Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880110 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4110 on: March 01, 2013, 06:48:23 pm »

Also, first put a save up (here) for other people to take a look at, just in case they find something you didn't, then do a long and big search on the bugtracker to see if you can find anything similar and if not THEN put a report up
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: March 01, 2013, 07:20:00 pm »

It's probably a lack of points. If you don't have enough points for an item, it won't show up, and if your Quickfort profile had fewer than 200 points spare after you made it you'll be short on points for the steel anvil.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: March 02, 2013, 05:50:25 pm »

During a siege, one of my Marksdwarfs decided to leave the safety of the walls to recover a quiver.  In a panic, I forbade the quiver, but now he just stands there in stasis. (job: Pick up equipment) I even allowed it again with no result.  Fortunately, the enemy formation came down the opposite hillside, so he was unscathed, but still he stands there motionless.  Will he eventually snap out of it, or did I make a mistake and doom him to starvation and thirst?
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: March 02, 2013, 05:59:10 pm »

should snap out of it, check if he's holding something (like a less valuable quiver). He might just be frozen in trying to find a place to put it down
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: March 02, 2013, 06:10:46 pm »

Try giving a station order.  That usually fixes problems with soldiers trying to pick up equipment.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: March 02, 2013, 06:52:44 pm »

Try giving a station order.  That usually fixes problems with soldiers trying to pick up equipment.

Thanks, I'm not sure if issuing stations, or finally changing the alerts to "Regular watch" did it, but he snapped out of it.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: March 03, 2013, 12:10:30 am »

As a complete noob to working with linux, how does one go about actually starting up dwarf fortress on a linux OS? I downloaded the appropriate file from the bay12 homepage and extracted it, but now I can't figure out how to actually RUN it, as there were scant few files in the compressed package and none of them is a .exe. In fact, all of them appear to be text files...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: March 03, 2013, 03:53:54 am »

When a wooden bin burns, what happens to the fireproof items in it? Do they just scatter around?

Also, migrants stopped coming to my fort, after I lost 50 dwarves to various sieges.
Oddly, I'm not getting:
"No one even considered making the journey to such a cursed death-trap this season."
like I did on previous forts, but instead I'm getting the standard "The fortress attracted no migrants this season."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: March 03, 2013, 04:26:21 am »

they need to get news that you're open to migrants again, may take some time

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: March 03, 2013, 07:10:06 am »

As a complete noob to working with linux, how does one go about actually starting up dwarf fortress on a linux OS? I downloaded the appropriate file from the bay12 homepage and extracted it, but now I can't figure out how to actually RUN it, as there were scant few files in the compressed package and none of them is a .exe. In fact, all of them appear to be text files...
Linux doesn't have .exe files; executable files don't have to be encoded which means that you can read them like text files. In this case, the right file is df . It should open if you click on it in your file manager. If it doesn't, try opening it in the terminal.

I don't know your linux distribution, but most newbie-friendly distros should allow you to right-click somewhere in the file manager with an option to "Open Terminal Here" or something similar. That saves you the trouble of navigating to the right folder with the command line.
Anyways, once you're in the df_linux folder, you can open Dwarf Fortress by typing
Code: [Select]
./df
If it opens, you're done. If not, you'll get a few error messages that you can copy-paste here and we can find out how to make it work.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: March 03, 2013, 08:00:54 am »

When a wooden bin burns, what happens to the fireproof items in it? Do they just scatter around?

Also, migrants stopped coming to my fort, after I lost 50 dwarves to various sieges.
Oddly, I'm not getting:
"No one even considered making the journey to such a cursed death-trap this season."
like I did on previous forts, but instead I'm getting the standard "The fortress attracted no migrants this season."

AFAIK, that means you didn't get enough wealth reported to attract new migrants. I think you need actual fortress-produced wealth to count for immigration: cooking lavish meals, making 30 each of every clothing item and setting up mass encrusting jobs on furniture would be quick ways to generate wealth. And you need to have a dwarf caravan trade and successfully leave the map...

That you actually get _any_ migration messages means your reported population is below the population cap, i.e. your headcount does allow migration.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: March 03, 2013, 12:23:46 pm »

So, somehow i got two successive cave-ins.

Code: [Select]
Z0
WWWWW
WIIIW
WIIIW
WIIIW
WWWWW

Z-1
WWWWW
W...W
W.I.W
W...W
WWWWW

Z-2
WWWWW
WFFFW
WF_FW
WFFFW
WWWWW

With W as Wall, I as Ice, . as open space, F as Floor and _ as future farm plot.
This is an approximation of my situation (in truth, I is an 11x11 block of ice). Naturally, I at Z-1 dropped and transformed into water. Nothing new here.
However, one month and no thawing later (glacier embark, frozen all the time), i get the message that a section of the cavern has collapsed.
Another cave-in? why?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: March 03, 2013, 01:34:41 pm »

Did the game actually zoom to that section? The game should pause and recenter on wherever the cave-in is, so that should tell a lot about what caused it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: March 03, 2013, 02:12:33 pm »

It did not rezoom IIRC.
The first was a controlled and perfectly normal cave-in, but I'm not sure the second cave-in zoomed.
If memory serves well, I was setting up the farm under the second cave in when it happened. I instantly checked whatever could have happened, but my checklist is really short on that: mining (no mining orders) and thawing (summer in a glacier embark? Yeah but why would it thaw underground?).
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: March 03, 2013, 08:29:47 pm »

Is there really a difference between iron and steel anvils?
I mean, should I really be discerning on which to pick for my embark?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 422