Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879569 times)

Looger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4785 on: July 01, 2013, 04:35:09 am »

okay, that was my mistake. Now it works. thank you.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: July 01, 2013, 11:18:41 am »

On the subject of Minecarts, I have a quick question about rollers.

In my last fort I was in the process of making a spiral double track down to where I was going to do some extensive ore digging when a Megabeast decided to come visit at the perfect time when there was a giant hole into my fort, and of course, it had dust.

Anyways, the question I have is about what speed setting I should use on the rollers to get the minecarts up the ramps with enough speed to keep going on up (less than 10 tiles to the next ramp/roller)? I had planned to do some testing but got side tracked when all of my dwarves either got eaten, splattered against the wall, or just went limp in misery.

Also if I'm totally missing something and the entire thing wont work, that would be good to know.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: July 02, 2013, 09:35:25 am »

How do you fine folks go about dealing with your excess invader items? I'm guessing that several thousand items aren't doing my FPS any favours but manually dumping all of it is proving to be a huge headache. Is my only real option to accept my dwarves stockpiling and wearing goblin-produced clothing or am I missing an obvious way of handling this? Does DFhack have a method for destroying/dumping forbidden items only?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: July 02, 2013, 10:48:24 am »

There is a way to destroy items marked for dumping through DFhack's autodump. Shouldn't be hard to find the commands in the list.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: July 02, 2013, 11:18:04 am »

Or you can get creative with magma too :)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: July 02, 2013, 11:58:22 am »

iirc, the dumping or dump/destroy from dfhack doesn't work on forbidden items
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: July 02, 2013, 12:01:41 pm »

How do you fine folks go about dealing with your excess invader items? I'm guessing that several thousand items aren't doing my FPS any favours but manually dumping all of it is proving to be a huge headache. Is my only real option to accept my dwarves stockpiling and wearing goblin-produced clothing or am I missing an obvious way of handling this? Does DFhack have a method for destroying/dumping forbidden items only?

Atom smashing.  I have 7 garbage pits located in prime goblinite collection locations.  All 7 have drawbridges linked to the same lever.  After a siege, most dwarves only have about at most 15 tiles to travel to toss junk.  With such a short distance to travel, even sieges with 50+ corpses (and many more body parts strewn about), clean up is a breeze. I do mass claiming, dumping, then melting.  Doing it in that order makes it easy for the metals to be salvaged while everything else gets trashed.  I have LNP, so melting jobs get turned on automatically when something is designated for it, and workflow makes sure that I always have enough fuel for the jobs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(The 7th pit is located on the surface and not featured in this screenshot)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:06:40 pm by VerdantSF »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: July 02, 2013, 01:25:49 pm »

I just cart them into the Depot and sell them off.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: July 02, 2013, 02:37:20 pm »

I have a stockpile for base-quality clothing, and the stockpile is also a refuse pile. Collection is generally handled by dwarves with wooden bins, though I have set up minecart routes in the past. Using a minecart in place of multiple bins for item transport means you can dump the base-quality metal armour on the refuse pile without slow bins or a trip for each item, and like the clothing the armour will degrade and rot away after a while.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: July 04, 2013, 01:41:43 pm »

An FB just died, leaving behind the salt its body was made of.  Are there any uses for FB salt?  It would be great if it could be used in prepared meals ;).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: July 04, 2013, 04:07:07 pm »

no
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: July 06, 2013, 02:00:39 am »

I wonder what the shortest 'safe' period of waving bridges would be:

as i understand it, an 'on' signal sets the bridge's 'raise/retract' protocol in motion, the 'off' signal the 'lower/extend' protocol. Each takes 100 (+/- 1) step to execute. What confuses me is the interference between 'standing orders' and incoming signals - i was working under the assumption that a bridge that's started to raise/lower but gets the opposite signal in the meantime simply cancels the old job. I'm not sure of this, though, because my experiences suggest that a bridge can instead take the new signal and just chain it up with the old one, executing both in short succession. If this actually happens (not too sure of my counts), this may be specific to which order's the 'old' one and which 'new' order tries to interfere with it. If there's an order that reliably chains up two opposed signals without mutual or one-way abortion, a bridge could theoretically work on, say, a 150-tick cycle, being in one state for 50 ticks and another for 100. But i'm too dumb to even test this, i can't get the logic worked out.

Is there some usable rhyme and reason to signal entanglement, or is the only sane option to just go for a slightly-over-200 period, making sure that the bridge has time for processing the last-received signal fully before sending the next one?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: July 06, 2013, 03:26:03 am »

once a signal is recieved, the bridge starts to open or close as ordered and doesn't react to any other signal untill done, nor are orders queued. It's very easy to see when giving two "pull lever" orders for a bridge lever. Usually the puller does both in quick succession, but the bridge only reacts to the first

that is what I think, anyway

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: July 06, 2013, 04:10:46 pm »

Quick question relating to the Great Clothing Conundrum. I seem to have established that dwarves will not dump owned items, so even if you mark "X" clothing for it in the stocks screen, it won't help. However, using DFhack's "cleanowned" command with the X variable seems to send the little monsters scurrying to dump things. Has anyone else observed this? Or do dwarves dump owned items, and I just haven't been paying attention?

And of course, the big question - do they don new clothes once their old ones have made their peace with the Magma?

EDIT: Obviously, this is because "cleanowned' CONFISCATES the items in question, first. Nevermind me, I'm an idiot.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:19:12 pm by Demetrious »
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: July 06, 2013, 04:55:06 pm »

That's correct.  Worth noting though is that clothing that's dropped in a public area loses ownership eventually, as does clothing that is forbidden in a private room (bedroom, office and dining room presumably).

As for your other question: as far as I know dwarves only drop clothing to pick new clothing up, so yes.  Even if the clothing is extremely worn they'll hang on to it until something else becomes available, at which point they drop the old stuff and claim and wear the new clothing.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 422