Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882551 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #525 on: March 09, 2012, 02:58:03 pm »

I don't think the value of the happy thought scales with the actual value, so once you hit Royal you're good. That said, if you tailor the room to the assigned dwarf (putting things he likes in, or statues of things he likes) then they'll get additional happy thoughts when they see those items.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 09, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »

Not to be rude but I searched a bit and noone replied to my previous post. (Unless I'm blind again)

Every fort I start when it reaches the second migrant wave1 my dwarves stop working, can anyone explain?

(usually mayor isn't elected at that wave for me ie no 20 pop)1

"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 09, 2012, 05:32:14 pm »

When my legendary swordmasters are fighting an enemy. their weapon usually becomes forbidden. I think its because they stab them enemy and they die before they unstuck their sword, so it becomes forbidden as a death item. So when your dwarfs go off duty and drop their weapon, it never gets picked up or put away in the armory stockpile. But as long as the sword master never go off duty, they continue to use the sword indefinitely.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #528 on: March 09, 2012, 05:44:26 pm »

Every fort I start when it reaches the second migrant wave1 my dwarves stop working, can anyone explain?

Insufficient information.  What status do they have?  Idle, No Job, Resting?  Do you have booze and food?  Are they tantruming, asleep, dead, screaming in agony because their faces are melting off from the toxic rain?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 09, 2012, 06:39:28 pm »

Another noob question.  Do dwarves go and take items that they want? If a clothier makes something better than what they currently own, will they grab it off the stockpile of their own volition?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 09, 2012, 07:13:14 pm »

When my legendary swordmasters are fighting an enemy. their weapon usually becomes forbidden. I think its because they stab them enemy and they die before they unstuck their sword, so it becomes forbidden as a death item.

Yeah.  Also happens with spears and axes.  Any time the dwarf gets the weapon stuck in the enemy and twists it around, you'll get it forbidden.

You can unforbid it from the dwarf's inventory or through the stocks screen, but I don't know of any non-manual way to prevent it.

So when your dwarfs go off duty and drop their weapon, it never gets picked up or put away in the armory stockpile. But as long as the sword master never go off duty, they continue to use the sword indefinitely.

Wait, what?  Why are your dwarves dropping the sword when they go off duty?  Are they miners/woodcutters/hunters?  That's bad.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 09, 2012, 07:16:22 pm »

Another noob question.  Do dwarves go and take items that they want? If a clothier makes something better than what they currently own, will they grab it off the stockpile of their own volition?

They should replace worn out clothes, but it is bugged right now.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #532 on: March 09, 2012, 08:02:48 pm »

When their clothes wear out, dwarves will take new clothing from a stockpile... and then put the new clothing in their bedrooms and never, ever wear it.  It's a bit buggy the moment.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 09, 2012, 08:13:21 pm »

So do they claim any items besides clothing?  Crafts they like, weaponry not assigned to a uniform they have, etc?  I know furniture is entirely the overseers responsibility to dole out.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 09, 2012, 08:18:04 pm »

I don't think the value of the happy thought scales with the actual value, so once you hit Royal you're good. That said, if you tailor the room to the assigned dwarf (putting things he likes in, or statues of things he likes) then they'll get additional happy thoughts when they see those items.
Oh good point. I do run low-dwarf fortresses so that should work.

If the reduced value of overlapping rooms still leaves it at royal whatever, I'm good right? Or is there another downside to overlapping rooms?

Anyone know some pretty bedroom designs with 3x3 rooms? :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:21:03 pm by Yaotzin »

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 09, 2012, 08:31:36 pm »

In my next fort, I am going to give everyone a 2x1 room. A door and a bed with no room to walk around. :D

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 09, 2012, 08:32:47 pm »

I'm going to give everyone a royal bedroom ^_^

Does anyone know the value multiplier of smoothing a stone?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 09, 2012, 08:58:53 pm »

I wish there were different types of beds. Ones that require cloth sheets and wool down. Would give dwarves very good thoughts.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 09, 2012, 10:51:03 pm »

Soooo, how does one get rid of a melancholy vampire?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 09, 2012, 11:38:46 pm »

Soooo, how does one get rid of a melancholy vampire?
Give him something tall to jump off of?
It will also try to drowned itself, if there is a water source.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 422