Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882547 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #555 on: March 11, 2012, 02:56:16 am »

I know this is almost certainly something I'm doing, like typing something by accident.

Every once in a while, I am unable to change z-levels or reach the z status screen. z doesn't do anything, nor does shift-. , but shift-, opens a "moving records" menu. What's making this happen, and is there anything I can do to make it work the way I want it to again without quitting the program?
I don't know what's causing ytour problem, but My kepboard won't let me use F1 etc so i set the keybindings to use control+1 etc as the f keys, you could do the same for stairs as a quickj fix.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 11, 2012, 06:56:58 am »

I know this is almost certainly something I'm doing, like typing something by accident.

Every once in a while, I am unable to change z-levels or reach the z status screen. z doesn't do anything, nor does shift-. , but shift-, opens a "moving records" menu. What's making this happen, and is there anything I can do to make it work the way I want it to again without quitting the program?
Maybe you've hit Ctrl-r? That'll start recording a macro. Hitting Ctrl-r again should stop it.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 11, 2012, 08:34:41 am »

My first guess s it's the recording menu, which appears when you type ';'

This allows you to record the game as a movie, which you can play back. If you had accidentally opened the menu once, and hit 'r', before escaping out; and you accidentally go back and hit 'p' it'll look like you're playing the game but you aren't. You're watching a movie. So no buttons work.

I doubt the shft- key you mentions is actually doing anything, it's probably simply that you don't type it until the movie's over and the the moving records menu re-appears.

Regardless, you should still be able to escape out of the moving records menu, when the movie's done playing, and you can tell when you've entered it because there's a red 'rec' in the bottom right corner of your screen.

Nick

Kento

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and magma accessories.
    • View Profile
    • Uglorable
« Reply #558 on: March 11, 2012, 10:29:48 am »

Tried typing both ctrl-r and ; intentionally, I'm not getting the same behavior. Thank you though, both were good ideas.

The game functions normally, it's only accessing the status screen and changing z-levels that I have noticed I haven't been able to access. I haven't tried everything else, but much of the game does still function (I believe I can build, designate, and use the function keys and arrow keys to navigate). I can also save the game successfully, and exit the program.

Next time it happens I'll take better note of what does and doesn't work.

(For clarification, when I say "shift-," and "shift-.", I mean "<" and ">" to change z-levels.)

Edit: I went to build a kitchen, to see if the z didn't work there either, and it chose asher[y]. Then I figured it out, I was activating a qwertz keyboard layout. Not DF related at all!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:14:17 am by Kento »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 11, 2012, 01:40:08 pm »

Is there any way to tell if a critter is bleeding/going to die from his wounds? Any hints, anything?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 11, 2012, 02:20:19 pm »

Is there any way to tell if a critter is bleeding/going to die from his wounds? Any hints, anything?

1) Look at details of wounds (preferences, z): look for wounds that are "oozing urist's blood" or "spurting urist's blood."  That latter is worse than the former.

2) Look for "pale" or "faint" on the wound screen.  Again, the latter is worse than the former.

Some syndromes cause bleeding without any wounds.  If your dwarf catches this syndrome, he's a lost cause anyways.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 11, 2012, 02:54:00 pm »

So a bronze colossus randomly walked into my cage traps - the wiki says I can make a zoo out of it. Does that mean I can make a cage, make a room from it, and dorfs will be happy seeing it?

Also can I transfer him to a more valuable cage safely?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 11, 2012, 03:15:57 pm »

So a bronze colossus randomly walked into my cage traps - the wiki says I can make a zoo out of it. Does that mean I can make a cage, make a room from it, and dorfs will be happy seeing it?

Also can I transfer him to a more valuable cage safely?

You can make a zoo, and then dwarves will see him-- they may or may not be happy about it.

Large creatures like that are difficult to transfer safely.  If you want to transfer, I would be very careful, and do it by building the cage next to another cage trap, letting the colossus walk into the new cage, rather than trying to have any dwarves move him around.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 11, 2012, 03:21:02 pm »

Yeah I figured I couldn't transfer a collossus but I wasn't sure.

What controls if a creature can escape being moved like that?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 11, 2012, 03:31:41 pm »

Size, thief status, possibly (semi-)megabeast status

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 11, 2012, 04:04:43 pm »

Does the diagnosis skill matter for a CMD? What does it do for them?

Can the CMD only assign medical work if he's idle? Can't tell because doing it doesn't seem to count as a job.

Is there any way to make a gypsum powder only stockpile?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 11, 2012, 04:14:55 pm »

Does the diagnosis skill matter for a CMD? What does it do for them?

Can the CMD only assign medical work if he's idle? Can't tell because doing it doesn't seem to count as a job.

Is there any way to make a gypsum powder only stockpile?
Yes, diagnosis helps the CMD diagose what injuries an injured dwarf has.
I believe that diagnosing a patient actually is a job, having the CMD idle should help.
I'm not certain if you can make a stockpile for it, but a hospital will stock it if you build coffers/bags inside and the thread/cloth/soap/etc is stocked already.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 11, 2012, 04:21:23 pm »

I don't mean the CMD actually doing the "diagnose patient" job, I mean him handing out jobs. Like if I have 5 doctors - one of them my CMD -  and 5 injured dorfs, then the CMD goes to diagnose one of them while the others do nothing.

OTOH if I make my CMD not have any doctor skills on, then all my other doctors will get assigned work and things go fine.

In the latter scenario, what does diagnosis skill actually do?

Omg WERE ELEPHANT. After I've been trying to get elephants to spawn in this embark for ages. Figures.

Can't do anything with were creatures but kill and eat them, right?

Oh it was one of my children who turned into a were elephant. That's...really weird shit.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:28:55 pm by Yaotzin »

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Healing cat
« Reply #568 on: March 11, 2012, 04:56:40 pm »

Hi,
I have simply question: Is it possible to somehow heal injured cat?

thanks for answers

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Healing cat
« Reply #569 on: March 11, 2012, 05:04:27 pm »

Hi,
I have simply question: Is it possible to somehow heal injured cat?

thanks for answers
Nope, sorry. The animal caretaker job is supposed to cover injured animals, but it's not implemented yet, beyond the job just being there (it does nothing ATM).
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 422