Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879215 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5850 on: January 12, 2014, 11:22:43 am »

Which would be better, iron scourges or silver scourges? I'm thinking of rebuilding the lasherdwarf squad and using scourges instead of whips.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: January 12, 2014, 11:49:49 am »

Which would be better, iron scourges or silver scourges? I'm thinking of rebuilding the lasherdwarf squad and using scourges instead of whips.
If I remember correctly, iron was the better material for scourges, whilst silver was better for whips.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Urist McOriginalname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: January 12, 2014, 06:17:56 pm »

Is an artifact shield better at blocking than a regular one?

I've heard it doesn't matter what material shield you have and it blocks everything just fine, so is equipping my military with wooden shields better, because they are more lighter than metal ones?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: January 12, 2014, 06:25:43 pm »

Is an artifact shield better at blocking than a regular one?

I've heard it doesn't matter what material shield you have and it blocks everything just fine, so is equipping my military with wooden shields better, because they are more lighter than metal ones?

Artifact shields should perform better, since artifacts are of better quality than masterworked items.

Material doesn't have any affect on blocking abilities. Though wooden shields won't leave as much of an impact as a metal one if your soldiers try to bash the enemy.

Light is good, since your soldiers are likely already slowed by their armour and weapons.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: January 12, 2014, 06:34:37 pm »

Didn't someone prove that sheild-quality doesn't affect blockchance at all?
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: January 12, 2014, 08:39:41 pm »

Yes, but I can't remember for sure if they tested artifact quality shields.  It was all done in the testing arena and I don't think you can spawn artifact quality items there.  In either case, I really doubt it matters.  Shield User skill is by far the most important aspect of blocking chance.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5856 on: January 14, 2014, 02:07:11 am »

I have gotten the King awhile ago, but my question is, do I stop getting dwarves to trade with now?

I have had bad luck to have major sieges during elf and human caravan arrivals and they turned away, now I am sitting on a ton of goods and no one is showing up. Am I down to those 2 and have they snubbed me since they got attacked?

Also 2nd question, any known bugs with workflow? Tried to craft some mittens via manager and keeps telling me no cloth to make them when I still have a few left. Does workflow 'reserve' certain levels?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: January 14, 2014, 03:18:39 am »

I have gotten the King awhile ago, but my question is, do I stop getting dwarves to trade with now?

I have had bad luck to have major sieges during elf and human caravan arrivals and they turned away, now I am sitting on a ton of goods and no one is showing up. Am I down to those 2 and have they snubbed me since they got attacked?

Also 2nd question, any known bugs with workflow? Tried to craft some mittens via manager and keeps telling me no cloth to make them when I still have a few left. Does workflow 'reserve' certain levels?

You will still get your caravan. The outpost liaison will not show up anymore.

There is a chance that they decided to turn on you for the dead merchants. If not, they will not show up if you are under siege.

I don't use workflow but perhaps the stockpile with your clothes is set to provide its contents to another workshop.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: January 14, 2014, 11:03:13 am »

cloth may also be reserved by a hospital
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: January 14, 2014, 11:26:56 am »

cloth may also be reserved by a hospital

That's the most likely cause - "a few left" is often cloth reserved for or partially used by the healthcare system.

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5860 on: January 14, 2014, 12:24:57 pm »

Ahhh the hospital,  didn't think of that 1 thanks. I am really hurting for caravan.

I do have 309 silk thread sitting in a cavern but not ready to tackle the 2 forgotten beasts parked there.

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: January 17, 2014, 07:58:58 pm »

Ok next problem. I have a one armed dwarf that is spamming me all the time because he can't store his personal items due to injury.

I basically have him doing nothing to get rid of hauling spam from him but anyway around this?

On similar note also have trouble finding patching issues when says area in accessible.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: January 17, 2014, 08:33:32 pm »

if items are inaccessible, and will remain so, forbid them ( (d) (b) (f) ). The forbidden items won't generate jobs

The one armed dwarf probably also has damage to his other arm, one useful arm is good enough to do pretty much any job. Sadly, unless you change the raws in the save to heal nerve damage (which would be what is affecting the arm that is still there), he'll never have any use of either the arm that is there or that isn't there ever again. If the other arm is otherwise affected it may heal. Broken bones and nerve damage cause the loss of use, but broken bones heal in time.

In the (o)rders menu you can set the amount of messages like this you get, but setting it to none may make you miss important things too.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: January 17, 2014, 08:43:17 pm »

Unfortunately, even modding the game to allow nerves to heal won't fix a limb with nerve damage.  The game treats those nerves as an amorphous injury type unrelated to actual nerves.  You could use a tool like DFHack to heal the dwarf, but that's cheating too.  :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: January 17, 2014, 08:48:19 pm »

good to know. I never tried, so I was just assuming it would work. I edited it in one time when playing adventure mode for a while and I got tired of being unlucky 10 minutes into the game and getting nerve damage in an arm or leg (and never finding a crutch when you actually need one). It's realistic in a way, just very annoying. I never got into a situation where I actually needed it and it hasn't been in my own edits since, so I didn't know for sure if it'd actually work.
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 422