Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882539 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #510 on: March 08, 2012, 11:27:52 pm »

They don't, unless you mess with them, start draining them or pumping them or something like that.  They might freeze, though.

If you just build a square wall on top, nothing that travels by land can enter it.  If you destroy the ramps leading into your box from the river, nothing aquatic can enter.  If you floor and grate off the entire river inside of your box, and build a roof, nothing can get in, and supposedly, you can still fish through the grates.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 08, 2012, 11:58:15 pm »

Ok. So I found two vampires (both my only dwarves with medical knowledge, no less) and I want to lock them in rooms. I made two burrows, and they won't go to them, and they won't do anything else. In fact, one was in the middle of bringing a gem to the trade depot. As soon as he finished, he stopped moving. Now listed as "no job", despite there being many depot hauling jobs left.

Advise? What's going on here? How do I get a dwarf to a burrow?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 09, 2012, 12:17:23 am »

Every time I get migrants I quarantine them. Sometimes a dwarf will stand around for like half a season before finally making his way to his burrow.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 09, 2012, 12:18:01 am »

While some people have reported good success with burrows, what I've seen is that all burrows do is prevent burrowed dwarves from accepting jobs outside of his burrow.  So he's not going to his burrow because there's no reason to go there, and he's not bringing stuff to the depot because those jobs are outside of his burrow.

If you want him to go to his burrow, you either need to put a job for him there (like a pull lever job), or you need to put him in the military (either station him, or give him a defend burrow order).
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 09, 2012, 12:21:00 am »

While some people have reported good success with burrows, what I've seen is that all burrows do is prevent burrowed dwarves from accepting jobs outside of his burrow.  So he's not going to his burrow because there's no reason to go there, and he's not bringing stuff to the depot because those jobs are outside of his burrow.

If you want him to go to his burrow, you either need to put a job for him there (like a pull lever job), or you need to put him in the military (either station him, or give him a defend burrow order).

I guess this would explain it. But that's pretty lame! I was hoping for a better answer than that. Well, LEVER TIME.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 09, 2012, 12:27:50 am »

Whenever I have a new load of dwarves to burrow, as soon as I assign then they stop dead in their tracks to think for a while.  Then a few minutes layer they shuffle off to their burrow which is just a room with no jobs, no food, etc.  Once they are all in I shut them in with a drawbridge.  Maybe one in 10 or 20 will go stupid for half a season before they go to the burrow, but every dwarf out of a couple hundred I have done this to has made it there eventually.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 09, 2012, 05:05:49 am »

I embarked in a part tropical forest part tropical swamp area. I get mostly thrips and such as wildlife.

Can I get elephants to appear somehow?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 09, 2012, 06:19:09 am »

You could also give him a labor for an industry you aren't using, like crossbow making. build a bowyer and make sure he is the only one with crossbow making skill. Once he takes the bait, lock him in, and delete the building and make him do what you really want him to do.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 09, 2012, 10:37:21 am »

Do kobolds ever do anything but send annoying pointless thieves? How can I make them more FUN?

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 09, 2012, 12:24:02 pm »

Thanks to a recent ambush, I have four badly-injured dwarves.  Two have been carried to the hospital, but the other two were ignored despite lying in the main entrance with people going past all the time.  (I've built beds under them now).

Three of them are now thirsty or dehydrated, but no-one will give them drinks, even though I have two working wells (one in the hospital, one in the dining room, with buckets stockpiled around them.

I have several dwarves with no jobs (and all hauling labors disabled), but they keep ignoring them.

What can I do to encourage my dwarves to water them?
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 09, 2012, 12:42:15 pm »

My expedition leader was upgraded to a baron, and after two years, he went insane (legendary armoursmith had a better room)
and I appointed a new leader.

Then a Dwarf liaison arrived, however he ignored the new leader and just followed the stark raving mad baron
around until he died of thirst.

I expected the liaison to leave the map with the dwarf caravan and return next year, however,
when the caravan left, he just stayed in my mess hall.

He's just staying there, while my new leader is jobless, has an office and everything else he needs,
but they are not going to meet and talk.

What am I supposed to do now? Will the liaison eventually talk with the new leader, or get bored and leave, or is he staying in the fort forever, dooming me not to have any more trade agreements or report wealth to my civilization?

The wiki says:
If your liaison goes without meeting for a long period of time, he or she will leave and you will get a screen informing you "Diplomacy stymied: A diplomat has left unhappy".
This also happens when the expedition leader/mayor is replaced.

I'm wondering how long exactly long is that? I can kill him, but will the replacement arrive next year?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #521 on: March 09, 2012, 12:46:01 pm »

You will get a new liaison next year no matter what.  If this one stays, if you kill him, if he leaves, doesn't matter, DF generates a new liaison from scratch each year.

You'll never get another baron, however.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 09, 2012, 01:33:38 pm »

Is there any hard data - from Toady or !!SCIENCE!! - that shows what each attribute actually does?

Is this http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:DFmental.PNG table pretty accurate for what's known for soldiers and doctors?

What about physical attributes, and attributes for non-combat skills?

In particular I'd really like to know what attributes matter for quality chances - speed doesn't bother me.

I'm guessing physical attributes increase speed and creativity/analytical etc increase quality - is that right?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:36:12 pm by Yaotzin »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 09, 2012, 01:40:00 pm »

This data assumes that the skills that train an attribute are also affected by it- an untested assumption, but probably a safe one.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 09, 2012, 02:49:26 pm »

Aye, I'm working on that assumption, but I believe Toady mentioned somewhere that they can affect both speed and quality of work - I think agility just affects their work speed for example. Since I don't care about speed, I'm trying to isolate the quality-affecting attributes.

Anywho other question: Are all legendary/royal dining rooms equal, or do you get even more happiness if you put the value through the roof?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 422