Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879288 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5910 on: January 22, 2014, 12:13:29 am »

They don't accept plants at all IIRC?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Elf :

Elves will generally accept items made of green glass, stone, metal, bone and other refuse, silk, leather, plant fiber cloth, meat and fish, totems, and even plants. They will accept animals in trade, as long as their cages are not wooden.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: January 22, 2014, 12:18:32 am »

Do any of the items have wood decorations? Or clear glass or crystal glass? They accept raw clear and crystal glass according to the wiki, but not items made of them or decorated with them.

Hmm that might be, will have to look at the crafts closer because I was playing with encrusting and decorating stuff just to burn up stock. I missed that in the wiki thanks.

(edit) well it wasn't any glass, but I went thru and this time looked for any item that had the decorated icon and sure enough was a damn shirt from goblin loot that had willow studs type decoration. But I wouldn't have looked that closely without the help so thanks.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:04:49 am by Lochar »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: January 22, 2014, 06:15:46 pm »

Petrified wood is fine, btw. It's a kind of stone.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: January 23, 2014, 01:59:37 pm »

The alt key does not work in Ubuntu, you'll have to remap it if you want to jump into water in adv mode.

Huh.  Weird.  Maybe the problem is unique to certain locales/configuration?  I play on 64-bit Debian 7 with a standard US keyboard + setup, and Alt-S works for me in Fortress mode.  I've never remapped anything in DF.

in 12.04 LTS they indicate an alt-key combination as a short cut so it must have been 'seen to'

thanks everyone
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: January 24, 2014, 02:25:53 am »

Is there a RAW switch I can see/examine to figure out what affects a critter's landspeed?

I swear that serpent titans are redonkulously fast, but I'd like to prove it out.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: January 26, 2014, 07:14:06 pm »

Which artifact furniture can't be deconstucted by building destroyers? I'm redesigning the entrance with an alternate pathway which leads to a dodge-me pit and I'm planning on using either the artifact grates or the artifact floodgate together with a bridge to shift the route into the drop pit when a siege arrives.

I also have several artifact mechanisms.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: January 26, 2014, 07:43:44 pm »

any building artifact can't be destroyed. I've had success with doors, statues, floodgates, cabinets, chests... well, don't know any others anymore.

I don't know how it works with mechanisms in stuff. Could be like bridges and magma-safe things, if one piece can be destroyed, it can all be destroyed. Though I think the artifact will be deconstructed, not destroyed in that case, if that happens in the first place. Someone else can probably answer this.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: January 26, 2014, 08:23:12 pm »

any building artifact can't be destroyed. I've had success with doors, statues, floodgates, cabinets, chests... well, don't know any others anymore.

I don't know how it works with mechanisms in stuff. Could be like bridges and magma-safe things, if one piece can be destroyed, it can all be destroyed. Though I think the artifact will be deconstructed, not destroyed in that case, if that happens in the first place. Someone else can probably answer this.

I don't mean destroyed, I mean deconstructed, will an artifact floodgate standing alone be deconstructed by a building destroyer?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: January 26, 2014, 08:26:40 pm »

Since they can be deconstructed by magma (as I learned the hard way)... I think so.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: January 26, 2014, 08:37:22 pm »

That's not even what I'm trying to ask.....

Feh, I have some captive trolls, so I'll just experiment.

Edit: Both trolls simply went and stood one tile from the artifact floodgate, didn't get to test the artifact grate as a wall grate.

I can probably test with the FBs wandering around in the caverns.

Edit: It did the same thing, stand one tile from it, heck, it stood one tile from the iron wall grate in front of the artifact.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:31:23 pm by smjjames »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: January 26, 2014, 10:40:33 pm »

I just had a FB take apart an artifact hatch with a non-artifact mechanism in it.  It destroyed the mechanism and moved the hatch, but hatch sustained no damage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: January 26, 2014, 11:28:02 pm »

Guys, I KNOW artifact furniture take no damage, I'm trying to see whether building destroyers will move (aka deconstruct) artifact wall grates or floodgates but the local building destroyers weren't being very cooperative and just standing a tile from the artifact for some reason.

The FB even stood a tile from the iron grate in front of the artifact grate, which was odd.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: January 26, 2014, 11:43:51 pm »

I know FBs will stare for years at an artifact table, standing two tiles away like they're trying to deconstruct it but never going through with it. So long as all components of an artifact FB lure are artifact (so if that floodgate or wall grate is connected to a lever or pressure plate, the mechanism inside the FB lure has to be artifact), FBs will happily stand there forever without a care in the world.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: January 26, 2014, 11:51:51 pm »

As i understand it, they actually _are_ busily clawing at the object all the time: all deconstruction takes place from two tiles away, with an empty tile between destroyer and "building". This is so predictable that i built a raising drawbridge two tiles away from one of my vulnerable doors as a "troll-b-gone" device.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: January 27, 2014, 12:25:14 am »

Wierd that it didn't deconstruct the iron wall grate in front of the artifact though.
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 422