Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878880 times)

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5595 on: November 26, 2013, 01:25:44 am »

there is actually a number specifying the minimum and possibly maximum number of for example evil biomes in advanced world gen. I can't tell you which number and how to change it for the desired results, but it should be possible

Confused a bit, but that makes sense.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: November 26, 2013, 01:29:50 am »

Well, I remember one time messing with it and I ended up with just one evil biome - which spanned half the world
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: November 26, 2013, 02:10:36 am »

I want to put this before my actual question:
I am not a very FUN person

Anyhow, I wanted to figure out how to make Evil Biomes less likely to appear. I read up a bit on meshing and biomes, and it seems to be that for some reason making things a million to one chance increases the chance somehow (or one to a million).
I use custom maps, and I want to know, how do I make Evil Biomes less likely to appear?

In advanced worldgen, look for the 'desired number of good squares' and the inverse.  Make sure that you're allowing enough sub-regions and sites, so that the single evil biome you allow doesn't cover an entire mountain range or something.

AFAIK, the easiest way to avoid evil is to set the desired #good squares ridiculously high, and the evil low.  Seems obvious, right? 

You may want to also turn down, or disable, the 'evil clouds' and 'evil rains,' as well as disabling werecreatures, vampires, and secret types, if you're looking for the mellowest, safest world possible.

Here is a great resource, for more in-depth analysis on world generation.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: November 26, 2013, 10:26:21 am »

Anyhow, I wanted to figure out how to make Evil Biomes less likely to appear. I read up a bit on meshing and biomes, and it seems to be that for some reason making things a million to one chance increases the chance somehow (or one to a million).
I use custom maps, and I want to know, how do I make Evil Biomes less likely to appear?

Go to advanced world gen and set the desired evil square count in small, medium, and large subregions to none. It prevents any evil biomes from being generated at all.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: November 27, 2013, 05:29:50 am »

How do shields vs bucklers rank? Got an artifact steel buckler, is it better than a masterwork steel shield?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: November 27, 2013, 06:00:17 am »

Go to advanced world gen and set the desired evil square count in small, medium, and large subregions to none. It prevents any evil biomes from being generated at all.

This will also prevent any goblins from having a place to settle.  If you'd like a world with only dwarves, humans, and elves, than this is the way to go.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: November 27, 2013, 12:06:08 pm »

This will also prevent any goblins from having a place to settle.  If you'd like a world with only dwarves, humans, and elves, than this is the way to go.

I have had absolutely no issues with goblins settling in a world with no evil biomes. They just tend to settle where the other races don't. Goblins are simply the only race that can or will settle in evil biomes, there is nothing in the entity raws that say that they MUST have evil biome to be spawned.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:09:44 pm by smjjames »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: November 27, 2013, 12:54:22 pm »

I recently purchased three stacks of steel bolts. I need my marksdwarfs to equip them. How do I do it?

The bolts are in an easily accessible stockpile with no bins allowed. The ammo of the marksdwarf squad is set to steel bolts (70) for combat and training. There are no active burrows.

The quivers are empty. How do I change that?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: November 27, 2013, 12:54:40 pm »

Is there a comprehensive damage comparison table somewhere?

I've noticed in the wiki that most materials have a damage rating as compared to iron, but I'd like to see a table that lists everything including glass, if there is one.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: November 27, 2013, 03:02:34 pm »

I recently purchased three stacks of steel bolts. I need my marksdwarfs to equip them. How do I do it?

The bolts are in an easily accessible stockpile with no bins allowed. The ammo of the marksdwarf squad is set to steel bolts (70) for combat and training. There are no active burrows.
Have you disallowed bolts for hunters?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: November 27, 2013, 03:12:38 pm »

Have you disallowed bolts for hunters?
No, but they are only allowed to use bone bolts.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: November 27, 2013, 04:44:55 pm »

there seem to be issues with marksdwarfs picking up bolts out of bins, that might be happening. How long have they been refusing to pick up the bolts? they usually don't get them immediately.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: November 27, 2013, 05:20:57 pm »

They aren't in bins. And they've picked up bone bolts in the past, I just need them to pick up the steel bolts now.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: November 27, 2013, 09:57:43 pm »

Tried giving them a station order somewhere?  That often jump starts the equipment pickup process.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: November 27, 2013, 10:05:48 pm »

I tried it, but it didn't help.
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 422