Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879006 times)

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5775 on: January 02, 2014, 05:45:59 pm »

Hi,

2 questions.

1. Have some wounded soldiers but they just keep going on their business. Do I need to remove them from military and give no jobs to get them to stay in hospital to be treated?

2. Does the option to replace armor effectively get them to wear their armor even when off duty? Tired of patrols ending and having folks pick up stray armor and stuff from fields.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: January 02, 2014, 06:22:51 pm »

1) Usually it means that the wound was minor and/or the dwarves in question heal faster than average.  If they can walk around without a trail of blood, they should be okay and will heal up eventually, even without medical care.  I once had a dwarf get a serious cut to his throat.  The wound healed on its own before the chief medic even had a chance to diagnose him.

2) Yes, however, even with that option, every now and then a soldier will drop a piece of equipment and grab something else.  It's never been a big problem, and I've just assumed it's whenever a better piece of equipment becomes available.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:26:12 pm by VerdantSF »

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: January 02, 2014, 06:44:33 pm »

Thanks for info.

Lol learned to be careful with that command to replace.  Had a female dwarf strip civ clothing but apparently I ran out of armor so she wasn't happy to be running around nekkid. But I can handle an occasional upgrade, it was the pile of gear dropped in bfe that was driving me nuts.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: January 02, 2014, 07:04:16 pm »

the order to wear armor when off duty is independent from over or replacing clothing. They're really just replacing armor (or clothing) when they see something more fancy somewhere.

Can plants be grown on muddied constructed floors, or do you get a 'building present' when you try to place a farm plot?
do farms actually work on constructed floors? Regular trees and grass won't grow there, right?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:08:01 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: January 02, 2014, 07:17:27 pm »

the order to wear armor when off duty is independent from over or replacing clothing. They're really just replacing armor (or clothing) when they see something more fancy somewhere.

Ok I guess I am missing where to find this option then? I saw others saying they do this but not sure where this option was under.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: January 02, 2014, 07:30:55 pm »

Oops, Garath is right!  It's on the training schedule screen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:34:23 pm by VerdantSF »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: January 02, 2014, 09:22:44 pm »

I strongly recommend NOT touching the "wear armor while off duty" setting.  This is on by default, and should remain on.  You don't want your dwarves wasting even more time switching attire, and armor is better than clothing, unless you've weighed 'em down with a ton of unnecessary layers.

I leave each squad position set to the default "wear uniform over clothing" setting until I've verified that there's a green checkmark (item assignment) for every piece of that position's uniform.  Then I toggle that position to "replace clothing".
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: January 02, 2014, 11:03:21 pm »

I strongly recommend NOT touching the "wear armor while off duty" setting.  This is on by default, and should remain on.  You don't want your dwarves wasting even more time switching attire, and armor is better than clothing, unless you've weighed 'em down with a ton of unnecessary layers.

I leave each squad position set to the default "wear uniform over clothing" setting until I've verified that there's a green checkmark (item assignment) for every piece of that position's uniform.  Then I toggle that position to "replace clothing".

one answer on that: Woolen caps. Shaped wool caps. Wear a helmet for armoks sake!

Otherwise I agree with you and do the same.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: January 02, 2014, 11:24:23 pm »

I strongly recommend NOT touching the "wear armor while off duty" setting.  This is on by default, and should remain on.

Oh, I agree.  Though, from what the OP was experiencing, perhaps the option was toggled off by accident.  I've certainly had a keypress mishap here and there that I didn't catch until later.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: January 03, 2014, 12:23:16 am »

Really the best reason to wear armor over clothing is that (unless I'm mistaken) that allows chain and platemail to be worn at the same time. Also, I've had even seriously injured dwarves not seek medical attention. I guess the main thing behind whether or not they get treatment is just has to do with if treatment will make a difference. If Urist McSwordsdwarf loses his hand but suffers no other injuries that could benefit from care (e.g. broken bones, tendons, etc.), then, I guess he just deals with it. I mean, maybe they just heal ridiculously fast, but sometimes, when a soldier has had an appendage cleanly cut off, I never actually see him bleed. Has anyone else had this?
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: January 03, 2014, 12:27:18 am »

Really the best reason to wear armor over clothing is that (unless I'm mistaken) that allows chain and platemail to be worn at the same time.

