Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880107 times)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4125 on: March 03, 2013, 08:31:06 pm »

Nope, they're functionally identical.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: March 04, 2013, 04:55:06 am »

however, as fort to fort salesdwarfs are quick to point out, steel is still better than iron in every way. How? Well, first off, it has that shine that says 'lasts and lasts'. While other items last and last too, steel advertises it. See how it reflects the light? That is quality, smoothed and finished to a perfection and it could be reflecting the lights of your forge. And why would you go with second rate materials when you can get the best? For armoks sake, humans use iron. The best dwarven smiths all agree, steel is the choice of the serious metal worker. So don't be a human and get your steel anvil. It is delivered to your location on order for a slight premium. It's worth it, after all, you wouldn't want to have to sit and wait for the small chance it comes to you, would you? And if you order now, you can get this stylish forge hammer. It's limited, so order fast.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: March 04, 2013, 06:30:14 am »

I'm not aware of a functional importance of anvil quality/material/value, either, but if you want to be proud of your forges, you better make your own anvils - they can be made from three bars of iron or steel, and those made in your fort can actually have quality. You could stud them with metals and jewels. Of course, the real pros will tell you that no self-respecting artefactsmith will settle for anything less than an adamantine anvil - a steal at nine wafers, and potentially worth up to 36 000 dwarfbucks.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: March 04, 2013, 07:20:22 am »

I'm not aware of a functional importance of anvil quality/material/value, either, but if you want to be proud of your forges, you better make your own anvils - they can be made from three bars of iron or steel, and those made in your fort can actually have quality. You could stud them with metals and jewels. Of course, the real pros will tell you that no self-respecting artefactsmith will settle for anything less than an adamantine anvil - a steal at nine wafers, and potentially worth up to 36 000 dwarfbucks.

"When Style Matters"
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: March 04, 2013, 10:10:29 pm »

Thanks SO much for the help on the anvil bit. I love the forums for its own flair when it comes to giving answers.
I'm going to assume steel is best anvil for dropping on anything, as adamantine would just crumple like an aluminum bat (I learned something on weapons, yay!)

I want to know if Friendly units are susceptible to cage traps
The Kobold thieves (which I took trapavoid out of kobold code) were susceptible, but the citizens of the nearby cave JUST WALK ON TOP OF THE CAGE TRAPS

I'm partly concerned the Kobolds became what I understand are Urds, winged kobolds. I know that isn't possible, but I am just worried.

I am tempted to ask if I should just add the domesticated tag so that I can embark with kobolds and avoid this whole fiasco again of embarking on a cave.

Also, I want to know if it is ethically fine that I have been editing raw files so that I end up having my own fun. I mean, its interesting when migrants arrive, with a Giant Toad, a Giant Olm, and a GCS, and none of them have owners.
Its also amusing to see twelve little penguins get massacred by one marksdwarf

EDIT: While I'm asking, how do I build a tower?
I've seen others successfully make them, but I am hoping to make a marksdwarf tower, or two, along with a tower for my beehives
I decided to make a wall around them, and use a bridge as a door. That way if a building destroyer WERE to get near them, I don't have to worry about all my beehives BEEING gone.
I'm confused as to whether I should build a support, and an up stair, and then try to build a floor or something upwards
Last fort I tried this, it kept giving me an error that it lacked access to economic building materials, when the materials were only a z layer down, while I could build walls 20 z layers down with said materials
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:01:21 am by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: March 05, 2013, 08:19:49 am »

building up works about the same as down. You need an up stairs and above it a down stairs to be able to cross the level. The stairs themself function as a support for everything. Constructed walls have a 'floor' on top on the next level, so you don't need to make a floor there - but you can still build there (another wall for example) which wouldn't work on a constructed floor
If you want a closed roof you need a stairs on the outside to put the roof on

friendly units (like caravans) are immune to traps, but can still be hit or caught by traps if the get stunned, webbed or knocked unconcious

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: March 05, 2013, 01:12:30 pm »

Thanks SO much for the help on the anvil bit. I love the forums for its own flair when it comes to giving answers.
I'm going to assume steel is best anvil for dropping on anything, as adamantine would just crumple like an aluminum bat (I learned something on weapons, yay!)
Weight is the defining feature for dropping things, so steel wins out. IF you had a strange mood and got a lead or gold anvil, that would work even better.

I want to know if Friendly units are susceptible to cage traps
The Kobold thieves (which I took trapavoid out of kobold code) were susceptible, but the citizens of the nearby cave JUST WALK ON TOP OF THE CAGE TRAPS
Friendly units are immune to all forms of traps with the exception of pressure plates specifically set to trigger on citizens as well. Traps will block wagons though (and invaders will be immune to all traps seen by a liaison or a diplomat of their civilization while they are visiting, though rebuilding them in the exact same location will remove this).

