Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879038 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5790 on: January 03, 2014, 05:09:29 pm »

Just a quick question about getting seeds from above-ground plants. Does a dwarf have to eat an above-ground plant that I gathered raw to have a seed remaining from it? If I cook that above-ground plant, does it destroy the seed?
Feeling down? Click Here!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: January 03, 2014, 05:24:34 pm »

Just a quick question about getting seeds from above-ground plants. Does a dwarf have to eat an above-ground plant that I gathered raw to have a seed remaining from it? If I cook that above-ground plant, does it destroy the seed?

Yes the dwarf will have to eat the above ground plant (if it's edible), cooking will destroy the seed and brewing the plant does provide seeds.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: January 04, 2014, 03:27:18 am »

Hi there, im about to start playing DF again have a few questions i need help with,

im looking for the name of the build of DF that was kind of streamlined and came with a launcher like LNP.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622

Hardly any stones left behind when mining and other clutter and science tweaks.  Also had tile pack.
See above.  34.11 has (on average) 1/4 stones mined drop a boulder.  Offset: 4:1 when you create stones from boulders for large constructions.

I asked ages ago too but cant find the page, is it possible to start a game with even 1 dwarf and somehow stop or remove the migrant wave?
You'll always start with 7.  The first two migrant waves are hardcoded (AFAIK).  After that, if your init is set to less than 7 and you force the dwarven homeland to update via DFHack you can stop the additional ones.

Im trying to do a 1 man cabin in the middle of nowhere, will the game keep the numbers as low as 1 if set in options and somehow deal with the 1st migrant wave?
Yes.

Also if i only ever had 1 or 2 dwarves, would i be able to select a much bigger area for starting spot since there would be less ai to compute?
No.  Ish.  It depends on what you do with it.  Start digging a massive area and the computations exist.  Use routing and don't dig massive underground chambers without locked doors?  You'll be fine.

Would i also be able to drag them all over the place like some drunken rts?  To kind of adventure mode in a small area but not in direct control and with building?
DF has two modes, Adventure and Fortress.  You're not going far in Fortress, you're not working with much in adventure.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: January 04, 2014, 01:47:13 pm »

So I've read up about Dumping and otherwise disposal of Corpses, yet my Dwarves simply refuse to move these Goblins.  I have a Garbage Dump Zone, and a stockpile for Corpses (not to be confused with Refuse-Corpses), yet the Goblins remain.  A few of the earlier ones have even become part of the masonry ceiling in my great courtyard ::)

The latest ambush was right at the front gate however, so these bodies definitely can't remain.  The unhappy thoughts alone would ruin me, nevermind the threat of Necromancer.  A few of my casualties were immediately moved to the Corpse Stockpile without me doing a thing, until a proper tomb was constructed, then they were automatically moved there.  So I know it is working in that regard.  Is there any way to prioritize a hauling order?  Any suggestions are welcome.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: January 04, 2014, 02:56:30 pm »

So I've read up about Dumping and otherwise disposal of Corpses, yet my Dwarves simply refuse to move these Goblins.  I have a Garbage Dump Zone, and a stockpile for Corpses (not to be confused with Refuse-Corpses), yet the Goblins remain.  A few of the earlier ones have even become part of the masonry ceiling in my great courtyard ::)

The latest ambush was right at the front gate however, so these bodies definitely can't remain.  The unhappy thoughts alone would ruin me, nevermind the threat of Necromancer.  A few of my casualties were immediately moved to the Corpse Stockpile without me doing a thing, until a proper tomb was constructed, then they were automatically moved there.  So I know it is working in that regard.  Is there any way to prioritize a hauling order?  Any suggestions are welcome.

Are the corpses outside? If they are, did you set your orders to allow dwarves to gather outside refuse?

A corpse stockpile is only for civ-members, non-civ-members go to a refuse stockpile.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: January 04, 2014, 03:18:35 pm »

Oh duh, completely forgot the Orders menu.  Just when I figure out something new (in this case, Track Ramps), I forget something else. :-[  But so help me I'm learning, lol.  Ok, last pressing issue for the time being.  Regarding cave-ins, will 'natural' pillars suffice, or do I have to build actual supports?  i.e. mining out a room like so;

|_______________|

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: January 04, 2014, 04:44:27 pm »

natural pilars work fine. Cave ins were a hazard in older versions if you had large unsupported spaces. The current version just needs 1 place that 'supports', so a whole fort resting on 1 pillar of sand is possible, as long as everything is connected and supported at some spot. Even a fort hanging from a sort of giant crane works.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: January 04, 2014, 04:53:58 pm »

I asked ages ago too but cant find the page, is it possible to start a game with even 1 dwarf and somehow stop or remove the migrant wave?
You'll always start with 7.  The first two migrant waves are hardcoded (AFAIK).  After that, if your init is set to less than 7 and you force the dwarven homeland to update via DFHack you can stop the additional ones.

Actually, DFhack has a plugin that allows you to start with more than 7 dwarves (the startdwarf command), however, I have no idea whether it'll allow you to start with less than 7.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: January 04, 2014, 05:05:53 pm »

Actually, DFhack has a plugin that allows you to start with more than 7 dwarves (the startdwarf command), however, I have no idea whether it'll allow you to start with less than 7.

It will just give you an error saying the number is too low. Anything lower than 7 isn't accepted.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: January 04, 2014, 05:21:19 pm »

natural pilars work fine. Cave ins were a hazard in older versions if you had large unsupported spaces. The current version just needs 1 place that 'supports', so a whole fort resting on 1 pillar of sand is possible, as long as everything is connected and supported at some spot. Even a fort hanging from a sort of giant crane works.
... *note to self* 'construct bird cage Fortress and give everything Bat Leather Clothing.'

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5800 on: January 04, 2014, 09:27:05 pm »

IIrc, someone made a.. well, I don't know what to call it, a challenge with it? I think the basic idea was  an area slowly filling or emptying with water and when a critical level was reached it would trigger the one support that was holding the fort up, unless a lever was pulled at least every 15 minutes or so to reset the mechanism.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Urist McOriginalname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: January 05, 2014, 06:33:10 am »

I have a question about texture packs, do they reduce my FPS?
The fort i am playing is slowly reaching the critical mass (8-12 FPS as soon as i unpause) and im trying to find every way possible to prevent the inevitable while i still have the luxury of not waiting 5 min for a dwarf to change his socks.

Also my bone carver had a mood and he created a goblin bone short sword , the sword obviously has a sentimental value for me, so i want to give it to my militia commander.
Is it worth swapping a -steel short sword- for an artifact bone short sword?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: January 05, 2014, 08:39:18 am »

Texture packs don't do anything to the framerate. The wiki has some good tips for improving it.

The steel short sword will be way better.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: January 05, 2014, 01:14:38 pm »

artifact quality greatly improves the chance to hit. Unfortunately, bone isn't able to cut through anything much, so it's pretty worthless. Stick it in a weapon trap in a high traffic area to generate good thoughts

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: January 05, 2014, 05:20:52 pm »

Can dwarves have preferences for "inferior" booze such as sewer brew and prickle berry wine?
Feeling down? Click Here!
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 422