Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879026 times)

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5475 on: October 31, 2013, 05:09:42 pm »

I seem to recall a previous thread involving magma melting ice. It turned out that flowing magma melted the ice, but as soon as the flow stopped, the ice reformed. Perhaps that's your problem?
I notice that,  but thanks anyway. Shame one of the blockages is at the outlet of a pump stack - I'll have to move the top pump across to get around the cold spots.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: November 03, 2013, 08:49:43 pm »

Would my fort be safe if I put constructed fortifications next to a stream (and then channel the streambank) for water access to the fort itself? I've heard of some glitches where creatures can pass through fortifications, mainly I'm just wondering if zombies will get into the well system.

From what I understand, they won't get through unless water pushes them through or the fortification is fully submerged.
Double fortifications won't hurt, though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: November 04, 2013, 12:15:48 pm »

Question regarding weapons in weapon traps, which attack is used or is the attack choice random? I believe it's random, but just wondering for clarification here.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: November 04, 2013, 05:18:05 pm »

I used the "fix diplomats" dfhach to create the elf diplomat and I got one visit from them, but since years have passed without anything happening. Are they not suppose to show up every year?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: November 04, 2013, 05:22:16 pm »

yep, they're supposed to show up every year with the caravan
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: November 05, 2013, 03:19:28 am »

yep, they're supposed to show up every year with the caravan

I thought the Elven diplomats showed up once, then only showed up at a certain wealth/population level afterwards?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: November 05, 2013, 03:25:27 pm »

The elves have started to show up now :)

Next question: Is it possible for a FB to go up through a well? it somehow managed to get inside, and that is my best bid.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: November 05, 2013, 03:36:25 pm »

wells are a well known security risk. Yes, flying creatures can fly up a well, which is why you need a secure water source or some other measure to prevent them comming up
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: November 05, 2013, 04:06:39 pm »

Would my fort be safe if I put constructed fortifications next to a stream (and then channel the streambank) for water access to the fort itself? I've heard of some glitches where creatures can pass through fortifications, mainly I'm just wondering if zombies will get into the well system.

From what I understand, they won't get through unless water pushes them through or the fortification is fully submerged.
Double fortifications won't hurt, though.

You can also have your tunnel lead to a reservoir deep under your fortress with nothing but a vertical shaft for your well. If you have it move diagonally at least one time, it will remove the water presure and associated fun you'd normally have in a straight tunnel.

That plus a few fortifications would probably ensure you are safe from anything but really lucky  flying amphibious or flying non-breathing enemies.

I usually do this by a stair to a short tunnel leading to a single channel on successive levels, then walling off the channelled out shaft once all the stone is dumped out of it and the walls engraved, though the last parts are optional.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: November 05, 2013, 05:54:03 pm »

Thank you guys.

I do already have a underground reservoir, but later found a under ground lake and thought. Why not have a reserve, and that costed the life of my top smith :S

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: November 06, 2013, 12:47:13 pm »

Somehow I managed to trap a dwarf into a cage. How do I release him again?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: November 06, 2013, 12:55:55 pm »

I think the only way is to build the cage and then link it to a lever to release the dwarf. Had it happen a few times myself.

Although building the cage and unassigning the occupant might work.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: November 06, 2013, 01:13:43 pm »

Thank you, unfortunately he is now dead, but then I will be able to save the next one.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: November 06, 2013, 06:50:46 pm »

I learned the hard way that a well is not safe from Forgotten Beast, but what about floors and hatches?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: November 06, 2013, 06:57:45 pm »

I learned the hard way that a well is not safe from Forgotten Beast, but what about floors and hatches?

Floors are constructions, they cannot be destroyed by creatures. Hatches may be, depending on how they are built. Building destroyers have trouble destroying things from below.
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 422