Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878530 times)

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #405 on: March 03, 2012, 12:10:57 pm »

Anyone know whats the best way to reclaim and isolate a fortress in a terrifying biome before the former inhabitants come to break the spines of my dwarves?
I've tried proficient hammerdwarves but they don't last too long
In my experience swords and axes dispatch zombies relatively quickly, then you've got to deal with the bodies fast or suffer repeat fights.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 03, 2012, 12:21:38 pm »

How can I get my dorfs to equip caps + helms? They get assigned both, but never ever pick up the caps.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 03, 2012, 01:23:38 pm »

are candy caps cloth or armor?  do they rot? 

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 03, 2012, 03:07:01 pm »

How can I get my dorfs to equip caps + helms? They get assigned both, but never ever pick up the caps.

Have them remove all their armor first (assign a uniform with no armor), let them dump their current armor,  then re-asign the uniform.  They likely had some other equipment on first before the helm and have already met their weight limits.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 03, 2012, 03:26:14 pm »

I just embarked in a terrifying zone mixed with a wildnerness one. I mined a bit the nearby hill to make it a burrow in case, and it was just in time as a "Profane Smoke" cloud moved over the map, while i kept my dwarves in that quickly made burrow.

Once the cloud was gone, i mined a bit more to make a general stockpile, to transfer everything from the disassembled wagon.
And noticed in the combat report this :

A "Giant Otter profane smoke husk" ?

Looking at the "Others" list i see :

"Opposed to life" ? as it's not classed as undead, what does it mean in termof gameplay, what is special about this so it's not undead ?

edit : oh and that monster alone killed the 7 dwarves.
And because i embarked on a terrifying zone, 5 of those dwarves were having proficient level of a weapon, one of them had a war hammer, far from being harmless recruits

The thing has every single part of his body broken (mostly thanks to the Hammerdwarf, as everyone else died in seconds !), but it didn't cared and continued to kill every other dwarves.

I don't know what exactly is "opposed to life", but the thing just can't die despite every single part of the body being broken

And all the tooth were gone too, but that didn't stopped its bite, and it killed many proficient warriors, not blue guys.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 03:37:08 pm by Robsoie »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 03, 2012, 03:33:22 pm »

Have them remove all their armor first (assign a uniform with no armor), let them dump their current armor,  then re-asign the uniform.  They likely had some other equipment on first before the helm and have already met their weight limits.
Nope :*( I tried assigning only the cap, and they picked it up, but then after adding the helm they removed the cap and put on the helm :(

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 03, 2012, 04:17:30 pm »

does glass still have missing raws, and are glass trap components still generally useless for killing things that wear clothes?

No, and no.  Glass has been effective since at least 0.31.25, possibly a few versions before that.  Glass large serrated discs work great in traps.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 03, 2012, 06:15:05 pm »

Not sure if this is the proper thread to ask this question, but...

Occasionally while a dwarf is working away at something, a cyan colored question mark will appear in his place.  What does this mean?

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 03, 2012, 06:52:08 pm »

Would a pool with 2 depth and deadly blood in it contaminate healthy dwarves walking through it? All I see is them being covered in water.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 03, 2012, 06:55:18 pm »

Not sure if this is the proper thread to ask this question, but...

Occasionally while a dwarf is working away at something, a cyan colored question mark will appear in his place.  What does this mean?

I might be mistaken, but I believe it's when a dwarf has just finished or cancelled a job, and is trying to figure out what to do next.
Would a pool with 2 depth and deadly blood in it contaminate healthy dwarves walking through it? All I see is them being covered in water.

At least in previous versions, yes.  The dwarves get washed off instantly, but they can still contract the syndrome.  (Since they're immediately cleaned, they cannot, however, spread it further.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 03, 2012, 08:40:01 pm »

Anyone know whats the best way to reclaim and isolate a fortress in a terrifying biome before the former inhabitants come to break the spines of my dwarves?
I've tried proficient hammerdwarves but they don't last too long
There's a bug with embark profiles that allows you to load 3 Proficient skills onto a dwarf, but you have to edit this manually into data/init/embark_profiles.txt. It will allow to you to give Proficient Armour / Shield / Weapon skill to a dwarf, but it costs 105 points per dwarf and you have to give them some armour. A leather cloak plus a copper shield costs 80 points (no wooden shields at embark, and shields are the single most expensive defensive item). A mail / helm / gauntlets / boots / greaves combo in bronze costs 505 points, and the same in copper costs 202 points. Luckily, copper war hammers are quite cheap at 18 points.

You can also try and isolate the wagon by digging the world's smallest dry moat before your former dwarves converge on it, which will take a couple of in-game days. If you do that you can treat it more as a regular embark, bringing an anvil and raw materials instead of ready-to-use armour. You'll still need some offensive capability come the first migrant wave, or come the time when you deal with the animated remains of the first migrant wave, but the more raw the material you bring the more bang you get for your buck.

Flying undead or nasty weather require that you get everything underground and sealed ASAP. To do that you can deconstruct the wagon so that all the items scatter on the ground, and then remove the ground underneath the items until you can build a roof over the gap.

Edit: at embark, 'high boot' means 'one high boot'. Altered points cost based on that.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:19:30 am by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 04, 2012, 12:06:03 am »

Is there any difference if you use bags instead of chests for meeting office or hospital requirements?

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 04, 2012, 01:33:14 am »

Why won't any of my dwarves construct a bowyer's workshop?  I have guys skilled in architecture, stoneworking, etc.... hauling turned off.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 04, 2012, 03:22:41 am »

Do you have CrossBow Making skill turned on?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 04, 2012, 04:01:32 am »

Do you have CrossBow Making skill turned on?

It's bowyer.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 422