Mail shirts will stack under breastplates as long as they're part of the uniform.   

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: January 03, 2014, 02:02:00 am »

Oops, Garath is right!  It's on the training schedule screen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok thanks, I missed someone saying that but will look next time I play.  I dont know if hit wrong keypress when making schedules but I am in a minor hell trying to get all the dropped equipment picked up all the time right now. My last 3-4 waves of migrants have 90% been weapon trained so I have been just slapping them in squads. Managing gear and schedules for 70 soldiers was not fun for a noob like myself. But I am sure I hit the wrong thing in a few places and paying the price for it...

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: January 03, 2014, 12:10:59 pm »

Hi there, im about to start playing DF again have a few questions i need help with,

im looking for the name of the build of DF that was kind of streamlined and came with a launcher like LNP.

Hardly any stones left behind when mining and other clutter and science tweaks.  Also had tile pack.

I asked ages ago too but cant find the page, is it possible to start a game with even 1 dwarf and somehow stop or remove the migrant wave?

Im trying to do a 1 man cabin in the middle of nowhere, will the game keep the numbers as low as 1 if set in options and somehow deal with the 1st migrant wave? 

Also if i only ever had 1 or 2 dwarves, would i be able to select a much bigger area for starting spot since there would be less ai to compute?

Would i also be able to drag them all over the place like some drunken rts?  To kind of adventure mode in a small area but not in direct control and with building?

Thanks for look!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:15:41 pm by foil »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: January 03, 2014, 12:23:07 pm »

So I've almost got Tracks nailed down (ba-dum pish), but this next rail line is especially compact due to a cavern, and I want to make sure I designate in the correct order.  Side view;

(T)rack, (d)downward ramp, (u)pward ramp, (W)all, (___) blank/natural floor

TTTdW
   Wu__dW
         Wu__dW
               Wu__TTT

As I understand the concept, in order for a Ramp Track to be 2-way, you must include the wall 1 space beyond, but I am unsure which direction to start in.  Or must I designate a separate direction for each ramp, then fill in the Tracks at the middle?

Edit; Ok 1 more.  Regarding cave-ins, will 'natural' columns work, or do you have to construct actual supports?  Example, if I carve out a room like this;
|_______________|
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:42:49 pm by Immortal-D »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: January 03, 2014, 12:44:15 pm »

Hi there, im about to start playing DF again have a few questions i need help with,

im looking for the name of the build of DF that was kind of streamlined and came with a launcher like LNP.

Hardly any stones left behind when mining and other clutter and science tweaks.  Also had tile pack.

I asked ages ago too but cant find the page, is it possible to start a game with even 1 dwarf and somehow stop or remove the migrant wave?

Im trying to do a 1 man cabin in the middle of nowhere, will the game keep the numbers as low as 1 if set in options and somehow deal with the 1st migrant wave? 

Also if i only ever had 1 or 2 dwarves, would i be able to select a much bigger area for starting spot since there would be less ai to compute?

Would i also be able to drag them all over the place like some drunken rts?  To kind of adventure mode in a small area but not in direct control and with building?

Thanks for look!
I only know the LNP with a launcher, maybe someone else can answer that. The current version doesn't have too many stones left behind anymore, again, I don't know any mod that reduces it further.

IIrc, the game kind of ignores a pop-cap of 1. If you don't want to spend time killing dorfs, try to find an extinct civ and just deal with the first two waves.

As to the area, units really arn't the hardest to compute compared to items and area. I don't think anyone ever managed the biggest possible size
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 422