Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879315 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5160 on: September 10, 2013, 03:09:36 pm »

I embarked with a ton of bituminous coal, but unexpectedly gained early access to magma workshops. What is the best use for 81 units of coal?

Steel.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: September 10, 2013, 05:16:18 pm »

Since nobody is answering my question over in DFhack thread, how do I get the farmers workshops to automatically proccess plants into thread? I was trying to get the workflow material to be rope weed and pig tail only but the workflow order isn't appearing, or rather it just doesn't take, or something.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: September 10, 2013, 05:39:43 pm »

If you have  repeating job lined up when you enable workflow, it'll protect it.

{p}rocess plants will only work against rope weed and pig tails.  I don't know how to write the workflow command though.  You can probably do it via the gui/workflow though.  Haven't messed with that much.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: September 10, 2013, 09:15:04 pm »

I don't know a thing about the workflow plugin, but if you set up a workshop with a stockpile that only accepts rope reeds and pig tails and feed that to a workshop that's controlled by workflow that might get you something close to what you're looking for.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: September 10, 2013, 09:55:23 pm »

You can also use modding, for the next fortress. Reactions defined in the raws can be given the [AUTOMATIC] token.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: September 11, 2013, 06:42:01 am »

Not if its  on !!!FIRE!!! though.

Well it didn't show up as being on fire, even though it was constantly smoking and it burnt down the nearby moss.

Put walls around said smoking artifact if you have to, then make a channel above it and make it into a pond.

I solved it by building a platform one level higher, and designating the open tile directly above the artifact as a pond. Took some time but it did the trick.

lilopuppy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: September 11, 2013, 09:52:19 am »

If you assign your medical dwarves to a burrow within your hospital zone, how do you make them get water? Do I have to build a well or a pond in the burrow? I tried adding the artificial pond but it's outside the hospital zone, z-levels above, I created but the job cancellation 'can't reach water' still occurs.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:54:00 am by lilopuppy »

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: September 11, 2013, 10:21:16 am »

You could add the pond to the burrow. Burrows don't have to be contiguous and only affect the location of available items for jobs; i.e. dwarfs can leave the burrow to get to an item that's in the burrow.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: September 11, 2013, 01:25:19 pm »

Since nobody is answering my question over in DFhack thread, how do I get the farmers workshops to automatically proccess plants into thread? I was trying to get the workflow material to be rope weed and pig tail only but the workflow order isn't appearing, or rather it just doesn't take, or something.
Simple, just have the "process plants" job on repeat in the workshop. Then for workflow have an insanely large limit placed on thread. For instance, in my fort, I have 6 repeating jobs in the farmer's workshop. They are:
Spin Thread
Shear Creature
Process Plants
Process Plants (Bag)
Milk Creature
Make Cheese

I don't have Process Plants (Barrel), Process Plants (Vial) because I don't want syrup or gnomeblight... For workflow, the following commands control the output.

workflow amount THREAD 10000 1000
workflow amount LEAVES 10000 1000
workflow amount LIQUID_MISC/MILK 10 5
workflow amount CORPSEPIECE/YARN 10000 1000
workflow amount CHEESE 10000 1000

Notice that the limits are rather insane. I don't expect them to ever be reached. But it causes workflow to unsuspend the required jobs because the limit hasn't been reached. Unfortunately, workflow doesn't really understand wool and thread and as such doesn't properly control the "Spin Thread" job. It sees that my thread on hand is too low and considers that the Shear Animal task will help correct that shortcoming. But it doesn't understand that Spin Thread is also needed. So the wool accumulates in the stockpile until I periodically get around to the Farmer's workshop and manually unsuspend the spin thread job. But it does insure that my animals are shorn on a regular basis and therefore I usually have a fair amount of wool to spin into thread.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: September 11, 2013, 02:38:56 pm »

Question regarding volcanoes which is pretty critical for my plan, now, I know volcano tubes refill at the top, but if I obsidianify the first z level on top and then mine that out, will the volcano attempt to refill at the origional top of the pipe?

I want to trim down the volcano pipe somewhat, though I haven't decided just how far yet. Haven't decided whether to use a pump stack or play with minecarts either, depends on whether I use the cavern below or the brook as the water source.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:43:23 pm by smjjames »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: September 11, 2013, 02:57:47 pm »

I think that, yes, it will refill to the original top level
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: September 11, 2013, 03:02:45 pm »

Even if the pipe walls don't exist anymore?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: September 11, 2013, 03:12:58 pm »

I never tried that. Give it a try and tell us the result. I'm putting 50 dorfbuck on "lava, lava everywhere!" (it's lava when it's out of the volcano, right? Otherwise make it "magma, magma everywhere!")
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: September 11, 2013, 03:19:50 pm »

I never tried that. Give it a try and tell us the result. I'm putting 50 dorfbuck on "lava, lava everywhere!" (it's lava when it's out of the volcano, right? Otherwise make it "magma, magma everywhere!")

Even though the game calls it magma no matter where it is, you're correct. I'll take some precautions.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: September 11, 2013, 03:25:41 pm »

I'm really curious, btw. I can't recall anyone else doing it for sure, though I vaguely recall that something like this might be possible, but my memory is notorious for being inaccurate. Good luck and over to you, engineer!
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 422