Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882509 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #585 on: March 12, 2012, 08:09:59 am »

Wild creatures won't claim nest boxes.  I don't know if tame-yet-hostile creatures will.  You should test that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 12, 2012, 08:11:55 am »

Shall do if I have any dwarves left. I had no military and even baby rutherer's are surprisingly strong!

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 12, 2012, 08:38:10 am »

Another failure - they don't even lay eggs. Alas. Enemy mounts are official useless bar meat and spores if you only have a female I guess.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 12, 2012, 08:41:01 am »

So which personality traits are beneficial for a CMD to have (having picked up on the fact that personality is probably more important than actual skill for that role!)

I'm assuming liking to help people is a good one, as well as "often does the first thing that comes to mind" or something like that, to make them respond faster?  I've just got a couple of big migrant waves (individually scanned for hints of vampirism!), so now's the ideal time for me to start filtering by personality types...
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 12, 2012, 09:17:52 am »

The "likes to help others" is also useful for feeding injured and prisoned dwarves. Then you get "was happy that he could give somebody water". While on the contrary if your dwarf is not helpful heŽll get a thought like "was irritated by having to feed somebody".

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 12, 2012, 09:38:31 am »

I'm thinking about designing my flood trap, couple questions

Can a bridge be used to cut off a water supply - ie will it cut through water already on the tile? Like instead of using 20 floodgates..

About how much water is required to equal the pressure a pump exerts? I'm wondering whether to go with a reservoir above the trap, or to pump it in.

Oh and can I dump an entire reservoir at once onto goblins or will my FPS get murdered horribly?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:44:25 am by Yaotzin »

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 12, 2012, 09:58:00 am »

Can civilians be armoured and even armed all the time, does a trick exists on that?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 12, 2012, 09:59:21 am »

Depends how you define civilian.

You can make everyone off-duty soldiers and keep their uniforms on always. They'll effectively be civilians in gear.

If you mean without being in a squad, then not without modding.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 12, 2012, 10:09:10 am »

In a squad would do... Any adverse effect on that, except the initial morale penalty for a civilian to be versed in the military? That seems a win-win for me...

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 12, 2012, 10:13:44 am »

They'll train sometimes when they're bored, and won't drop it to do whatever you want them to. If they aren't trained soldiers though, they won't do it much.

Oh and you'd need to do something different for miners/hunters/woodcutters due to the uniform conflict issue. I *think* you can assign a uniform that has no conflicting items (weapon, quiver) and it'll work, but I'm not sure on that.

Oh I guess they'll also run into danger instead of away. Dunno if that counts as a negative or not :p

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #595 on: March 12, 2012, 11:10:41 am »

Can a bridge be used to cut off a water supply - ie will it cut through water already on the tile? Like instead of using 20 floodgates..

Yes, a raising drawbridge will destroy water on the tiles that become a wall when the bridge raises,and a raised bridge will block water like a floodgate.

About how much water is required to equal the pressure a pump exerts? I'm wondering whether to go with a reservoir above the trap, or to pump it in.

Invalid analogy.  Pumps transport water from their input tile to their output tile.  The rate at which the pump transports water tends to be limited by how quickly water can flow into the input, so a pump-fed water trap's performance will be limited by whatever is supplying water to the pump inlet.  A gravity-fed trap can dump all of its water into the trap very quickly if properly designed.

[/quote]
Oh and can I dump an entire reservoir at once onto goblins or will my FPS get murdered horribly?
[/quote]

Yes to both.  In my experience the FPS drop is worth seeing the goblins washed away helplessly.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 12, 2012, 11:40:51 am »

The great flood it is  8)

How about drainage, is there an FPS caring approved method? I have an aquifer and a river so plenty of options.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 12, 2012, 12:20:25 pm »

What is  the role of the Militia Commander really? Is it like the first Militia Captain? Any specific? Can I appoint Militia Commander a dorf who will not ends up in a squad? The wiki has only 3 lines on his role, so Militia Commander seems a rather superfluous role right now? Or perhaps I can create him a war room where I can lay invasion plans of nearby nations, muhahahahaha?  :P

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 12, 2012, 12:54:34 pm »

What is  the role of the Militia Commander really? Is it like the first Militia Captain? Any specific? Can I appoint Militia Commander a dorf who will not ends up in a squad? The wiki has only 3 lines on his role, so Militia Commander seems a rather superfluous role right now? Or perhaps I can create him a war room where I can lay invasion plans of nearby nations, muhahahahaha?  :P

The Militia Commander is functionally the Captain of your first militia squad; the only difference is that he is required to appoint any militia captains.

If your Commander dies he will need to be replaced before any new militia squads are created. It's easy enough to appoint (or promote) a replacement into the role if needed, so you don't need to worry too much about his safety; obviously it's more thematically appropriate to have your Commander be the best fighter in the fortress, but he could be a Dabbling Lye Maker for all it matters right now.

In the future we may see some fleshing out of the Military Tactics skill and expansion of the militia's role, but until then he's just the top captain.

Morhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 12, 2012, 01:34:40 pm »

How to find region with open magma vent for embark?
This day going to be perfect!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 422