Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882381 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #750 on: March 20, 2012, 09:43:39 pm »

If memory serves, royal jelly is just an ingredient and it has to be cooked out of the jugs. If it's a problem, make more jugs. What, are you running out of stone? What else are your legendary stonecrafters so busy doing?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 21, 2012, 04:32:36 am »

plump helmets with royal jelly, a delicious combination.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 21, 2012, 10:15:05 am »

Then build more axes! You can never have enough axes. They're super useful too.

For example, today I noticed that the 2nd Deck Fire Axe bracket was loose, so I screwed it back in. Didn't have a screwdriver, so I used the fire axe. Worked a treat! Axes = screwdrivers.
ah yeah, that's actually something I was working on... just need to figure out how to start metal production.  I'm on the cusp... really, I am!  :P
Last time I checked wooden training axes were fine for woodcutters.

So if you have literally any wood you should be able to build a training axe. If you want to make sure it's not claimed by the military you can simply tell them top use spears or swords or something instead.

Nick

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 21, 2012, 11:44:49 am »

If memory serves, royal jelly is just an ingredient and it has to be cooked out of the jugs. If it's a problem, make more jugs. What, are you running out of stone? What else are your legendary stonecrafters so busy doing?
More of a matter of stockpile space and having to fuss with making new jugs every time I want to gather some honey.  Ah well, I suppose it's just one of those little things that I'll have to get used to.  Or make a stockpile next to the kitchen that accepts royal jelly jugs.  That might help cook it up, since the chefs seem to prefer everything else to it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #754 on: March 21, 2012, 12:24:04 pm »

More of a matter of stockpile space and having to fuss with making new jugs every time I want to gather some honey.  Ah well, I suppose it's just one of those little things that I'll have to get used to.  Or make a stockpile next to the kitchen that accepts royal jelly jugs.  That might help cook it up, since the chefs seem to prefer everything else to it.
It may be a similar issue to trying to cook syrup, where liquid ingredients are very low priority.  You can take advantage of the fact that ingredients in containers are prioritized over ingredients not in containers, and make sure you have some solid ingredients that aren't being stored in containers along with the royal jelly in jugs.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

badwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 21, 2012, 03:28:56 pm »

Are nobles still lazy in the latest release? According to the wiki, it says this was a broken feature in 31.xx, but since I don't know if this still applies to 34.05.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 21, 2012, 03:56:29 pm »

Are nobles still lazy in the latest release? According to the wiki, it says this was a broken feature in 31.xx, but since I don't know if this still applies to 34.05.

My count (who I am also forcibly appointing as my mayor even if he doesn't win the election), who was previously a Legendary Carpenter, is still happily turning out masterwork beds and bins at his workshop after adopting the purple, so I'm guessing the 'lazy' bit isn't applying at this point.

Lurking Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 21, 2012, 06:12:28 pm »

Is there anyway I can stop almost all the megabeasts getting slaughtered during worldgen?
Anyway I can up their numbers? I tried removing the [BEASTHUNTER] tag from entities but I still end with them all dead after 150 years or so.

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
  • ahh, its raining goblin blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 21, 2012, 06:22:06 pm »

you can try setting it to low world time, or large arena, and low # of civilization, may help
ahh, its raining goblin blood everwere

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 21, 2012, 10:01:02 pm »

>Count

Why haven't I made a vampire count in my game yet‽

This must be rectified. And made permanent, of course, by turning all my liasons into coffin inspectors.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

badwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 22, 2012, 03:35:51 am »

My farms are near the surface, and aren't really too close to my brewery/cooking area. It's not a bad trek, but it would be nice to figure this out for future forts. What's a more efficient way involving stockpiles? It sounds like a good idea to create a plant stockpile right near the farm for my farmers to stock, and then haulers can pick that up to bring it to the brewer plant stockpiles.

I guess my question really is this: how will they handle the plants in barrels? Will they pick up the barrels from the farmer's stockpile and transport them to the brewery stockpile, or do they move the individual stacks of plants instead and leave the barrels be? It'd be nice if the barrels were left alone, so the farmers wouldn't have to constantly fetch new barrels...

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 22, 2012, 04:55:45 am »

Child grew up, I made her make an iron pick (for a strange mood) and the little rascal made it a masterpiece. With absolutely no skill.

What are the odds?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 22, 2012, 06:11:05 am »

My farms are near the surface, and aren't really too close to my brewery/cooking area. It's not a bad trek, but it would be nice to figure this out for future forts. What's a more efficient way involving stockpiles? It sounds like a good idea to create a plant stockpile right near the farm for my farmers to stock, and then haulers can pick that up to bring it to the brewer plant stockpiles.

I guess my question really is this: how will they handle the plants in barrels? Will they pick up the barrels from the farmer's stockpile and transport them to the brewery stockpile, or do they move the individual stacks of plants instead and leave the barrels be? It'd be nice if the barrels were left alone, so the farmers wouldn't have to constantly fetch new barrels...

Why don't you build the still next to the farmers stockpile, after which haulers will transport the drink to the booze stockpile.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Fahgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 22, 2012, 01:12:53 pm »

Which room would be more valuable: a 1x3 bedroom dug into marble and then smoothed or a 1x3 bedroom dug into dirt then floored and walled with marble blocks? Assuming both the same value furniture too.

ratchet freak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 22, 2012, 01:32:21 pm »

Which room would be more valuable: a 1x3 bedroom dug into marble and then smoothed or a 1x3 bedroom dug into dirt then floored and walled with marble blocks? Assuming both the same value furniture too.

the dug room allows it to be engraved ergo the dug room is (potentially) more valuable
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 422