Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882549 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #540 on: March 10, 2012, 12:05:50 am »

Soooo, how does one get rid of a melancholy vampire?
Give him something tall to jump off of?
It will also try to drowned itself, if there is a water source.
They actually jump off a cliff if you make one? :0

Water doesn't help, vamps can't drown :P

I got lucky and he walked outside as a minotaur attacked, anyway.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 10, 2012, 12:49:52 am »

Every fort I start when it reaches the second migrant wave1 my dwarves stop working, can anyone explain?

Insufficient information.  What status do they have?  Idle, No Job, Resting?  Do you have booze and food?  Are they tantruming, asleep, dead, screaming in agony because their faces are melting off from the toxic rain?

Sorry, no toxic rain plenty of booze / food plenty of BEDS for that matter. (not asleep or dead / tauntruming) They just stand there in the meeting area and every order I specify GETS CANCELED whether through q and then workshop or J M (required nobles selected ofc)
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 10, 2012, 01:16:19 am »

Every fort I start when it reaches the second migrant wave1 my dwarves stop working, can anyone explain?
Insufficient information.  What status do they have?  Idle, No Job, Resting?  Do you have booze and food?  Are they tantruming, asleep, dead, screaming in agony because their faces are melting off from the toxic rain?
Sorry, no toxic rain plenty of booze / food plenty of BEDS for that matter. (not asleep or dead / tauntruming) They just stand there in the meeting area and every order I specify GETS CANCELED whether through q and then workshop or J M (required nobles selected ofc)
Look in [a]nnouncements and see what the cause of the cancellation is.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 10, 2012, 01:19:18 am »

How is it that when you dig into an open cavern, you suddenly get a map of the general expanse of the cave?  Is it because of a dwarf's natural underground intuition?  Just curious.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 10, 2012, 01:21:41 am »

How is it that when you dig into an open cavern, you suddenly get a map of the general expanse of the cave?  Is it because of a dwarf's natural underground intuition?  Just curious.
The miner who broke into the cavern usually sees/reveals most of it immediately. To reveal more, send a dwarf or tamed animal down.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 10, 2012, 01:23:43 am »

I guess it's bacause that's actually how much of thecavern a dwarf can see when you break it open, the visual range of a dwarf is actually rather huge, hence why job cancellation spam from viewing hostile creatures is so annoying.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 10, 2012, 03:49:55 am »

You will get a new liaison next year no matter what.  If this one stays, if you kill him, if he leaves, doesn't matter, DF generates a new liaison from scratch each year.

You'll never get another baron, however.

Here is how I solved the problem with the liaison.
When the baron went insane the game automatically assigned a hauler with highest negotiator skill
as the new expedition leader. I immediately selected my new leader but the liaison wouldn't talk to him
after the baron had died.

Then I went to the nobles screen and left the expedition leader position vacant again, the game
selected that same hauler from before and the liaison happily ran over to him and talked business.

It seems the game remembered the hauler as the second expedition leader and the liaison has to find
new leaders by this order when they are changed, even if they were leaders for a few seconds.

I re-assigned my own leader now, before the liaison has left the map, and I will kill the peasant,
so that hopefuly, next year's liaison will go straight to my new leader.

As for the baron never getting replaced, does this mean I will not be able to have any nobles
which are upgraded from baron now?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 10, 2012, 06:46:38 am »

As for the baron never getting replaced, does this mean I will not be able to have any nobles
which are upgraded from baron now?
Yep.

I can't think of any reason this would be bad though...You'll still have your mayor to talk to angry dorfs and to liaisons, so...

Personally mine decided to go on a 3 year break so I magmafied him. Never noticed any ill effects.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 10, 2012, 07:41:52 am »

If you floor and grate off the entire river inside of your box, and build a roof, nothing can get in, and supposedly, you can still fish through the grates.

Does fishing through grates work?  I'm thinking of setting up a secure fishing zone and I want to be sure it works.

The wiki says:
If your liaison goes without meeting for a long period of time, he or she will leave and you will get a screen informing you "Diplomacy stymied: A diplomat has left unhappy".
This also happens when the expedition leader/mayor is replaced.

I'm wondering how long exactly long is that? I can kill him, but will the replacement arrive next year?

That might take a while.  I've never seen a diplomat leave in a huff, they just follow the mayor around until they can have a meeting.  Most of the time if the mayor insists on ignoring them to carry around rocks, the diplomat will just wait until the mayor goes to sleep, heads to the mayor's room, and wait until he or she wakes up to conduct the meeting.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 10, 2012, 08:29:10 am »

I had a diplomat conduct a meeting in a peasant's quarters where the vampire mayor was feeding.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 10, 2012, 09:27:31 am »

They leave in a huff if you change your mayor while the liaison is trying to talk to him.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 10, 2012, 11:25:38 am »

Any ideas why I can't trade crafts? I have ~10 bins of goblin bone crafts, but neither the crafts nor the bins show up in search at the trade depot.

I was able to trade livestock crafts earlier, so it might be the goblin stuff, but I don't understand why.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 10, 2012, 01:03:15 pm »

Any ideas why I can't trade crafts? I have ~10 bins of goblin bone crafts, but neither the crafts nor the bins show up in search at the trade depot.

See what your nobles have disallowed.  Maybe one of them has a vast and deep love of the material the trade goods are made of, or the kind of trade good, or perhaps the material of the bin.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 10, 2012, 07:44:15 pm »

Best guess?

They're all assigned a burrow which only includes the meeting hall, and they can't do any actual work that would require them leaving the meeting hall. Possibly you set a military alert, and forgot to unset.

But that's only a guess, because I don't know the exact text of the job cancellation.

Nick

Kento

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and magma accessories.
    • View Profile
    • Uglorable
« Reply #554 on: March 11, 2012, 02:19:02 am »

I know this is almost certainly something I'm doing, like typing something by accident.

Every once in a while, I am unable to change z-levels or reach the z status screen. z doesn't do anything, nor does shift-. , but shift-, opens a "moving records" menu. What's making this happen, and is there anything I can do to make it work the way I want it to again without quitting the program?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 422