Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882530 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #570 on: March 11, 2012, 05:05:52 pm »

OK so I made a cage trap, and forbade every cage I have except my steel artifact one. It seems you can't put artifact cages in traps though - I just get the "no cage available" job cancel.

So. Any ideas for getting a bronze colossus into this cage? If I try and transfer them when they're next to each other is there a chance it'll work?

eta: Nevermind. I built the artifact cage next to him, then deconstructed the wood cage the collo was in, and he magically appeared in the artifact cage. Yippee, best zoo ever coming up.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:09:13 pm by Yaotzin »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 11, 2012, 05:07:54 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, that used to work, can't say if it still does.  (Interesting that you can't use artifact cages though-- I believe you used to be able to.)

If I were you, I'd make a small walled off area with an expendable animal cager to try it out-- if it doesn't work, you can always retrap the colossus.

And let us know how it turns out!

BTW, if I caught a bronze colossus, I would probably use it as a marksdwarf training device and/or a goblin arrow catcher.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 11, 2012, 05:10:03 pm »

Is he completely immune to arrows? I wouldn't want to kill him by mistake!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 11, 2012, 05:16:21 pm »

The one that I had in v31 was.  If you wanted to be sure, you could switch to arena mode really quick, build yourself a pillbox and place a colossus.

EDIT: 700 steel bolts from GM archer/marksdwarf: if they're not arrowproof, they're pretty close.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:32:25 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 11, 2012, 05:26:23 pm »

I don't mean the CMD actually doing the "diagnose patient" job, I mean him handing out jobs. Like if I have 5 doctors - one of them my CMD -  and 5 injured dorfs, then the CMD goes to diagnose one of them while the others do nothing.

OTOH if I make my CMD not have any doctor skills on, then all my other doctors will get assigned work and things go fine.

In the latter scenario, what does diagnosis skill actually do?
As far as I know, the CMD doesn't do anything any other dwarf can't do except diagnose patients.
The CMD diagnoses, then a dwarf with a relevent medical labor will work on it. I'm uncertain if a patient can be worked on without a diagnosis from the CMD, but I've never seen it happen.

So you would probably want a CMD without medical labors activated, so they diagnose all patients one after another instead of diagnosing one, fixing him up, them moving to the next one.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 11, 2012, 05:36:44 pm »

Got it. So a dwarf with good personality traits, and zero labors activated for the perfect CMD.

Why don't my dorfs like my zoo :(

Do zoos only make the dorf happy if he likes the creature inside?

And does anyone like megabeasts?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:04:40 pm by Yaotzin »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 11, 2012, 06:20:59 pm »

To the best of my knowledge, the chief medical dwarf does not dole out medical labors, and he does not have to be the first responder to diagnose a patient.  I believe his relationship to the medical profession is more like that of the captain of the guard to justice -- having one enables an option on the "Z" screen to view reports, but other dwarves with appropriate roles/labors can do the actual work.

Granted, I haven't done Science! on this.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 12, 2012, 01:19:56 am »

My doctors have completely forgotten about one of my dorfs. He still needs 2 bandages done, but they refuse to acknowledge his existence. I've tried building a bed on him, designating his square a hospital, nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 12, 2012, 01:23:11 am »

My doctors have completely forgotten about one of my dorfs. He still needs 2 bandages done, but they refuse to acknowledge his existence. I've tried building a bed on him, designating his square a hospital, nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Are the jobs pending, and the dwarf unconscious from wounds or are there just untreated wounds on a otherwise mobile dwarf?  Dwarves who are conscious don't always go to the doctor on their own.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 12, 2012, 01:29:10 am »

Any ideas?

Are the jobs pending, and the dwarf unconscious from wounds or are there just untreated wounds on a otherwise mobile dwarf?  Dwarves who are conscious don't always go to the doctor on their own.
No jobs pending, and many dwarves treated since. He's been sitting there for quite a while. He's unconscious (just resting), but no one is interested either in treating him or moving him 5 tiles to my main hospital :( He was originally brought to rest and has been there ever since. I probably removed that hospital zone sometime after which I'm guessing is what bugged him out.

Other question - I captured lots of crocodiles and elk birds and stuff from a siege, is there any way to breed some non-hostile offspring out of them?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:31:59 am by Yaotzin »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 12, 2012, 01:32:52 am »

Other question - I captured lots of crocodiles and elk birds and stuff from a siege, is there any way to breed some non-hostile offspring out of them?
No, non-tame animals will have wild children.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 12, 2012, 01:43:50 am »

I can tame them though, they just stay hostile because they were part of the siege. Would their children still be hostile, then?

ETA: I finally "woke up" my dorfs to the guys existence by attempting to channel the floor out from him.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:17:31 am by Yaotzin »

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Furniture
« Reply #582 on: March 12, 2012, 06:14:47 am »

Do several dwarves in barracks use one weapon rack/armor stand/chest/cabinet (and how many dwarves is one piece of such furniture enough for)? Or does each dwarf need his own one?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:52:51 am by Drecker »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #583 on: March 12, 2012, 07:52:53 am »

I can tame them though, they just stay hostile because they were part of the siege. Would their children still be hostile, then?

In theory, their children should merely be 'wild' and therefore tameable.  I haven't tested this in the latest version.  You should try it and let us know how it works now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 12, 2012, 08:06:51 am »

One of the rutherer's I caught managed to have babies inside her cage, so I'm testing on her children.

Test is sadly a failure, they are making my dwarves run away.

Will making a little area with nest boxes and releasing the crocs in them, result in some baby crocs to test with?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 422