Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878524 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #360 on: March 01, 2012, 03:32:19 pm »

Yeah, that's it- if he doesn't have the ability to grasp at all, he can't do jobs or haul things, and nerve damage never heals. I'd report the "cancels report crime" cancellation as a bug on the bugtracker, since they really shouldn't need the ability to grasp to do that. Last time I got that I put the dwarf in the Naked Wrestler Squad and set him to train constantly- if you go that route when he matures, remember to remove waterskin/food assignments from the military screen for his squad.

Otherwise, yeah, he's a great traptester- hopefully he doesn't have too many friends.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #361 on: March 01, 2012, 03:37:42 pm »

Has a kid ever migrated to the fort as an orphan?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 01, 2012, 04:02:26 pm »

Why might my fortress not be getting migrants? I'm below the pop limit, and the game gives the "no migrants came this season". Yet I have like 4m wealth. Surely I should be getting them?

If you are not generating a lot of wealth, you won't attract many dwarves.

Some tricks I use for generating wealth rapidly and quickly.

1)  Make your workshop out of the most valuable materials you can.  Careful with heat-generating workshops.  Making a magma forge out of combustible materials might be a bad idea.

2)  Get a craftdwarf started ASAP.  After my dwarves are underground, one of them starts making stone crafts immediately, and that becomes his one and only job.  For a long time.  Eventually they will be able to retask as a stonecarver or something, but it will take a while before they can really swamp your fortress with mugs or whatever.  They will also be making pots for food storage, but don't have them do that excessively until you really need them to.

3) If you are a minimalist, and build small compact fortresses, get one of your dwarves smoothing and engraving ASAP.

4) Construct mechanisms and make traps and levers.  Dwarves like traps and levers.  Make these from the most expensive materials that will do the job, like workshops.

5) If you build huge open fortresses, try to limit your digging early on - mining doesn't give you much wealth, only the base value of the rock you have mined.

6) Don't atomsmash anything except refuse and really junky stuff, unless you really have to.  With the new undead stuff, atomsmashing any body parts you don't use immediately would probably be a good idea.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 01, 2012, 04:07:14 pm »

Many entities don't know there parentage in Legends.  I'd say, prolly yea, however.  But I've been known to be wrong.  Goat kids show up.  Whats the difference between a Goat kid and a Dwarf kid?  *shrug*

Question:  Is there an update to update Therapist?  I got the memory update message the first time I ran it.  But I am still seeing strangeness.  I have raws showing up in this latest patch that make no sense, and skills I don't understand.  Thrillseeking is at -8000ish, thats insane.  Tracker?!?  Got an Unknown still, poping up.  I've no idea how to use this Memory Scan button.  Something minor is wrong with Therapist, does anyone know if Gullydwarf lans another free Therapist patch in the near future?  Or where I might find a working modified version.  Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 01, 2012, 04:15:56 pm »

I've never had a dorf cause job cancellation spam because of a broken toenail- can the child still walk? Does it still have 2 functioning hands?
Well, he has damaged lower left arm and right hand (both skin fat and muscle) and in status tab is mentioned yellow ability to grasp lost,  white motor nerve damaged and sensory nerve damaged. And everything is healed now.
But he has nothing wrong with legs except that nail. Not even injured by that bird-man.
Weard thig is that he is moving around my meeting hall - miracle ???.

Could this be it? So, hen he can't hold anything in his arms and can't even walk properly the he is perfect Urist McTrapTester. :D

Bookkeeper.  Manager.  Broker.  I believe you have found your perfect useless noble.  I think all of these jobs can be done with no need for working arms/hands.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #365 on: March 01, 2012, 04:26:03 pm »

I've never had a dorf cause job cancellation spam because of a broken toenail- can the child still walk? Does it still have 2 functioning hands?
Well, he has damaged lower left arm and right hand (both skin fat and muscle) and in status tab is mentioned yellow ability to grasp lost,  white motor nerve damaged and sensory nerve damaged. And everything is healed now.
But he has nothing wrong with legs except that nail. Not even injured by that bird-man.

Could this be it? So, hen he can't hold anything in his arms and can't even walk properly the he is perfect Urist McTrapTester. :D

Bookkeeper.  Manager.  Broker.  I believe you have found your perfect useless noble.  I think all of these jobs can be done with no need for working arms/hands.
Dwarfs who use their tongue and teeth to count instead of fingers and toes can count higher, given they still have all their teeth.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 01, 2012, 04:52:37 pm »

I think all of these jobs can be done with no need for working arms/hands.
They do need an adult though.

Is it possible to pin crimes on children in 34.04?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 01, 2012, 05:08:22 pm »

The archers! They do not train! I have the archery targets all set to archery ranges, and set to have my marksdwarf squads to train at them, and I have my marksdwarves scheduled to train 3 out of 6 at a time, and they all have quivers and bolts. Bolts are set to be used for training. I just don't see why they won't train and just sit there with no job.

Have you ac't'ivated the squad on the 's' menu? Check it's 'active/training' and not 'inactive'.
You also have to activate training on the archery target itself.

I have done both of these.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 01, 2012, 05:58:19 pm »

The archers! They do not train! I have the archery targets all set to archery ranges, and set to have my marksdwarf squads to train at them, and I have my marksdwarves scheduled to train 3 out of 6 at a time, and they all have quivers and bolts. Bolts are set to be used for training. I just don't see why they won't train and just sit there with no job.
Have you ac't'ivated the squad on the 's' menu? Check it's 'active/training' and not 'inactive'.
What version are you using? I remember that one of the devlog said something about fixing archery training.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 01, 2012, 06:05:49 pm »

Do non grazing animals like dogs need any special attention to survive? If I locked a breeding pair of them in a room and walled them in, will they keep reproducing forever, or will they starve and die?

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 01, 2012, 06:16:37 pm »

And I though he would go for a military duty. Ironically in his destription is "He is mighty". :D
Does for example engraver, pump oterator or animal trainer need hands?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 01, 2012, 06:17:02 pm »

If I generate a world and the only historical dwarven vampire is the queen of the other dwarven civ, will I ever get migrant vampires? I have a dwarf, just turned up, who is a former member of three civs and has wrinkled skin at the ripe old age of 16. He came with his older sister, who is 28 and also has wrinkled skin. No grey in their hair though.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 01, 2012, 06:22:50 pm »

Do non grazing animals like dogs need any special attention to survive? If I locked a breeding pair of them in a room and walled them in, will they keep reproducing forever, or will they starve and die?
Non grazers don't eat so you can wall them in a 1x1 and they'll only die of old age.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 01, 2012, 06:26:15 pm »

They will breed, and breed, and breed, and eventually die of old age.

They might fight due to overcrowding.  I'm not sure of that part.

Quote from: knutor
Whats the difference between a Goat kid and a Dwarf kid?

The Dwarf kid has a fuller beard.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 01, 2012, 06:32:56 pm »

What version are you using? I remember that one of the devlog said something about fixing archery training.

That might be it, didn't even realize bug fixed came out. They wont make me start a new world will they?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 422