Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882363 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #810 on: March 24, 2012, 11:33:15 am »

Qs :)

1. How to move an artefact from a spot to another, except by playing with stockpiles? I have an artefact gear for example, what can I do of him? A super lethal trap? How can I expose it to the Dwarves so they are impressed by its craftdwarfship?

2. If I mix macedwarves and axedwarves, are they able to train together? I don't have the population to have too many squads, split by category of weapons.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 24, 2012, 11:49:49 am »

1: If you also have an artifact useless weapon (lead spear) you could make a legendary useless trap in a busy route, creating many happy thoughts about a truly excellent trap that people admired.

2: sure you can mix, but during weapons demonstration your axedorfs may learn to use maces and vice versa, so it's not optimal.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 24, 2012, 12:23:56 pm »

I see all the time how people build bedrooms with only one door/entrance.   Is there any harm having a bedroom with multiple doors?

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 24, 2012, 12:29:07 pm »

Why is my craftsdwarf workshop filled to the brim with toys and none of my dwarves are moving them to the nearby stockpile with toys enabled?

Also, how do I find the masterpieces my dwarves create?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:41:29 pm by ClawlessVictory »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 24, 2012, 01:53:21 pm »

I see all the time how people build bedrooms with only one door/entrance.   Is there any harm having a bedroom with multiple doors?

No harm at all, it just requires building a few extra doors is all.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 24, 2012, 02:23:06 pm »

I started a fort intending to try out the new animal training. Fort's about halfway complete when I realize I'm using 34.05, not 34.06.
Can has how fix please?
If not I'll prolly just wait for the next release since evens seem to be short lived.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #816 on: March 24, 2012, 02:25:52 pm »

You should be able to take a 34.05 fortress and copy it over to 34.06, and have the new training changes take effect immediately.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 24, 2012, 02:30:24 pm »

That sounds like what I want to do. But what do I need to move? Just the regions folder?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 24, 2012, 02:32:57 pm »

Just copy all the contents in the 34.06 download to your game folder. Don't worry, it won't corrupt anything.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 24, 2012, 02:40:17 pm »

just moving the region save should work too, right?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 24, 2012, 02:47:28 pm »

Just copy all the contents in the 34.06 download to your game folder. Don't worry, it won't corrupt anything.
I will try this. Corruption wouldn't be a huge problem. I just started the fort, but it was a nice embark: magnetite clumps visible from the surface wrapped in dolomite with a marble layer just a few z levels down as well as olivine. a tower and a goblin civ half a days walk away...

While I'm here and acting the noob: could I transfer my military uniform template in from other versions?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:06:26 pm by Rude »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 24, 2012, 03:33:55 pm »

I have an artefact gear for example, what can I do of him? A super lethal trap? How can I expose it to the Dwarves so they are impressed by its craftdwarfship?

Best thing is to build a lever using it.  Dwarves will get the "admired a trap" thought.  I believe this counts the lever as a trap, since it's built from the same submenu.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 24, 2012, 04:45:29 pm »

@Clawless, l-lowercase L, to list the fortresses artifacts.  That won't show you where its at, however.  Just its value and desc.  To find its actual location, do a z-stocks tab, go down to the catagory for the type of artifact, and then press Tab, this will list each individual item and show their quality, instead of grouping them all, it will also show artifacts, special named items, from their you can z-zoom straight too its location, after ya arrow over to it, and mark it in the list on the righthand side of stocks.  Unless its equiped on someone, or placed somewhere.

My Questions:
1. What's a Tracker skill do? Something to do with Hammerer.
2. How best do you use your Trackers in Fortress Mode?  Military.

Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 24, 2012, 07:32:47 pm »

If you ask me, best use for an artifact mechanism is in a well. Every dwarf will use the well at some point, to clean themselves for example. Dwarves get very dirty.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 24, 2012, 08:07:28 pm »

What do I do with a caged goblin snatcher?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 422