I am tempted to ask if I should just add the domesticated tag so that I can embark with kobolds and avoid this whole fiasco again of embarking on a cave.
Fully possible, just add [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to their raws and you should be able to embark with them. Note that this could probably lead to things like kobolds become the mayor though.

Also, I want to know if it is ethically fine that I have been editing raw files so that I end up having my own fun. I mean, its interesting when migrants arrive, with a Giant Toad, a Giant Olm, and a GCS, and none of them have owners.
Its also amusing to see twelve little penguins get massacred by one marksdwarf
That's what the whole modding forum is for. :P Plenty of people do it, and the majority of our "top" forum members either run their own mods or play with them.

EDIT: While I'm asking, how do I build a tower?
I've seen others successfully make them, but I am hoping to make a marksdwarf tower, or two, along with a tower for my beehives
I decided to make a wall around them, and use a bridge as a door. That way if a building destroyer WERE to get near them, I don't have to worry about all my beehives BEEING gone.
I'm confused as to whether I should build a support, and an up stair, and then try to build a floor or something upwards
Last fort I tried this, it kept giving me an error that it lacked access to economic building materials, when the materials were only a z layer down, while I could build walls 20 z layers down with said materials
As Garath said building an up-stair and then a down or up/down stair above it should work just fine. A helpful hint is to build the walls/fortifications at the corners on a new level first, since dwarves won't build diagonally and could end up never building them if they build the ones next to them first.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: March 05, 2013, 02:35:14 pm »

I have finally downloaded the latest version of DF. The thing is, the new graphics are a pain to my eyes. Is there anyway to change this in the init folder or raws, or did I download the wrong version?
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: March 05, 2013, 02:39:17 pm »

Uh, the graphics haven't changed significantly really since DF has been released.  Were you playing with a tileset before?  Some of the prepackaged versions come with tilesets and Dwarf Therapist built in I think, were you using one of those before?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: March 05, 2013, 02:45:32 pm »

That may be the problem. I use the vanilla tileset and got saddled with a tileset that turns my dwarfs into vague humanoid blobs. There a way to fix this without downloading the right version? My internet is very slow.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: March 05, 2013, 03:32:54 pm »

You can download and apply any tileset that is known to work with .34.11, but I don't know the specific installation procedure.  Depending on which one you want, there should be installation instructions somewhere.

By the way, the default graphics / tileset would be the one where everything is just an ASCII character (or a little smiley face for dwarves).  If you had anything prettier than that before you were using a nonstandard tileset.  I've never used anything but the default graphics, so I don't know where you find others.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: March 05, 2013, 03:36:50 pm »

Look for this image in /data/art in your DF folder.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If it isn't there, download it and call it curses_640x300.png.

Open init.txt in /data/init and change the lines [GRAPHICS:NO] and [FONT:curses_640x300.png] .

Most things should look like they used to now. I don't know what you downloaded, but there is a chance that symbols like ores, trees, bushes etc. look screwed up because some graphical tilesets change that. In that case you'll have to download vanilla DF, there's no easy way to fix it. You can find it here, just in case.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: March 05, 2013, 06:48:31 pm »

Will using a different tile set slow my game?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: March 05, 2013, 07:01:05 pm »

Nah.  I'd be surprised if DF actually behaved any different at all under the hood when using a tileset.  Even if it did, graphics are handled by their own thread I believe.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: March 05, 2013, 08:22:39 pm »

Fully possible, just add [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to their raws and you should be able to embark with them. Note that this could probably lead to things like kobolds become the mayor though.

You sound as if that could be a bad thing?
Is there potential for Kobold eggs becoming a food source?
Further more, does this mean if I can have a Kobold Mayor, I could have Kobold citizens? I mean, without playing Kobold Camp (I am not THAT obsessed with having FUN).
Or would they just be listed as pets/livestock?
If I can have them listed as citizens, I'm hoping that means they will count to the population (meaning, no 50 kobold limit), and that I could have squads of kobolds (not as a serious militia, but just for the FUN of having 20 kobolds rush one goblin at a time).
If they do, I could raise the population qualifications for civilizations, that way I won't get too much a jump due to the kobolds reproducing

Another question (yes it seems I have a lot of these)

Also, how exactly does dwarven love go
I had two dwarves in my first actual fort (the miners) fall in love
I want to know if there is an event called a dwarven wedding
Since I know happy dwarven forts have parties at times (right before things went down hill they couldn't STOP having parties), I want to know if there is an event called a Dwarven Wedding

I personally hope there is a formal event like that (it'd be wonderful if fluff events like that started happening, with procedurally generated vows)
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 422