Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880105 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4065 on: February 23, 2013, 01:24:51 pm »

Green glass will mostly bounce off armour, but nothing arrives fully armoured unless it's made entirely of armour-class material. Stuff a corridor full of 10x serrated disc traps and you'll get somebody's weapon hand sooner or later.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: February 23, 2013, 03:46:35 pm »

If you have silver, make silver spiked balls, they are seriously deadly and galena should turn up quite some silver. Sell lead crafts and make lead statues and save your silver for traps and bolts
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: February 23, 2013, 04:00:39 pm »

On the steel > bronze > iron > copper scale, where do green glass trap components fall?
In other words, is a 5 green glass discs + 5 green glass spiked balls trap effective? If not, where does it stop being effective?
Glass can be very sharp, so I would think the serrated disks would be very effective.  Not sure if it's the best material for axe blades or spiked balls, which I assume rely more on weight than sharpness.  Still, ten of anything is going to be pretty gnarly, I say go for it.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: February 23, 2013, 06:10:14 pm »

Can you clean water or walls?

There's a few murky pools I hooked up, and they're full of clay and blood, with the walls flat-out COVERED in them both.
Dwarves got wet, and got Washed.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: February 23, 2013, 06:27:45 pm »

walls get cleaned when an adjectant floor tile is cleaned iirc. You can clean ground tiles by building a floor or something over it. Water is purified when pumped, however I don't know if the polutants will simply sit at the bottom of the pool in that case
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: February 23, 2013, 07:07:17 pm »

On the steel > bronze > iron > copper scale, where do green glass trap components fall?
In other words, is a 5 green glass discs + 5 green glass spiked balls trap effective? If not, where does it stop being effective?
Glass can be very sharp, so I would think the serrated disks would be very effective.  Not sure if it's the best material for axe blades or spiked balls, which I assume rely more on weight than sharpness.  Still, ten of anything is going to be pretty gnarly, I say go for it.
Glass is below all of those metals (so any armor other then leather will deflect it). However due to the fact that you can mass produce glass trap components and no enemies in vanilla come fully armored, it still works very effectively even if half of it's attacks just glance off.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: February 24, 2013, 03:23:17 pm »

I've got 50-some knee-high parasites compared to my 75 adults. The one that got a mood and made a cow bone buckler can stay, but the rest need disposed of. Do I need individual magma chambers so that none of them see the others and alert the hive-mind?
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: February 24, 2013, 03:27:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's correct.  If you're going to intentionally kill off a dwarf, it needs to happen in a manner such that nobody else sees it happen.  Even if they die the next frame, as in a mass murder system.

Actually, an atomsmasher should work just fine for getting all of them in one go.  There's no alerting at all, and no body left to dispose of discreetly.

Be prepared to slab them all, or face the consequences though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: February 24, 2013, 03:38:17 pm »

iirc someone tried it and they basically saw eachother die and alerted the hive-mind, as the op suggested. People need to die completely unobserved to avoid mood drops

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: February 24, 2013, 04:40:58 pm »

Speaking of migrants, is there a way to get them to show up with labors turned off? I mean you already drug your 15 4-year-old cousins miles out into a glacier to a spire sticking out of a valcano, did you really need to shoot your handfull of bolts at the giant polar bear as soon as you walked onto the map?
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: February 24, 2013, 04:50:37 pm »

yeah, it's in the d_init

in the df folder, data - init - d_init
there should be something you can change

Scorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: February 24, 2013, 05:36:13 pm »

Two questions:
1) How deep are deep metals? My shallow metals were weak but I haven't found the deep one(s) yet.

2) Caravans aren't leaving my depot. The only work-around I've found is to destroy the depot, at which point they leave. I can no longer trade with them and other caravans can't get in. My depot IS still accessible.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: February 24, 2013, 05:38:27 pm »

The LNP has a button to cycle through possibilities.

Question time! (again)
I embarked on a frozen ocean and dug through the ice to the white sand below. Since i'll need trees, I decided to dig a tree farm. Nothing special.
I broke into the caverns via a shaft disconnected from the actual fortress. But no moss or trees have started growing in the tree farm! Do "spores" die if they have to travel through cold (freezing even in summer) weather?
Is the inside too cold? How do I get trees?  :-*
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: February 24, 2013, 06:01:59 pm »

How, exactly, did a wild boar manage to survive a 10+ z-level drop into 7/7 water, then swim along and climb out and into my fortress.
And how do I stop it happening again, bearing in mind that the river freezes in winter and deconstructs anything build on top.
And I have no military. How do I deal with this thing?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:05:43 pm by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: February 24, 2013, 06:08:15 pm »

I embarked on a frozen ocean and dug through the ice to the white sand below. Since i'll need trees, I decided to dig a tree farm.
Are the white sand tiles Inside / Dark / Subterranean? You need subterranean tiles to grow cavern fauna.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 422