Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879896 times)

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4290 on: April 05, 2013, 05:23:35 pm »

Metal; shittons of silver laying around.
And you've checked to make sure the jugs are empty? And there's no stockpile set to give to the press?
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

yoditax

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: April 05, 2013, 05:55:27 pm »

Might anyone enlighten me as to why may my Marksdwarves not training?. This hasn't happened to me with normal melee dwarves
I've done the following:
-Assign them barracks (which are on the left)
-Assigned them each of those targets to be training ground
-Assigned each of those targets (with W) so that the dwarves shoot from botton to top
-Edited schedule so that 8 dwarves are training at all times (squad has 9 total)
-Made sure there are wooden bolts (Jesus, there are like 1k)

Edit: I can't into bbcode
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:02:29 pm by yoditax »

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: April 05, 2013, 06:49:14 pm »

Have you tried making the squad inactive (and removing all of their labors so they don't try to do civilian tasks)?

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: April 05, 2013, 07:38:09 pm »

Have you tried making the squad inactive (and removing all of their labors so they don't try to do civilian tasks)?

this: marksdwarves train slightly differently from melee soldiers. When they are idle, they'll take up firing at the archery range. While on duty, they'll do dodging practice / combat drills in their barracks. So make sure the squad is inactive, or make it active but with no training orders through the year.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

yoditax

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: April 05, 2013, 11:05:54 pm »

this: marksdwarves train slightly differently from melee soldiers. When they are idle, they'll take up firing at the archery range. While on duty, they'll do dodging practice / combat drills in their barracks. So make sure the squad is inactive, or make it active but with no training orders through the year.

Well, that was retarded, but it worked guys. Thanks.

oggimog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: April 06, 2013, 03:00:01 am »

Hi, I started putting all my goods into bins. Now DF tells me, I don't have enough mechanisms but I have over 40 in my stock. However I noticed I also stored them in bins. Can't the dwarfs use mechanisms from bins?

ps: and is there a good way to get them out again? :D

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: April 06, 2013, 03:56:51 am »

Enough mechanisms for what?
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

oggimog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: April 06, 2013, 04:43:58 am »

Ah, sorry. For linking a lever.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: April 06, 2013, 04:51:44 am »

Hi, I started putting all my goods into bins. Now DF tells me, I don't have enough mechanisms but I have over 40 in my stock. However I noticed I also stored them in bins. Can't the dwarfs use mechanisms from bins?

ps: and is there a good way to get them out again? :D

mechanisms shouldn't usually be stored in bins - I've never seen that happen before. Perhaps the bins are currently being held to receive more items, which is why they are not showing as available.

The way I use for emptying a bin is straightforward: 'd'-'b'-'d' and mark the bin for dumping. Then loo'k' at the bin & unmark it for dumping. The contents will be marked for dumping but not the bin - so the dwarves will take the items out and dump them. (Compare how you strip a goblin in a cage - it's the same set up)

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.

oggimog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: April 06, 2013, 05:08:19 am »

Thats strange. I constructed some more mechanisms and did not store them in bins, and I can use these now. The mechanisms in the bins are still unavailable. Maybe it is also some error from masterworks mod.

Irthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: April 06, 2013, 05:11:55 am »

Does magma flow follow anastomosis (joints of vessels) principle?
I made an experiment, in which it did not, but I want to make sure.

Let`s say that we have a volcano, and an empty cistern , connected with it by the bottom tube (picture below).

**VVVV***********
**VVVV***xx******
**VVVV***xx******
**VVVV***xx******
**VVVV***xx******  <-- will this and further up levels of cisternfill?
**VVVVxxxxxxx*****
**VVVV***********

* - earth
V - volcano with magma
x - dug out earth (tube + cistern)

Is it possible the in some time or with some condition lava will flow upwards?
The whole idea is about transferring a portion of lava from volcano to aqueduct for future fill of magma moats, magma forges and traps.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: April 06, 2013, 06:56:22 am »

Irthos: visit the wiki on pressure - http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Pressure Particularly the 'magma in a u-bend' section.

Irthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: April 06, 2013, 01:52:03 pm »

Thank you very much for the answer zooeyglass! I missed that wiki part somehow.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:03:52 am by Irthos »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: April 07, 2013, 08:45:15 am »

The mechanisms in the bins are still unavailable. Maybe it is also some error from masterworks mod.
Maybe they're some modded thing that are only called mechanisms. Mechanisms (actual mechanisms, not things with the label 'mechanism') are found in the furniture section of the stockpile settings, and have their own entry in the stocks list. If your things in bins aren't hauled to furniture stockpile and aren't in the 'mechanisms' section of the stocks list, they aren't mechanisms.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: April 12, 2013, 02:51:00 pm »

Some absolute dimwit managed to get run over by a minecart set to 'guide'. Crushed his hand.

HOW. How did this happen. This is the first accident in over a decade.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 422