Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880061 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4005 on: February 13, 2013, 05:30:50 am »

through the bookkeeper isn't the only way to do that :p

are you playing vanilla?

It isn't? >.> And yes, I am. Or at least, I assume the Lazy Newb Pack is vanilla.

(d)(b)(f), or looking into a shop or on a tile and forbidding are at least 2 I can think of.

In any case, your biggest problem is that your bowyer and gemcrafters have blocked themself in their workshops. The grey tiles are impassable and in front of the door. One is already dead from dehydration, for some time by the look of it.

most of your spam comes from this bowyer and gemcrafter, some from people trying to give poor Ral Solonodad a proper burial and steal his socks, most of the rest is from your farmers due to the previously mentioned problem with people grabbing whole barrels to collect a few seeds

edit:
Ral is haunting your farms on the moment of the save
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:36:39 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: February 13, 2013, 05:43:01 am »

Guess it is savegame time, then.
http://members.ziggo.nl/t.vandenadel/region1.rar

You locked the dwarves in the workshops, by building the workshops in 3x3 rooms. Workshops have impassable tiles, and in your case they block the doorway.

See the Jeweler's workshop, it has a wall of 3 impassable Xes on the right.

edit: ninja'd :)
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Tsugumi Henduluin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: February 13, 2013, 05:49:11 am »

... Right. That's what I get for not playing for a year. :p I also blame the tileset I use as the colors are virtually identical and I quite frankly did not even notice a difference until you pointed it out. Maybe I should try another one...

Problem solved, thanks a whole bunch. Much love <3

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: February 13, 2013, 10:33:57 am »

for some tilesets the unpassable tiles are hard to see. In vanilla (graphic modifications are mods too) the passable ones are a bright green X when you select their placement and the impassable ones dark green X
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Vndetta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: February 13, 2013, 08:07:32 pm »

... Right. That's what I get for not playing for a year. :p I also blame the tileset I use as the colors are virtually identical and I quite frankly did not even notice a difference until you pointed it out. Maybe I should try another one...
Aww man, that sucks! But so glad it got figured out. I keep my gamma/brightness way up when playing DF for just that reason, I can't see the difference with graphics sets at all.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:33 pm »

How many bolts of cloth fit in a bin?

How many skeins of thread fit in a bin?

Can these numbers be deduced from the raws?  If so, what would I look for?

Thank you!

Edit:  The wiki page for "container" lists the "solid capacity" for various containers.  This must be a clue!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:50:30 pm by Finn »
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: February 14, 2013, 05:00:46 am »

Hi, I have recently got back into Dwarf Fortress and I was wondering if i could have some tips / help.
Pretty much in every fortress so far I start off with a reasonably well structure workforce with nearly no idlers; however, a few migrant waves later I have 30+ idlers minimum and can not properly organize everyone's jobs. I do use Dwarf Therapist and know about custom professions as well as grouping dwarves into 'classes' (Haulers, farmers, cooks, etc...) but it doesn't seem to do much.

If anyone can share their experiences on Dwarven Labour Management and also maybe about how to create autonomous industries, it would be greatly appreciated.
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: February 14, 2013, 05:06:59 am »

don't worry, as your fortress expands and you expand the various tasks that are being performed, you'll have fewer idlers. Second thing is to disable hauling from important job guys so an idler will come in to grab a finished product and the master crafter keeps on crafting.
Alternatively, put them in the military

I usually had 50 dwarfs woring, the rest idle. Idlers are no fault of yours and will not cause major damage to the fort... relax, serious. Just play as normal. If you don't need them to work, so what? at some point you'll need them.

Though you might want to turn down the pop_cap to prevent another 150 comming in

I'm pretty sure the thread 'migrants', still on the front page as I look, has some suggestions too

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: February 14, 2013, 09:23:12 am »

Really, relax my friend. You are running a dwarf fortress, not a labor camp. Don't worry, it's normal to have such numbers depending on both the population of the fort and the number of workshops and jobs you have. There are also things as morale in there, but basically is only that. Don't worry.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: February 14, 2013, 03:33:41 pm »

Make a garbage tile and dump a few hundred stone, problem temporarily (and pointlessly) solved.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: February 14, 2013, 03:51:42 pm »

after all, after you secured food, drink and clothing, you can just pull up the drawbridge (no need to trade or let more migrants in)and sit and wait for everyone to die of old age. Everything you do after is "because I can"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: February 14, 2013, 08:33:02 pm »

Really, relax my friend. You are running a dwarf fortress, not a labor camp. Don't worry, it's normal to have such numbers depending on both the population of the fort and the number of workshops and jobs you have. There are also things as morale in there, but basically is only that. Don't worry.
This a little bit. As fortress numbers rise it is natural to have more idlers. I mean if someone is a skilled metalsmith there are obviously going to be times when you don't need any weapons/armor and aren't preparing more. Something that I have found helps dwarves be a little more productive is to set up some "dwarven exercise machines" though. Basically what you do is build some screw pumps in a room somewhere, set them all to be pumped manually, and then enable pump operating on any dwarves that aren't too important (I enable it on all of my hauler and a few of the other less useful dwarves). The dwarves will then spend their free time pumping (even though no liquid is there) which not only provides a direct reduction in the number of idlers, but it also helps to build the strength and toughness of your dwarves. Over time it can even work to change all of your haulers red, allowing for potential distinguishing between haulers and more useful dwarves at a simple glance.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: February 14, 2013, 10:50:19 pm »

How many dwarves can use a well at once? Is a well 'claimed' from the moment a dwarf decides to use it, like tasked items are?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: February 14, 2013, 11:55:26 pm »

I've been stationing them back and forth between the firing range and the ammo stockpile. It works, but I was hoping there was a way to have them keep reloading until the there's nothing left to shoot at.

The FB thing sounds like a good idea actually, I'll wait for one unknown syndromes.
So I moved things around a bit and now that the shooting gallery is actually a gallery (marksdwarves are a z-level above target) they will reload when out of ammo. I might put them on a bridge over the pit since getting them actually up next to the fortifications is a pain.
Also
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: February 15, 2013, 12:45:11 am »

How many dwarves can use a well at once? Is a well 'claimed' from the moment a dwarf decides to use it, like tasked items are?
One at a time, unless I'm mistaken.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 422