoebus graphics pack, but can't find a legend for what the various symbols mean. Can anyone point me in the right direction? (A forum/wiki search failed to return anything)

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 14, 2012, 08:44:22 pm »

I'm using the Phoebus graphics pack, but can't find a legend for what the various symbols mean. Can anyone point me in the right direction? (A forum/wiki search failed to return anything)

If you press 'k', then move the cursor over the symbol, it will tell you what it is. 

There is also some info here about the symbols for rocks and plants:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57557.0

If you keep playing the game, you will learn what the symbols and commands are over time.  It took until my 4th fort to work out how to change z-levels, but I now know what all the symbols are, and a lot of the commands.

DifferentFrogs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 14, 2012, 09:30:32 pm »

@el Indio:

Thanks very much! I didn't realize the K-command did that; my problems are now solved (for the moment anyway - I'm sure new issues will come up shortly!)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 14, 2012, 10:18:18 pm »

Is there anything I can do to stop dorfs from filling up their own coffins with zombie corpses, when Tower is my neighbor?  Hoping something can be done, normal dorf corpses are not making it into the graves.  Will keep the fort, but won't embark until I find a tip.  Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 422